Ipad and notebook computer question?

Mr. Rumor mentioned the long line of passengers with their Ipads and notebook computers waiting to see the computer person at the beginning of his trip.

If your Seven Seas Society level is such that you receive free access to wi-fi/internet, is there a quick and simple way to connect your personal device or is every passenger with personal equipment required to meet with the computer person to become connected.

Thanks for you help.

It is super easy to connect yourself. I have never gone to the computer room for that purpose. Totally self explanatory, but I guess some people never go to the settings on their ipad or know what to do with them.

Mr. Rumor mentioned the long line of passengers with their Ipads and notebook computers waiting to see the computer person at the beginning of his trip.

If your Seven Seas Society level is such that you receive free access to wi-fi/internet, is there a quick and simple way to connect your personal device or is every passenger with personal equipment required to meet with the computer person to become connected.

Thanks for you help.

I've been sailing with Regent since before it was free and I think the only reason you need to go to the internet room is because you either didn't read the logon instructions or perhaps don't understand them.

I have seen many people there on each trip needing help.

There is no problem with connecting and it's very easy.

1. You will initially log in with your name and cabin number, then select a password.

2. Then you select a plan (or if you have unlimited access already, you just select the log in by minute ...see further below).

3. After that you can log in from either your personal device (laptop, Ipad) or from the computers in the computer room.

Issues to consider.

1. If your isp (email provider) requires a certain port settings outside the standard ports (25, 110, 495 etc), you might have to change those settings, and I assume that's what the people needed help with. It's an issue turning up with Ipads mostly.

2. This does in almost all cases not effect web access or web browsing.

3. Web access is slow and gets slower the more people are on, there is only so much bandwidth.

4. If you have unlimited access, pls be considerate and don't spend hours downloading videos (I've seen that).

Tips:

If you pay for a plan and access mostly for email, it is advisable to use an email client (Outlook, Winlivemail, Eudora, Entourage etc) rather than using the web browser access (gmail, yahoo etc).

You log in, download your email (you can even set it to download headers only) and then disconnect.

Then, you read your mail, delete what you want, and answer what you need to answer, all while offline.

Then you connect again, and send everything off in a short time.

This will save you tons of minutes and money as you are not paying/using time for reading and answering. If you use a web browser to do all this, you are connected and your minutes will tick down even though you don't actually "use" the bandwidth you are paying for.

If you are Silver and above, still connect each time and then disconnect/log off (pls). This frees the bandwidth to a certain amount, not much, but anything helps.

If you roam the ship, pls be advised that you might need to log in from different locations to get better access. Different decks use different routers and not each machine can handle the change. So in your cabin, log in and use the access. Then when you sit in the coffee lounge, you might need to log in again to get a different access point. This speeds up your data stream and makes life easier

Enjoy.

Passengers with their own laptop or an ipad are usually looking for help connecting to the wifi, not for help logging in. That has to be set up before they can log in and if they have never travelled with their computer or ipad they may not know how to change the connection.

I know nothing about how I connect with my iPad or my laptaop, I'm sure it is wi-fi, but I never have to go to the computer room to get myself signed on initially. I just turn the thing on, and go from there. Not quite sure what you are talking about, threechicks.

All I do is sign in like I always do, maybe setting up a password, can't even remember. it is so easy.

I am about as stupid as can be when it comes to computers! That being said I took my iPad on Mariner in April and was able to log right in.... Seems it was kinda of a brainless thing. The ships Internet system immediately welcomes you and asks you to "click here" to log in or "click here" if you are a new user needing to register, so even I was able to log into the system in seconds with prompting from the system.

Really don't over think this, it is just that easy. I am thinking the folks standing in line never even bothered to turn their computers on???? If they had tried to go to the Internet the Regent server would have Greeted them and prompted them to Register.

Oh and if you are Silver and your computer time is free, the system will still act like its going to charge you, don't worry this will happen every time you log in but there is never a charge, more like telling you what the charge would be.

Happy computing while sailing the Seven Seas :)

Excellent advice from Franzr, to which I would just add, having used at various times an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop onboard (and much appreciating the Silver benefit of unlimited free Internet) --

If you are paying for your time, be sure to log off after each session. The logoff button (or link, I can't remember which) can be difficult to find, especially on a smaller screen where you have to scroll around to find it. Even if you aren't paying for the time, it is a courtesy to others to logoff so the bandwidth is freed up.

Adjust your expectations of Internet speed. We are mostly accustomed to high speed, broadband connections at home or office, and the Internet speeds on board are much, much slower, under the best of circumstances. At peak times, you'll be reminded of the old days of 14.4K dialup Internet. As suggested by Franzr, even if your access is free, you can avoid frustration by doing your composition and reading offline, and then just login to upload/download.

There is no problem with connecting and it's very easy.

1. You will initially log in with your name and cabin number, then select a password.

2. Then you select a plan (or if you have unlimited access already, you just select the log in by minute ...see further below).

3. After that you can log in from either your personal device (laptop, Ipad) or from the computers in the computer room.

Issues to consider.

1. If your isp (email provider) requires a certain port settings outside the standard ports (25, 110, 495 etc), you might have to change those settings, and I assume that's what the people needed help with. It's an issue turning up with Ipads mostly.

