First Time Disney Cruiser--Disney Magic Questions

bzv143

Hi, wonderful CCers:

We have never cruised on a Disney ship and recently booked the Disney Magic out of Galveston. What are the activities for kids on board--can you give me an idea of a typical day? Are there Disney characters everywhere? Are there Pixar characters? We are bringing my 8 year old granddaughter--will she like it (she is a tomboy and loves lizards, dinosaurs, cars, etc.)?

Thanks for any info. I am clueless right now! :eek:

Hi, wonderful CCers:

We have never cruised on a Disney ship and recently booked the Disney Magic out of Galveston. What are the activities for kids on board--can you give me an idea of a typical day? Are there Disney characters everywhere? Are there Pixar characters? We are bringing my 8 year old granddaughter--will she like it (she is a tomboy and loves lizards, dinosaurs, cars, etc.)?

Thanks for any info. I am clueless right now! :eek:

Here's a link that has a sampling of the cruise Navigators (daily activities):

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-stateroom-navigator.htm

The characters will have specific photo locations throughout the day/cruise, as well as you may bump into them at any time while walking around the ship.

The only Pixar characters I've seen were on the Wonder in the Toy Story show in the theatre.

:)

No Pixar - they had a few special Pixar cruises a few months ago. The characters are not really everywhere. There's a chance you'll run into them on the ship but mostly you'll see them during the photo sessions or in the shows. There's a lot of emphasis on the Princesses but enough Mickey & his gang as well. I'm sure your granddaughter will have a great time. The kids club is excellent.

No Pixar - they had a few special Pixar cruises a few months ago. The characters are not really everywhere. There's a chance you'll run into them on the ship but mostly you'll see them during the photo sessions or in the shows. There's a lot of emphasis on the Princesses but enough Mickey & his gang as well. I'm sure your granddaughter will have a great time. The kids club is excellent.

On our last cruise we ran into Stitch at least 3 times just walking around the ship. And we had our picture taken with Minnie and Goofy at separate times on deck 4 while watching one of our sailaways in ports. We also ran into Chip N Dale on pirate night outside the Buena Vista Theatre and they posed for pictures with us. Snow While showed up while we were waiting in line to have our picture taken with Mickey on formal night. And we saw Daisy after we left the photo location.

On other cruises, we've run across the Queen of Hearts, Captn Hook, Peter Pan, Lilo & Stitch, Daisy Duck, as well as once running into (and I mean literally) Jack Sparrow.

The characters are not just at the photo locations.

The characters are not just at the photo locations.

I didn't say that. :) But it's really just a matter of luck. We ran into a couple outside of the photos sessions but they are not "everywhere". If you are going on a cruise thinking that you are going to see characters "everywhere", you're not and you may be disappointed.

Your grand daughter will be in seventh heaven....there is soooooo much for her age group to do. We are taking our grand daughters ages 8, 5 and 5 in may. Can't wait to see there faces.

You will constantly be running into the characters on board, and the shows are wonderfully done for the kids.

Have a great cruise.

I took my 6 and 3 year olds on the Magic in October and they want to go again because there was not time to do everything.

Tips for seeing characters:

*The characters "dress" in a crew that is adjacent to the area where photographs are set out for purchase (deck 4? or maybe 5? - there is an unmarked door at one end where they come in and out of). We discovered that if we spent some time in this area in the evenings (after early dinner seating) we were MUCH more likely to see characters. If I remember correctly, the crew door was on the end closest to the theater

*Wander around the area right outside the theater just before and after the shows. We saw Rapunzel hanging out on deck (between the theater and the photo-selilng area) one night before the show. Just after the show, Belle was just outside the theater, but no one noticed her because her blue day dress blended in. My daughter saw her and ran up to give her a hug; soon Belle was swamped with kids.

*Characters tended to stop and dance with us at unscheduled times - there is a small dance floor where a duo perfoms near one of the dining rooms. We danced with Chip and Dale there one night, and with Goofy another.

*Go to the themed family dance parties - characters are there, but it is usually quite crowded.

Take the time to enjoy yourself too - I put the kids in the club one evening and stood in line to see Captain Hook and Smee all by myself :D

As for activities, my oldest spent a few hours each day in the club (we were travelling with friends, so she had a built-in playmate), depending on the activities. She LOVED the shows and we took her to the movie theater several times. We only went to the pool once, and she's still mad at me that we missed seeing a movie on the pool screen.

My daughter was 8 when we sailed on the Wonder which is the sister ship for the Magic. My daughter is also a tom boy and likes animals etc. she LOVED the cruise. Many have commented on the characters and my daughter doesn't like them but they didn't take away from her cruise. She didn't go out of her way to go see them.

For activities there were a ton she did like make flubber, bake cookies, dance party in one of the clubs (innocent of course), detective thing where the looked for clues all over the ship, we did a family quest game that was so funny, and the list goes on and on. She will have a great time. If she doesn't it is because she made up her mind before boarding the ship. The cast members are awesome.

Our first cruise ever was on a disney - My son was 8, DD was 6. I barely saw my son, he had so much fun with the kids club. He got to see Stitch (his all-time favorite character) and there is a performance and photos shared at the end of the cruise of all the kids club activities. My DD is a little more shy and didn't spend as much time at the kids club, but I was very impressed overall. At Coco Cay they made sure the kids had their sunblock and all the activities were really fun for them.

They are bugging us when they get to go on another :D

Our first cruise ever was on a disney - My son was 8, DD was 6. I barely saw my son, he had so much fun with the kids club. He got to see Stitch (his all-time favorite character) and there is a performance and photos shared at the end of the cruise of all the kids club activities. My DD is a little more shy and didn't spend as much time at the kids club, but I was very impressed overall. At Coco Cay they made sure the kids had their sunblock and all the activities were really fun for them.

They are bugging us when they get to go on another :D

That would be Castaway Cay. Coco Cay is another cruiseline.

Archived