Luggage

Need a bit of help please. As we are doing a back to back this year and the luggage allowance is now only 20kg:eek: we are going to need new suitcases as ours weigh nearly 5 kg empty. I have looked at the 'worlds lightest' ones and they just seem so flimsy and look as if they will tear really easy. Can anyone give me any advice or suggest anything suitable.

Thanks

Mary

Hi Mary,

The sub zero g suitcases are wonderful I have used mine on 5/6 long haul holidays now and they are looking a little battered but still going strong. They have been the best investment I have ever made...look around for a good price.

I was not bothered about colour and have one grey and one spotty one as they were discounted in Argos at the time.

Lorraine

Need a bit of help please. As we are doing a back to back this year and the luggage allowance is now only 20kg:eek: we are going to need new suitcases as ours weigh nearly 5 kg empty. I have looked at the 'worlds lightest' ones and they just seem so flimsy and look as if they will tear really easy. Can anyone give me any advice or suggest anything suitable.

Thanks

Mary

Hi Mary, :)

I know what you mean about the reduced luggage allowance - and I really resent having to pay xs baggage so like you I'm keen to get inside the limit and had wondered about these cases. There was a thread on here a while ago with some positive comments about them (also a few less enthusiastic) so I've copied it below for you.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1643756&highlight=zero+suitcases

Thanks

Mary

Mary - we invested in one of the "World's Lightest suitcases" in 2011 from Matalan - they are lovely cases, they are not at all flimsy; the only thing that happened to one of ours on the first holiday we used them in 2012 was the large "pull" handle came out on the return flight! I took it back to Matalan who said they had never come across this at all and they replaced it - they have a 10 year guarantee on them; I had bought it 14 months previously and there was no problem at all with changing it.

Do remember that the Celebration has several free self service laundrys on the ship; we used it just for "undies" & t-shirts & got the men's evening dress shirts properly laundered for not a huge charge. We actually said we would take less with us this year as we did take too many clothes really - whether or not when it comes to packing we will do, I don't know!

Jules :)

I have used these too and they are fine, the only problem i had was possibly my own fault. The wheel buckled but it could have been because i packed the heaviest stuff at the top instead of the bottom and it all fell to the bottom of the case which made the case bulge and this i think, cause the wheel to stop working. Apart from that they have been fine, lots of room too!:)

Hi,

I bought Trip luggage from Debenhams and although expensive well worth the money. Saying that they have a sale at the moment and if you go through Top Cash Back they will work out even cheaper!

Chris

Mary - we invested in one of the "World's Lightest suitcases" in 2011 from Matalan - they are lovely cases, they are not at all flimsy; the only thing that happened to one of ours on the first holiday we used them in 2012 was the large "pull" handle came out on the return flight! I took it back to Matalan who said they had never come across this at all and they replaced it - they have a 10 year guarantee on them; I had bought it 14 months previously and there was no problem at all with changing it.

Do remember that the Celebration has several free self service laundrys on the ship; we used it just for "undies" & t-shirts & got the men's evening dress shirts properly laundered for not a huge charge. We actually said we would take less with us this year as we did take too many clothes really - whether or not when it comes to packing we will do, I don't know!

Jules :)

Julie why are you swearing at me - self service laundry:( my holiday is leaving the washing machine behind:). We have before though filled the bag for the special price laundry. Just don't know what to do at min. will have to go and have another look.

Julie why are you swearing at me - self service laundry:( my holiday is leaving the washing machine behind:). We have before though filled the bag for the special price laundry. Just don't know what to do at min. will have to go and have another look.

Lol!! They didn't do the "special bag" price last year for the laundry on the Celebration which is why I resorted to using the self service one - I had wrongly assumed that we would be able to put all our "smalls" & t-shirts in the "special bag" so didn't take as many only to find we would have run out lol! :eek:

I did however find a very helpful steward who seemed to live in one of the laundry's who took my washing in for me and washed & dried it ready for me to collect. When I went to tip him on our last 2 days, I couldn't find him which I was really sad about (I'm going to look out for him this year!!) I must admit I didn't go anywhere near an iron at all - that I will just NOT do on holiday!!

My cruise holiday is definitely no food shopping, cooking (yipeeee!) & no laundry too !! I especially love NOT having to head for the supermarkets & picking up every item of food and reading the labelling which I have to do every year when we visit France where we self-cater!!! (you will know what I mean, I'm sure!x)

Jules

I actually bought the sub zero ones on the advice of the guys on here and I am very pleased with them :)

We have only used them once but they still look new. We have 2 large and 2 hand ones

They are so light and although look flimsy they arent.

Matalan and argos both have them at the moment.

Thank you all for your replies and the other thread Kruzseeker. Still unsure what to do most opinions are positive on here but found some bad reviews on other sites. :confused: Trip to the shops needed I think.:(

Hi Mary,Glad to see your pushing the 'boat' out! with 2 cruises in couple of months,hows your knee, will it stand up to it? how long are the cruises and where are you going,regards Roy.

Hi Mary,Glad to see your pushing the 'boat' out! with 2 cruises in couple of months,hows your knee, will it stand up to it? how long are the cruises and where are you going,regards Roy.

Hi Roy

Not too bad thanks keep hobbling on. Trying an insole rise in my shoe until May to see if that does anything first. Can't see what it will do though as x ray has shown the kneecap is damaged.:(

Doing Canarian Flavours 1st March on the Majesty, just a week, which we haven't been on yet, this one misses out Agadir so pleased about that. Then 3rd June doing two weeks on the Celebration:D the Aegean first week then doing the Black Sea, which should be good as mainly places we haven't been. Using the first week as a chill out then lots of sightseeing the second week.

Did you enjoy the fjords? We did the North Cape and absolutely loved it.

Hope all the families well.

Mary

Hi Roy

Not too bad thanks keep hobbling on. Trying an insole rise in my shoe until May to see if that does anything first. Can't see what it will do though as x ray has shown the kneecap is damaged.:(

Doing Canarian Flavours 1st March on the Majesty, just a week, which we haven't been on yet, this one misses out Agadir so pleased about that. Then 3rd June doing two weeks on the Celebration:D the Aegean first week then doing the Black Sea, which should be good as mainly places we haven't been. Using the first week as a chill out then lots of sightseeing the second week.

Did you enjoy the fjords? We did the North Cape and absolutely loved it.

Hope all the families well.

Mary

Hi again,

Yes love the fjords,did it first on Canberra when I was single, in the 70's. then on Black Watch with Brenda, what struck me first time was how clear the air was! really fresh,secondly the scenery was just magnificent, every where we went it just got better and better.favourite place was Gearangerfjord [spelling] just breathtaking. already looking forward to August when we do the UK cruise, now been told by letter and personal phone call from Thomson head office that our guest speaker is Sir G Hurst,hope to get the chance to talk to him, inplace of David Barby rip. bet your counting the days! have a nice one,Roy.

Archived