Transportation Help JFK - NYC - PORT

Gingerbint

Hi,

I'm posting for some advice.

We are travelling out of Cape Liberty on the Explorer this coming April.

We have never cruised out of NY/America before and this is my DH first time to NY.

We have booked a package with Royal as coming from the UK we are then covered if any problems with flight delays etc.

We have finally got our invoice after over 3 weeks of waiting!

It has a breakdown of all the individual pricings for the trip and they seem to be charging the moon for transfers from JFK to our NY Central hotel and then from the NY central Hotel to the Port and then from the Port back to JFK at the end of the trip. :eek:

Can someone advise me what the costs would be if we went to do the transfers ourselves.

IE - Individual cost of taxi's .....

* From Airport to central NY

* NY Hotel to Cape Liberty

* Cape Liberty to JFK

Are the taxis safe to use for these types of trip too?

Also does anyone know how much the coach transfer is with Royal from Ship to JFK?

Any info would be great as the amount they are charging I expect a stretch limo will full bar! :rolleyes:

Thanks

What are you being charged for your transfers? What hotel are you staying at?

JFK is the most inconvenient airport for Bayonne. It is time consuming to go between Bayonne and JFK and the tolls can be expensive. The JFK to hotel part of the trip is the only piece that is within the state of New York. Your hotel to Bayonne trip is from New York to New Jersey and Bayonne to JFK is from New Jersey to New York, so cabs can charge whatever they want for those trips. A car service is the only way to go.

A car service quote needs to include the cost of the base trip and tolls. A tip of at least 15% needs to be added to that.

From JFK to Manhattanthe basic cab fare is fixed at $52.50 + tolls plus tip. Tolls depend on the route taken.

I'm guessing about $90-100 total to go from NY to Bayonne and $110-120 total to go from Bayonne to JFK.

Rounded up prices in UK / US (as per phone app)

JFK - NY - £70 / $113

NY - Port - £119 / $192

Port - JFK - £145 / $234

It does state all trips by Sedan so I am presuming we have a private car to ourselves.

Just sounding things out on here before I give Royal a call to check/query prices as I think they seem over priced.

We are having 3 nights pre cruise stay in NY, hence the 3 costings.

That's a lot of money - $539 for the three transfers. What hotel is your destination in NYC? What time is your outbound flight from JFK? What are your exact dates? What time and what date do you arrive at JFK?

Let's get some advice from others on this forum. I think you could easily arrange all this for between $300 and $350 including tolls and tip. There is lots of transportation in the NY metro area - it's big business. Car service (which would usually be a sedan) is a common way for folks to get around and there are many reliable companies.

For the trip from JFK to Manhattan--it is a flat fee (taxi) of $52.50 (per car not per person)

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

From Midtown Manhattan to the cruise port should run $50-60

From Bayonne to JFK should run $100 ish

You can just get a taxi from the airport to your hotel but you are better off with a car service for the rest.

The first 2 are recommended frequently on this board. The third one I saw but don't know anything about them other than they are local to NJ and seemed to have lower prices.

http://www.dial7.com

http://www.carmelimo.com

http://www.trinitylimonj.com/

Great reply.

What is the expected tip? It's NY so I'm thinking 18-20%.

A car service quote should also include the anticipated tolls. Getting from NY to NJ is now $13 I think plus some turnpike toll to get to and from Bayonne. What are the East River tolls now in case the cab uses a toll crossing?

Archived