Plane watching at Maho

Burgmeister

Hi. We are visiting St Maarten in April on board the FotS and my daughter is very keen to visit Maho to watch some planes. I have had a look at schedules and it appears that we will be unlucky in that the KLM 747 doesn't arrive whilst we are there. Still, I'm sure we will still have some fun. My main question is relevant to transport between the port and Maho. I understand that we should leave ample time to return to the port in the afternoon and I guess getting a taxi to Maho will be straightforward enough but how easy is it to find a taxi for the return journey?

Thanks

Hi. We are visiting St Maarten in April on board the FotS and my daughter is very keen to visit Maho to watch some planes. I have had a look at schedules and it appears that we will be unlucky in that the KLM 747 doesn't arrive whilst we are there. Still, I'm sure we will still have some fun. My main question is relevant to transport between the port and Maho. I understand that we should leave ample time to return to the port in the afternoon and I guess getting a taxi to Maho will be straightforward enough but how easy is it to find a taxi for the return journey?

Thanks

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question but if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you where you found the schedule for the plane arrivals. We will be there March 20th and would love to know in advance what the schedule is. Thanks so much.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question but if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you where you found the schedule for the plane arrivals. We will be there March 20th and would love to know in advance what the schedule is. Thanks so much.

I went to the KLM website and tried to book a flight from Amsterdam to St maarten on the day of our visit. The only way I could do it was using Air France via Paris. KLM fly direct twice a week.

This website http://www.pjiae.com/ is the airport's own website and it gives the current flight timetable.

This website http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=SXM&airportQueryType=1 seems to give arrivals info

I went to the KLM website and tried to book a flight from Amsterdam to St maarten on the day of our visit. The only way I could do it was using Air France via Paris. KLM fly direct twice a week.

This website http://www.pjiae.com/ is the airport's own website and it gives arrival info if you need a rough idea of who/what lands during a usual day.

Awesome! Thank you so much!!

We are currently vacationing in St Martin for a couple of weeks and stopped by Maho, called Sunset by locals, yesterday. There are plenty of taxis for those of you on ships but you need to allow some extra time to get to the port because island traffic around Phillisburg can be awful and unpredictable.

Hank

I believe that the only locals that call Maho Beach 'Sunset' are in travel related businesses, and I would note that traffic around Philipsburg is rarely the problem with cruisers getting back from Maho to the Cruise Facility. The traffic problem is from the airport through the Simpson Bay area.

Cruisers coming back into Philipsburg from Orient or Dawn beach rarely have any traffic problems.

gary

Super easy to get a cab back to the ship, the taxis cruise by on the little road between the beach and the runway, holding signs saying "TAXI TO SHIP". Not a problem at all to get one.

I always suggest an air-band radio for Maho. Really fun to listen to the tower. 118.7. Also bring a hat and lots of sunscreen. Only shade is in the bars.

All of the previous posts regarding time back to the ship are correct - we were just there last Tuesday, and while it only took us 30 minutes or so to get there, it took us over an hour to get back from Maho to the cruise port. Leave enough time, and enjoy the ride!!! Once you get back to the port, you can wind down with some shopping or a cool drink at the shops in the port area.

All of the previous posts regarding time back to the ship are correct - we were just there last Tuesday, and while it only took us 30 minutes or so to get there, it took us over an hour to get back from Maho to the cruise port. Leave enough time, and enjoy the ride!!! Once you get back to the port, you can wind down with some shopping or a cool drink at the shops in the port area.

Good info. Thanks.

Looks like 5 ships were in port is that correct? What time did you leave Maho?

Archived