Make your own Rum Punch Onboard

Here is a simple recipe I use to make delicious rum punch onboard ship. It is modified from Bobby Flay's "Original" Recipe for what you may have on hand for juices:

Cruising Rum Punch Recipe:

1 part Orange Juice

1 part "Other" Juice

1 part Rum

1/3 part Water with Cherry-Lime Crystal Light (to taste or premixed)

Dash of Nutmeg (Optional)

I stumbled upon this drink when I accidentally (honestly it was accidental) brought a small bottle of cruzan vanilla rum onboard from St. Thomas and mixed it with juice and some crystal light cherry lime. I don't remember exactly how I mixed it so I experimented with different juices and Bobby Flay's recipe at home to come up with a close match. I prefer Tortuga Vanilla Rum which makes any mixed drink fantastic, but you can pre-order white and/or light rum from the bon voyage department.

There are two options for measuring the mixers/alcohol -

Pre-mark a sports bottle at home (12oz. line for juice, 6 oz. line for alcohol, and 2 oz. line for Cherry Lime Water)

Use the "parts" with any glass available

Remember to buy Crystal Light Cherry-Lime at the grocery store or walmart (their off brand is good) and bring with you onboard. This is the beauty of this drink, being able to carry a small compact mixer which adds the delicious sour edge. An alternative flavor would be tropical punch (ask for a lime wedge at any bar to add a little sour). If you like the Caribbean versions add the dash of nutmeg.

To save money get the free juice in the morning. I always use a large sports bottle to get the juice. You can measure it to the pre-marked juice line, or simply fill the whole sports bottle and use any glass to measure out into another glass/sports bottle to mix your drink - your choice. I mix two juices together - orange and whatever else is available like pineapple, grapefruit, guava, cranberry,etc. The only juice that doesn't seem to work is Apple or Grape.

If you know you are going to use Orange and Lemonade I would modify the recipe to this:

Rum Punch Recipe with Lemonade:

1 1/2 part Orange Juice

1/2 part Lemonade

1 part Rum

1/3 part Water with Cherry or Cherry-Lime Crystal Light (to taste or premixed)

Dash of Nutmeg (Optional)

Of course you can make the drink stronger to your own taste. Also I prefer white or light rum but if you want to use spiced rum (which works better if you only have Crystal Light tropical punch) try this:

Spiced Rum Punch Recipe:

1 part Orange Juice

1 part "Other" Juice

1/3 part Spiced Rum

2/3 part White Rum

1/3 part Water with Tropical Punch Crystal Light (to taste or premixed)

If you want to make this at home or get grenadine and lime juice on the ship you can of course use Bobby Flay's original recipe:

Spiced Rum Punch Recipe:

1/2 part Lime Juice (1 cup lime juice)

1 part Grenadine (2 cups grenadine)

1 part Orange Juice (2 cups orange juice)

1 part Pineapple Juice (2 cups pineapple juice)

1 part White Rum (2 cups white rum)

1/2 part Light Rum (1 cup light rum)

Pinch of Nutmeg (Optional)

However you make this come back and tell me your experiences, and ENJOY!! :D

L.A.S.T.

Yeah I have "accidentally" got back on the ship in port with bottles of alcohol in my shirt. They probably wonder why I have my tshirt tucked into my board shorts.

Oh my, that is hilarious! In my case I actually put the alcohol into the scanner and neither security or I noticed! I forgot about it until the last sea day. :o

L.A.S.T.

Call me a minimalist but my "rum punch" recipe is a little more simple...

Glass

Ice

Rum

Mixer, preferably POG juice.

Mix and stir to taste or level of alcohol needed to enjoy the occasion.

That's mine too, but I use Cherry Rum.

Archived