Covered or Uncovered Solarium

Which Would You prefer a Covered Solarium or Uncovered  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which Would You prefer a Covered Solarium or Uncovered

• Covered (Vision-Radiance Class Ships)
    • Uncovered (Voyager Class Ships)

• 1 month later...

Are some of you folks saying that some of the covered solariums are actually climate controlled? I was on Grandeur a couple of weeks ago and I was so looking forward to spending time in the solarium (which I have LOVED on Explorer and Voyager) but on Grandeur it was nearly unbearable due to the heat. The roof was NEVER opened and it was sweltering hot both outside and inside the solarium. There was most definitely NO air conditioning. I couldn't breathe in the solarium on Grandeur. It was nearly empty the whole cruise due to the heat and humidity in there. You couldn't even get lunch at the Solarium Grill without running outside the solarium with your food to eat it. It was very disappointing. The Solarium was such a beautiful area but was completely useless with that darned roof closed! I will continue to opt for the open solariums of the Voyager-class ships if that was an example of a closed solarium. We complained to the staff but they just sort of laughed and acted like it was a normal occurance so we just assumed the roof doesn't open and there is no air conditioning! I'd love to find out otherwise though, because it sure turned me OFF to covered solariums! :eek:

I would have voted for "retractable". I like the pool area itself to be open to the sun, but enjoy the shade for lounging around near the pool. I like the solarium's on the Voyager-class ships because I can relax in the shade with a good book but still enjoy the quiet of the solarium and take a dip in the pool when I want to...in the sun. I generally don't like the "public" pool area as it is too active and noisy for my taste. I do enjoy watching some of the pool activities on occasion though, but prefer the quiet pool area around the solarium. Retractable would be nice if they only close it when it is raining. I would not like it if the sun was out but the pool was covered though.
I agree 100% with my neighbor-to-the-south! ;)

A retractable roof that WORKS is the best answer.

Carol

Bonnie, there is AC in the Solarium, maybe it wasn't working. We've been on Grandeur, Splendour, Vision, Legend with covered Solariums. It was always very comfortable in there.

Dobie, I am very glad to hear this! You would not believe how yucky it was in the Solarium on Grandeur the week I was there! I truly could not breathe in there it was soooooo hot and balmy! I asked several crew members what was wrong, but they just acted like it was supposed to be that way. The roof was shut tight as a drum and NO air conditioning at all. Not a cloud in the sky! Full sunshine! It was probably 95 degrees outside and 195 degrees inside the solarium! I thought all you folks who rave about the wonderful closed solariums had lost your minds! :eek: I still loved Grandeur though and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again, but if they don't fix that solarium a/c I won't be setting foot in there! ;)

Bonnie, we hated the Solarium on the Adventure, and a prime reason was beacause it was not covered. We did not realize this until very close to cruise time. The roofs on the other Solariums we have been on ARE retractable, and one in a blue moon they retract them, but, frankly, we really loved them closed--climate controlled, and no wind and sun as on the Adventure. I've had a malignant melanoma and do not sit in the sun, the enclosed climate controlled kid free Solarium is why we book the ships we do. The Adventure Solarium was so hot, humid, windy, and sunny.....sorry you had a bad experience on the Grandeur, I'm sure the climate control was off somehow...

Bonnie, we hated the Solarium on the Adventure, and a prime reason was beacause it was not covered. We did not realize this until very close to cruise time. The roofs on the other Solariums we have been on ARE retractable, and one in a blue moon they retract them, but, frankly, we really loved them closed--climate controlled, and no wind and sun as on the Adventure. I've had a malignant melanoma and do not sit in the sun, the enclosed climate controlled kid free Solarium is why we book the ships we do. The Adventure Solarium was so hot, humid, windy, and sunny.....sorry you had a bad experience on the Grandeur, I'm sure the climate control was off somehow...
Gosh, what BEAUTIFUL words!

Archived