Random dining questions

Kierste

We are planning to cruise on the pearl in the next couple years (haven't quite booked, but soon!)

We are used to Mexico all-inclusives, so bear with my questions...

Am I correct that you can eat at a buffet or a mdr (off a menu) for all 3 meals each day?

Specialty places to eat are dinner only... What is the earliest seating? Do people not do these the 1st night because it is special food in the mdr?

I have read about lobster night? Mdr on the 1st night--the pearl has two, would it be at both or just the bigger one? That would be a must for my mom.

Chocolate buffet? Is this with dinner (mdr or buffet or both?) on a certain night or a late night thing?? I am hoping they only do it late if it is a sea day the next day?

I know coffee is included, what about espresso? What does that run per cup? And if I wanted a shot of baileys in my cappuccino, what does that cost approx?

Is soda cheap? I can't imagine drinking more than a couple a day, but with 3 adults that is 6 a day... If it is $2 each, that is $120 for a 10 day cruise... it sounds smarter to just bring some on board with us, or is that a pain?

And can you get a cup of water anytime, anywhere for free? Or do you have to buy bottled water?

Continuing on the drink theme... I have read there are beer buckets available? What is this cost? And what kind of beer can you choose from? Being northwesterners we are picky about beer, but can handle Dos Equis and the like on vacay.

Tia for answering my crazy questions!

We are planning to cruise on the pearl in the next couple years (haven't quite booked, but soon!)

Am I correct that you can eat at a buffet or a mdr (off a menu) for all 3 meals each day?

Yes, and you can add to that the Blue Lagoon (diner food) that is open 24 hours a day, with no cover charge. Has great "comfort food" type things like burgers, wings, soup, artichoke dip, etc. and also serves breakfast.

Specialty places to eat are dinner only... What is the earliest seating? Do people not do these the 1st night because it is special food in the mdr?

Specialty restaurants are typically only open at dinner time, but there might be a "special" for lunch that would be posted in the Daily.... I've also seen some "best of" lunches that might include the best options from each of the restaurants. This would have a cover charge (about $15 per person)

I have read about lobster night? Mdr on the 1st night--the pearl has two, would it be at both or just the bigger one? That would be a must for my mom.

Lobster night is usually the first night in the MDR. It will be in both MDRs- they typically have the same menu as each other each night with only a couple of differences in the "always available" section of the menu. The menu has two parts: one part is available every night of the cruise, and doesn't change (4 or 5 entrees, 3 or 4 appetizers, and desserts) and varies slightly between the two dining rooms. Then the other page changes nightly (again with 3 or 4 more entrees, apps, desserts, etc) and will be the same in each dining room.

Chocolate buffet? Is this with dinner (mdr or buffet or both?) on a certain night or a late night thing?? I am hoping they only do it late if it is a sea day the next day?

It is usually set up in the buffet or sometimes a restaurant, but is different on every ship (as well as the night- try to ask people on a previous sailing of your itinerary for details). It will be posted in the Daily, so you won't miss it. It is typically at night- 9:00 or 10:00, so not right after dinner.

I know coffee is included, what about espresso? What does that run per cup? And if I wanted a shot of baileys in my cappuccino, what does that cost approx?

Espresso and cappuccino are NOT included, although on some ships there is a self serve espresso cappuccino machine in the buffet area. I don't know the cost of these at dinner time- my guess would be around $3-5. Don't remember on the Baileys either, but probably $5-6.

Is soda cheap? I can't imagine drinking more than a couple a day, but with 3 adults that is 6 a day... If it is $2 each, that is $120 for a 10 day cruise... it sounds smarter to just bring some on board with us, or is that a pain?

Not a pain- you will have a fridge in your room and can keep it stocked with your own pop. There's also a "soda package" where you pay a flat fee and it's all the soda you can drink for the week- I don't know the price, but others here will.

And can you get a cup of water anytime, anywhere for free? Or do you have to buy bottled water?

water on the ship is filtered very well and delicious. You can always get water. You can bring water on board if you like, but it's not necessary.

Continuing on the drink theme... I have read there are beer buckets available? What is this cost? And what kind of beer can you choose from? Being northwesterners we are picky about beer, but can handle Dos Equis and the like on vacay.

I think the buckets of beer are around $30 for 6. Don't know the kinds...

Please see above for answers- I hope that helps!

You can actually 24/7 on the ship. There is always some type of buffet open. The MDRs are open for the 3 meals a day. I believe the earliest dinner is at 5:30pm.

I think some specialtys are open for lunch but that may just be for suite guests, maybe they can answer that one.

Both MDRs have lobster night (lobster tails) the 1st night. Again 5:30 is the earliest you can go. There may be a wait from 6-7:30 so we always went earlier.

Chocolate buffet was at 10pm one night and I missed it.:(.

Someone else will have to answer this one. I have no clue other than coffee is available in many places for free but not espresso or any additives.

I would recommend bringing your own case of soda. They only have pepsi products and a soda is over $2.00 plus gratuity. They have a soda plan for $40 something pp for a 7 night cruise.

You can get water anytime for free as long as it is not bottled. I brought a water bottle and filled it in my cabin using the ice from our ice bucket that I asked my room steward to keep filled. It tasted fine. I also could refill it at the buffet stations 24/7.

My husband bought a beer bucket which was 6 beers for the price of 5. It was $30. I have read here on CC that there is a 2 for 1 at certain times and I would recommend that so you get twice as much. We had just returned from Jamaica so he got Red Stripe and loved it!

I hope you have a great time as we sure did. We did the Western Caribbean on the Pearl Dec 16 -23 2012. She is a great ship. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask. I am also working on my review and I have posted the 1st day so far and will be adding pics to it. I will say that the freestyle dining is the best way to cruise.

I can chime in on the soda. We always carry on some diet coke, just slap a luggage sticker on the pack and it appears in your room (in NY anyway). The soda package is only good for fountain sodas, which. Found to be a little lacking in the carbonation quality (I love my bubbles!) I didn't even say anything to our room steward, he emptied out the mini bar and put my soda in while we were out exploring. Guess it was good i didn't smuggle anything in that 12 pack lol!

The buckets of beer were priced the same, except for a few specialty beers...I want to say new castle was more for some reason but corona, corona light, bud lights, Sam Adams, bud, and maybe miller light(?) were all in the 28 a bucket range. And...remember that you will pay tax on beverages when you are in a port, but not while at sea. Just a random tidbit i thought i would throw in!

Oh, and all of the specialty restaurants and MDRs are typically open from 5:30-10:00, no set dining time. For specialty restaurants you might make a reservation in case it gets full- but we've rarely had trouble even with walking in the day-of.

You guys rock! :D

So the $ I save on soda by bringing my own on board I'll spend on my cappuccino... Lol... At least I know!

And I am glad the chocolate buffet isn't at midnight or something... 10 pm I can do... But I have a dd who wouldn't want to miss it, and I wouldn't want her up that late!

Archived