Snorkel tour via boat VS West Bay beach dives

xrxpx

All,

I have read every page on the extensive snorkel post and a few others though all the info seems to be West Bay related only. I am looking for a good day of snorkeling and hanging out on the beach or a boat and while I dont mind slight crowds I want to avoid crowded beaches. It seems the West Bay is a great snorkel spot, but with the con of being crowded.

Is there a boat tour anyone would recommend? I have researched here and elsewhere and though I have found tours, I cannot find reviews.

If the snorkeling is way better at West Bay, then perhaps I will just deal with the crowds.

Your information is very appreciated.

Ryan

Tis all a matter of perception... one man's trash is another man's treasure kind of thing.

I truly enjoy the snorkeling off of West Bay, I have done so daily for weeks and never tire of it.

Many people suggest the snorkeling off of Maya Key is amazing.

Also people say the snorkeling from a boat at Little French Cay is enjoyable.

I hear very good things about Upachaya.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the snorkeling no matter where you end up.

Come to think of it Radical Adventures gets alot of good press as well. They have a catamaran.

There are many many boats that take you to the reef which is visible from the beach . After I paid $20...all by myself with a guide....I sat on the beach and said, "I'd like to snorkel again, and I'll just swim out to the reef it's so close. So I did and had a tough time getting back to shore. First, it looks closer than it is and secondly, there are currents and you don't realize it. In sum, just go to the beach, and pick a boat for $20....it's great snorkeling.....and the beach is crowded in some areas, less so in other areas. I was at the Mayan Princess, on the opposite end of snorkeling and it was fine....Roatan's west bay beach remains one of my favorite destinations, despite almost drowning...

From my perspective it would be difficult to snorkel West Bay and a few "isolated spots." Time would be a factor.

What you could do is snorkel West Bay til you are bored then ask one of the many local guys with boats hanging about the beach to take you to Blue Channel. They may have other suggestions for snorkeling as well.

Or as I suggested above (Upachaya or Free Radical) go out with a snorkel boat and don't bother with West Bay.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived