Suggestions for MUST BRING

SeaHoliday

I'm in the "less is more" camp after bringing enough on my first cruise to outfit an entire village for a month!

Passport, credit card, $1 bills, toothbrush, clean underwear...and maybe a camera and your cabinmate/spouse/whatnot ~ that works for me!

Ipod and headphones. Its hard for me to fall asleep in beds that are not mine so turning on some music helps.

A book for beach day. Every cruise one of the port days we just hang out at the beach instead of doing an excursion. I have a kindle but I don't want to risk it getting sandy and wet so I pick up an easy read paper back to enjoy.

From experience,

If you think that you may need certain things that ladies use, then pack some.

Even if you don't need them someone else might.

When I checked in the shop they had one kind which was the plain old fashioned kind.

Once I forgot my deodorant.

The only deodorant I could find in the shops on board was $17 and smelled really perfumey.

As for things that come in handy, but are not absolutely necessary, I like to have a few zip lock bags in various sizes as they are useful for many various purposes.

I also take some of those purex laundry detergent sheet thingies.

I have them if I need them and they smell good in the suitcase.

I can also tuck one into a plastic bag with not quite dry swim suits or whatever for the trip home.

A flashlight is also a good thing to have.

Not to go all concordia or anything, but it is always good to have one close by.

Another item that is fun is some small binoculars.

I used them a lot one port day in Calica when we stayed on the ship.

It was raining and I was feeling ill, but we used them to watch the fisherman and it was fun to kind of live vicariously when they caught something.

It is also good to bring whatever you use on sunburn.

I plan to avoid being sunburned, but it happens quick in the Caribbean and if you miss a spot with the sunscreen, you will know in a couple of hours.

I really don't know what causes the delayed reaction sunburns.

You think you are fine and then two hours later, oh dear!

I wonder sometimes what happens later to the people I see who are obviously burned.

Battery powered candles are handy- they provide romantic lighting in the room or on the balcony and can be used as a night light or light source while walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Dry erase markers to write messages on the mirror.

Suction cup hooks for the shower to hang body pouf on. And suction cup shower caddy if you use more than just shampoo & body wash.

Many good ideas here. Ones I'd like to restate are the OTC medications and flashlight. I have needed both. We also like the over the door shoe hanger - I think that is what you call it. It's one of those things you can hang up and it has many compartments to put in various bathroom supplies. It really has made a difference for us.

The other thing that is new suggestion for me (of course read it here on CC) is to scan all important information (credit card numbers, travel insurance numbers, passport, conformation numbers, ect.) and then E-mail that information to yourself. If something happens along the way and you don't have this information you can look it up.

I received a tip from Cruise Critic and won't go on a cruise without it. We pack a pop-up hamper. It fits nicely in the closet and keeps dirty clothes out of the way and easy access for laundry day. It folds flat in the suitcase we use.

We just put the dirty clothes in the suitcase under the bed. That way you don't waste space on the closet floor.

We are cruising on the Freedom on Feb 3rd. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things we HAVE to bring. I know sun screen! lol

What do you guys always bring??

Thanks!

Kari:)

One piece of luggage, carry-on!

Edited by evandbob

I bring an over the door shoe hanger on every cruise. There isn't much space on the counter in the bathroom, so we use the individual slots for sunscreen, hairbrushes, excursion tickets, etc. Plus it is on the outside of the closet door and we have very little trouble finding what we need. Mine was $5 at Target.

I also bring a highlighter to highlight the activities I want to do in the Fun Times. It also helps with the activities at Camp Carnival, as those are given out at once for the entire cruise.

We bring our own soda in 12 packs and a plastic cup.

You may want to take a light sweater or jacket that you can wear with everything, because it gets kinda chilly in the dining rooms and in the shows at night -

Also, I took some of those Miralax packets and some stool softeners on our last trip, good thing because my son ended up needing them!

I wish I would have taken some cold medicine, because I got the sniffles and a sore throat while on my trip, and they had very very limited cold medicines in the shop on the boat, and they were really pricey!