2. This does in almost all cases not effect web access or web browsing.

3. Web access is slow and gets slower the more people are on, there is only so much bandwidth.

4. If you have unlimited access, pls be considerate and don't spend hours downloading videos (I've seen that).

Tips:

If you pay for a plan and access mostly for email, it is advisable to use an email client (Outlook, Winlivemail, Eudora, Entourage etc) rather than using the web browser access (gmail, yahoo etc).

You log in, download your email (you can even set it to download headers only) and then disconnect.

Then, you read your mail, delete what you want, and answer what you need to answer, all while offline.

Then you connect again, and send everything off in a short time.

This will save you tons of minutes and money as you are not paying/using time for reading and answering. If you use a web browser to do all this, you are connected and your minutes will tick down even though you don't actually "use" the bandwidth you are paying for.

If you are Silver and above, still connect each time and then disconnect/log off (pls). This frees the bandwidth to a certain amount, not much, but anything helps.

If you roam the ship, pls be advised that you might need to log in from different locations to get better access. Different decks use different routers and not each machine can handle the change. So in your cabin, log in and use the access. Then when you sit in the coffee lounge, you might need to log in again to get a different access point. This speeds up your data stream and makes life easier

Enjoy.

Humm I sure don't remember it being this complicated but maybe my iPad was just easier :)

Guys and Gals, This is a fascinating discussion! My kids gave me a Samsung Galaxy II Tablet for Xmas with the hope that I would be able to use it on our 1/24-2/28 cruise from SYD-HKG. I have spent a lot of time with companies I have paid to deliver to my TV--NetFlix, Amazon and DirecTv and they all say we don't download to Android devices. I and my kids are devastated. I understand why it is not supported outside the US, but if any one can give me help; and understand I'm 72 and a jerk about technology, sure would appreciate it. We're taking two 15+ hrs flights and one 9 hr flight so I would love to be able to use this. Streaming isn't good enough. I actually can do that. I need to download movies and TV shows.

Thanks for any help!!!

I am always amazed at the wonderful responses to the questions asked here on Cruise Critic. My new IPad mini just arrived this week, and I am so excited to take it on our trip. This will be my first time to travel with a personal device and now feel very comfortable with what I expect to discover as I log in once on board. I will also be printing off the expert technical advice a few of you have taken your time to post and take it with me. Your expertise and generosity to share is greatly appreciated.

Nana, it's not supposed to be complicated...it's easy. I just hope my write-up helps to save some money/minutes and avoid problems when roaming the ship.

We usually have our laptop on our desk, open it, connect, download the mail, disconnect, answer, then connect again etc...

But in any case...the most important thing is to enjoy the cruise, not to worry about technology. :-)

Nana, it's not supposed to be complicated...it's easy. I just hope my write-up helps to save some money/minutes and avoid problems when roaming the ship.

We usually have our laptop on our desk, open it, connect, download the mail, disconnect, answer, then connect again etc...

But in any case...the most important thing is to enjoy the cruise, not to worry about technology. :-)

Boy am I glad cuz just turning the darn thing on is about as clever as I get with computers! :) though when using my iPad in April and thank god I'm Silver the ships wifi system was really annoying in that it threw my off every few minutes and I would have to keep logging back on!!! I had heard that would happen so I was prepared just really annoyed :( had I been "paying" for those wasted minutes I would have been upset.

I did find service to be much better and faster very very late at nite when most normal folks had gone to bed....

Guys and Gals, This is a fascinating discussion! My kids gave me a Samsung Galaxy II Tablet for Xmas with the hope that I would be able to use it on our 1/24-2/28 cruise from SYD-HKG. I have spent a lot of time with companies I have paid to deliver to my TV--NetFlix, Amazon and DirecTv and they all say we don't download to Android devices. I and my kids are devastated. I understand why it is not supported outside the US, but if any one can give me help; and understand I'm 72 and a jerk about technology, sure would appreciate it. We're taking two 15+ hrs flights and one 9 hr flight so I would love to be able to use this. Streaming isn't good enough. I actually can do that. I need to download movies and TV shows.

Thanks for any help!!!

I do not understand the problems you describe above. I know that Direct TV has an android app. There are Android app's for everything and far more free one than for Ipad. I used my Android(4.2 JellyBean) Nexus 7 on the Navigator with no problems.

You can not use any laptop or tablet computer on the ship to stream download of movies or TV from Direct TV or NetFlix. IMO, there is not enough download speed, bandwidth or signal reliability.

Download your movies at home to your device and/or flash card/usb stick.

Android devices easily play most common video format such as AVI, MP4, MVK, MPEG MOV. Many free video players at Google play store. I use MX Player

Email me below if you have specific questions about your android tablet.

J

29/402

JMARINER, You are absolutely right, DirecTV does have an android app--but for streaming only. Same is true of Netflix and Amazon; I've talked to them all and downloading is in the future. I have found the Google download app and will use it. Unfortunately, the download expires, sometimes in a matter of days.

Thanks for help.

I wouldn't plan to use my iPad for streaming video on the ship. The satellite connection is slow and drops from time to time. You can also pretty much forget about downloading books or magazines too. If you want movies or books, download them before you leave.

You can connect right from your suite but if you need help making the connection, the computer room staff will help you. Or, you can do what people who bought an iPad right before leaving on the trip and have no idea how it works, find me sitting and reading my iPad and ask a bunch of questions until I offer to show you how your new toy works. I get that a lot :)

Archived