Needing Suggestions... West Bay Beach vs Turquoise Bay Resort?

Funseekers

Okay.. I have a cruise group of about 36 people (ages 10-50) and were planning on going to West Bay Beach for the day. The tour company is telling me that the hotels are now charging and recommended that we go to Turquoise Bay Resort. I have personally been to West Bay a few years ago and LOVED it.. But I no NOTHING about Turquoise Bay.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions on this as to which you would suggest...

Thanks! :)

West Bay Beach is public. Hotels can only charge for their day passes allowing for pool, chair,hotel amenities use. The information offered to you is "shady".

Your group can head to West Bay Beach and rent chairs from any stand on the one mile long beach or park themselves on their beach towel for no cost. Your big cost will be transportation.

I answered part of this question on your other thread...

with a group of 36... things may be different. With this new information, and if you wish to go to West Bay... I would suggest you email a few of the resorts and see what the what is.

With a group that size..why not just do the Tabyana option.

Again, I would ask the tour company to clarify what the fee is for and who it goes to.

Come to think it it... I don't know where you could put a group of 36 without paying the amenities fee to a resort. You group will need amenities.. so why not just pay the resort day pass.

Turquoise Bay is going to charge you.

I agree with Guest..why not just use the Taby excursion and each can pay the fee. You can eat anywhere on the beach, snorkel, sun,stroll.

I don't know if any of the beach clubs have the facilities that will work for all of your 36 people. And The resort that might work a day pass would only be Mayan Princess. That's too large a group for Infinity Bay Resort.

Heck....maybe some of them don't even want to beach it all day, and would rather do a tour, dive, zip etc.. Do you HAVE to plan one big beach day for all of them?:confused:

Foster's would prolly take all 36 as well... but those who want to snorkel would have to walk down to Tabyana. I tell people all the time if snorkeling is the goal Tabyana is your best bet.

I heard the snorkeling is also very good at Maya Key.

Little French Key gets alot of press as well, and plenty of toys to play with.. have a chat with them.

Thanks for all the suggestions. ;)

Yes there are 36 in our group and everyone wants to go to the beach. I have been to Roatan a couple of times before, however last time this group went we missed the West Bay Beach day as it rained all day. Its not as important that we all sit together we are just wanting to go to a nice beach for the day. I have a tour guide that is taking us so we will not be going through CCL for this. For this amount of people it is definitely a better deal to do this on our own. (which ever beach we decide)

So you think Tabyana would be the best spot for us? Maybe I can check with them and see what kind of a group rate we can get for the day... :confused:

Thanks again!;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. ;)

Yes there are 36 in our group and everyone wants to go to the beach. I have been to Roatan a couple of times before, however last time this group went we missed the West Bay Beach day as it rained all day. Its not as important that we all sit together we are just wanting to go to a nice beach for the day. I have a tour guide that is taking us so we will not be going through CCL for this. For this amount of people it is definitely a better deal to do this on our own. (which ever beach we decide)

So you think Tabyana would be the best spot for us? Maybe I can check with them and see what kind of a group rate we can get for the day... :confused:

Thanks again!;)

Sorry to be a little late with this reply but since all other opinions that you seem to have received about Turquoise Bay seemed to be from people that have not actually visited I wanted to give you some insight from someone who has actually visited.

Turquoise Bay is definitely an older, more rustic resort than some of the new modern, condominium complexes that are developing around Roatan and is probably mainly geared to divers but since you are not going for the accommodations that is not too important. It is true, as has been stated, it is away from the usual cruise ship traffic to the east and then north of the island and you would be restricted to amenities on site as there are no alternatives around to walk to. That said it has a very nice beach area. We visited last year when the "boys" of the group wanted to fish and the ladies wanted a beach day.

I am sure by now you will have visited their website http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/cruise-ship-beach-day.html

where you will see some photos, (use google images to find more) and facilities available for extra cost. Contrary to the information from the poster above there was no "day fee" for use of amenities and according to the website this appears to be the case still. Transportation can be arranged directly with the resort for $25pp according to the website but I cannot vouch for that since we had our own private driver for the day but we did not pay a day pass fee and were able to use beach, bar, pool, loungers etc. The beach area was not crowded when we were there and there was a group similar to yours that had arranged to come for the day that were part of a dancing exhibition group that were on the ship. They had negotiated a buffet luncheon I believe. We were invited to join in but we declined since we had other plans for lunch elsewhere so I cannot speak for the food, only drinks which seemed fine. We used loungers on the beach, did not get bitten by fleas the day we were there but we did apply bug spray and I think bites can be a problem anywhere on Roatan on any given day and if a person is susceptible, from what I have read.

I don't mean to sway you one way or the other, only you can decide given the desires of your group - just wanted to clear up some facts. Bottom line if you just want a beach day with some watersports, volleyball, food and drinks at a relatively quiet location, where you will probably be the main group, and the weather co-operates, I think you will be fine. If you are looking for more activity and upscale you may need to consider elsewhere. If you have any further questions I will try and help.

Archived