Will we be able to see the stars?

On the Explorer of the Seas in the Carribbean recently they had a star gazing talk by one of the crew. We all went out to the helicopter pad. There was no moon that night so the stars were amazing. It was mentioned that there are some star gazing aps but I didn't get the names of them.

Thanks for the great responses everyone! It's the helipad for us then, bundled up in our warmest clothing. After our cruise, which begins on the 19th of Feb and ends in Perth, we will be driving up to Monkey Mia and staying in Denham. We will also be going to Uluru and on the Ghan. My hopes are high for being able to see the stars!

One more tip, take your sunglasses and keep them on your first 20 minutes out there to help you eyes adjus and in case you accidentally look back at the ship while your eyes are adjusting.

On the Explorer of the Seas in the Carribbean recently they had a star gazing talk by one of the crew. We all went out to the helicopter pad. There was no moon that night so the stars were amazing. It was mentioned that there are some star gazing aps but I didn't get the names of them.

There is Google Sky which is pretty neat, but I think it requires a data connection. I am careful to turn off any data service while on the ship. Don't want that big bill to come home to.

If you can access the helipad, that's the best place to view the stars. If not, go as far forward as you can on an open deck.

Check out Google Skymap, so that you can find the stars, planets, or constellations you want. It's the best app for looking at the stars and planets.

Thanks for the great responses everyone! It's the helipad for us then, bundled up in our warmest clothing. After our cruise, which begins on the 19th of Feb and ends in Perth, we will be driving up to Monkey Mia and staying in Denham. We will also be going to Uluru and on the Ghan. My hopes are high for being able to see the stars!

My cousin works on the Ghan! Which way are you taking it? Northbound (Alice Springs - Uluru to Darwin) or Southbound (Alice Springs - Uluru - Adelaide)

Like others on this topic, I love star gazing.. we live right at the edge of a major city so if we drive for 30 minutes we are in the middle of the outback... It is true that you must let your eyes adjust... after 20 mins in the dark there were at least 20x more stars than when I first looked. Keep an eye out for the Southern Cross, also "The Saucepan" is one of the easiest constellations to spot!

Did you try going out to the helipad on Liberty? It is pretty dark out there at night.

I did this on Indy. Especially when it's late enough that all the oceanview rooms at the front of the boat are off to bed with their lights off, it's pretty dark and nice.

Archived