Escargot shortage

Breezy72

Taken from John Heald's blog:

"Yep, escargot, so many people love them and in the dining rooms on our ships they are a popular order indeed. So then it is with sadness that lovers of the little slimy bastards that I have to tell you that due to more terrible droughts in Indonesia where they are sourced from, Carnival and other major cruise lines have had to take it off the menu for now. We have enough for our steakhouses but not enough for the hundreds of orders per week across the fleet. Now our Fleet Executive Chef Peter tells me a new source is on its way, and before the end of the month, it will be available on all ships again. I am sure that will please many to know that escargot will be back soon and you will be sitting in the dining room enjoying a portion of snails topped with garlic so you will indeed for that moment be as French as the Eifel Tower."

Well, poop. I was actually looking forward to them for my cruise this week! I missed them on my Dream cruise in July, so figured I needed to book another cruise just for them. Guess I just need another cruise in a couple months! ;)

I won't eat anything that crawls in my garden and eats my plants. No big loss to me that they aren't being served. :eek:

but bet you that you eat things that eat grass and fly poop and fart like crazy polluting our air.

Well, I'm glad CCL will get them back in stock soon. I've still got about 9 months until my next CCL cruise, so here's hoping they are back on the menu by then.

RCI was out of them for awhile too. But they were back on the menu last month when we cruised on Vision of the Seas. They were also incredibly delicious, I had two orders! :D

Hmmmm. They have a "shortage" but seem to have enough for their "pay" venue? Wink-wink-nudge-nudge-say no more!

LOL! You just can't make this stuff up...

....maybe because there are less orders generated and wasted in the Steakhouses? :rolleyes:

But when they bring them back... will there or won't there be a 15 snail per day per person limit?!?!?! :rolleyes:

You can have more if the server does not detect uncontrollable snail breath and the ones that you've eaten haven't visibly slowed you down.:cool:

Hmmmm. They have a "shortage" but seem to have enough for their "pay" venue? Wink-wink-nudge-nudge-say no more!

LOL! You just can't make this stuff up...

So CCL has to pay more for snails because of the shortage and has determined that they can offer them in the venue that charges $35 a person but that they cannot offer them to everyone without having to cut something else. "Shortage" does not mean that the supply has dried up completely (unintentional pun).

Archived