Air Deviation for 1022/13 - When to Book Flights?

FPJC03

We are sailing on the Mariner on 10/24 out of Monte Carlo, starting in Cleveland, OH. Would like to come in 2 days early to enjoy the countryside and unwind. Our 270 day timeline for air deviation begins end of January. Right now, flights from CLE to NCE, returning from Venice on 10/31 are between $1250 and $1400 US. Should we wait a few months before booking air to see if fares come down?

If you're planning an air deviation through Regent, don't worry about the fares. Regent enters into contracts for their flights with various airlines. You or your TA can call the Regent Air Desk to find out which airlines Regent is using. There are only a fixed number of contracted seats on each flight. So if you want the best itinerary possible, you should tell Regent what you want as close to 270 days as possible. BTW, if you want to arrive two days early for your 10/24 cruise, you should leave Cleveland on 10/21 instead of 10/22. :D

Thanks Dave for the info and recommendation. I have looked online to see the best flights with shortest layover (except for customs checks) and most convenient departure and arrival times. For our city, looks like Delta has the best connections, although we are United FF members. What would the upcharge be for going to biz class? Think it might be worthwhile for a 8-9 hour flight.

The cost to upgrade to Business Class on your itinerary is $999/person each way or $4,000. If you are in a penthouse suite, there is no charge on this itinerary to upgrade to Business Class.

I agree with Dave about booking as close to the 270 day mark as possible and not to pay attention to cost. However, we take a slightly different approach with our TA. We come up with 2-3 flights that we would like and give the flight numbers, etc. to our TA in an email. They send the flights to Regent Air and usually receive approval on one of them.

Everyone wants to book air as early as possible to better their chances to obtain the best flights.

An issue to remember is that it is the return flight that governs how soon booking can be made. Example: If using the 270 day threshold, it will be that many days from the date you want to return after the voyage.

Therefore, if you intend to book as soon as possible and plan to spend days prior to or after the voyage, plan to spend them at the embarkation port. If you wish to spend three days extra at the disembarkation port, folks departing right after the voyage will obtain their air reservations three days before you.

However, in my opinion, you should not let air govern your vacation. Regent always seems to come-up with an acceptable solution.

Everyone wants to book air as early as possible to better their chances to obtain the best flights.

An issue to remember is that it is the return flight that governs how soon booking can be made. Example: If using the 270 day threshold, it will be that many days from the date you want to return after the voyage.

Therefore, if you intend to book as soon as possible and plan to spend days prior to or after the voyage, plan to spend them at the embarkation port. If you wish to spend three days extra at the disembarkation port, folks departing right after the voyage will obtain their air reservations three days before you.

However, in my opinion, you should not let air govern your vacation. Regent always seems to come-up with an acceptable solution.

Interesting. I've done air deviations with Regent a couple of times (in 2010 and 2012). Both times, flights, including return flights, were obtained about 270 days before the first flight. On both cruises the return flights were over 30 days after the date of the first flight. I've run into the Return date rule when making frequent flyer reservations but never when making an air deviation reservation through Regent.

Sailing on Mariner on 7-day cruise - Monte Carlo to Venice. Was originally going to do one night POST hotel but have to get home right away. So decided on doing 2 nite PRE hotel, using the credit and staying 2 nites in NICE. So air deviation would be required, just wondering when I can call - 270 days before DEPARTING flight or 270 days before RETURN flight?

Sailing on Mariner on 7-day cruise - Monte Carlo to Venice. Was originally going to do one night POST hotel but have to get home right away. So decided on doing 2 nite PRE hotel, using the credit and staying 2 nites in NICE. So air deviation would be required, just wondering when I can call - 270 days before DEPARTING flight or 270 days before RETURN flight?

I booked mine as soon as I paid my deposit well before 270 days. Return date only applies to FF miles.

We did air deviation May 2012 voyager cruise Venice to Rome. You can book air 270 days in advance of sailing date. We had 1st and 2nd choice we gave to our travel agent asking him to give Regent our 1st choice only at first and we got our 1st choice immediately. Very happy and it was wonderful. Do not wait - to get the flights you want book early!!

Archived