Disembarking a day early?

jayl65

I'll be on a Med cruise on the Jade in a few weeks. I would like to know if any cruisers have disembarked the ship the last port before the ship returns to the origination port. I will be cruising from Civitavecchia and would like to disembark in Naples the day before. I have read somewhere that this is possible. I also called NCL and they say I just had to let them know on the ship. It seems to easy and I feel like I might be missing something. Please let me know if anyone has experience with this. Thanks Jay.

We experienced an early ship departure on our Canada cruise last September. Due to a work emergency my SO had to leave the ship in Quebec half way through the cruise. I remained on board for the rest of the cruise. He was able to leave but it was not as straight forward as you might think.

The ship had to call immigration authorities to clear him on the ship before he was allowed to leave for the airport. He also had to provide proof of the flight that he was booked on to both the ship and to immigration. We happened to be in a suite so the concierge was really helpful with this process. Customer Service on the ship left something to be desired. I was really happy to have the concierge and she was worth her weight in gold just for this.

I don't know if the process will differ in Italy on your cruise but just wanted to tell you how it was for us.

Thanks Novastar,

I know it isn't possible to do in the US but not sure about Italy. The guy I spoke to at NCL didnt seem to think it was a problem but I still keep feeling like its going to be more of an issue than I think.

We are sailing on the Sun 2-17-13 and we have gotten permission from NCL and also the port authority. NCL handled the entire thing for us. I have been told that I will get the immigration form from the ship and go through immigration with the port authority and get me passport stamped. You have to call group sales at NCL. We are staying in St Martin for a week and then returning to the US.

I will post when we return.

I called NCL again today and explained my concern and this time they started the process for early disembarkation in Naples. I am suppose to get a phone call in 72 hours letting me know the process and if it has been approved by NCL and Naples port authority.

We are sailing on the Sun 2-17-13 and we have gotten permission from NCL and also the port authority. NCL handled the entire thing for us. I have been told that I will get the immigration form from the ship and go through immigration with the port authority and get me passport stamped. You have to call group sales at NCL. We are staying in St Martin for a week and then returning to the US.

I will post when we return.

I don't understand why Group Sales will be in charge of this.

I´m booked on the Epic this June for a cruise from Barcelona and I will disembark in Palma the before final arrival in Barcelona. My TA atrranged this with the NCL office in Miami. I dont think you need any OK from the port as, these cruises ar all within the EU and therefor in Schengen, with no customs and passport control. Obviously, the cruiseline need to know, though.

Finally got an answer from NCL. They said it would take 72 hours to make the arrangements and then they would let me know if it had been approved. I got a call last night about 8pm saying that everything was approved and they were forwarding the information to the ship and I just needed to check in once I was onboard. Im glad to have this taken care since it was a big worry for me.

This is an excellent question. I honestly would have thought one could walk off the boat with their luggage and board a flight to go home. Somehow asking the cruiseline so they could contact the necessary parties did not cross my mind. I wonder how this works for those that miss the boat at ports.

That's great news! But...(perhaps you already thought of that), ask NCL to forward you a copy of the "approval" information that was forwarded to your ship. Print off that information so you have proof and...less worries. ;)

Bon Voyage !

Finally got an answer from NCL. They said it would take 72 hours to make the arrangements and then they would let me know if it had been approved. I got a call last night about 8pm saying that everything was approved and they were forwarding the information to the ship and I just needed to check in once I was onboard. Im glad to have this taken care since it was a big worry for me.

I´m booked on the Epic this June for a cruise from Barcelona and I will disembark in Palma the before final arrival in Barcelona. My TA atrranged this with the NCL office in Miami. I dont think you need any OK from the port as, these cruises ar all within the EU and therefor in Schengen, with no customs and passport control. Obviously, the cruiseline need to know, though.

May I ask why you decided to skip the last night on your first cruise?

Disembarking a day early in Naples to continue our vacation on the Amalfi Coast. Renting a car in Naples and headed to Sorrento to stay for 4 extra days before flying back to the US. Have plans to go to Herculenium and Pompeii. Museum of Archeology in Naples. Drive the Amalfi Coast and maybe a boat trip to Capri. Not sure yet. Getting of the ship in Naples allows us not to have to double back from Rome which the ship returns to the next morning at 7Am. I did want to see the show the last night on the Jade since its suppose to be great, but its a small sacrifice to make to get to spend the extra time in Italy.

Because we will spend 9 nights in Palma after the cruise. Seems better to disembark there, rather than take a flight from BCN to Mallorca.

Jag trodde att det var så. Hoppas att ni inte ångrar er när ni märker hur härligt det är på Epic! Har ni bestämt vilka restauranger ni ska äta på än?

Jag trodde att det var så. Hoppas att ni inte ångrar er när ni märker hur härligt det är på Epic! Har ni bestämt vilka restauranger ni ska äta på än?

Tänkte först ta en TA kryssning, men eftersom vi var lite rädda för lappsjuka, provar vi en Medelhavskryssning första gången. Och är helt säker på att det blir fler ggr! Vi får se vilka restauranter det blir - alla verkar ju intressanta!

Tänkte först ta en TA kryssning, men eftersom vi var lite rädda för lappsjuka, provar vi en Medelhavskryssning första gången. Och är helt säker på att det blir fler ggr! Vi får se vilka restauranter det blir - alla verkar ju intressanta!

Vi har åkt på en transatlantisk kryssning med Norwegian Jewel och det var lite för många dagar till havs, 6 stycken, även för oss som älskar dagarna till havs. Vi åkte från London till New York i September och det var ganska kallt, kanske hade det varit bättre med en sydligare rytt.

För oss är Le Bistro ett absolut måste. Om ni är matintresserade, försök få plats till "Chefs Dinner".

Vi har åkt på en transatlantisk kryssning med Norwegian Jewel och det var lite för många dagar till havs, 6 stycken, även för oss som älskar dagarna till havs. Vi åkte från London till New York i September och det var ganska kallt, kanske hade det varit bättre med en sydligare rytt.

För oss är Le Bistro ett absolut måste. Om ni är matintresserade, försök få plats till "Chefs Dinner".

Will do!

• 8 months later...

We are thinking of doing something similar with a Spirit Venice-Barcelona cruise only disembarking in Toulon as we would rather spend more time in the south of France and have already been to Barcelona.

Has anyone done this before (in Toulon)? We can get flights home from Nice.

Archived