Captains cocktail party

Rich 1

I realize that due to different itineraries no one can specify in advance which night of the cruise the Captain's Cocktail Party is likely to be held, but at what time in the evening does this event generally take place?

I checked a copy of CURRENTS from 2 yrs ago on Marina it was at 6pm in Marina Lounge, Martinis & the Grand Bar

The Captain circulates between them

It probably is the same or close to the same times/places

Lyn

On our recent Riviera transatlantic, there were complimentary cocktails and canapes available between 5:45 pm - 8:00 pm in Horizons, Martinis and Grand Bar. The Captain introduced his Senior Officers in Horizons and I don't think he/they made it to other venues. All the bars were hopping and people were happy!

I wonder why they would advertised it for Club Members if anyone can go :confused:

Here I thought it was a loyalty perk

NEW Blue - Cruise Credits 2-4

• NEW - Blue membership pins
  • NEW - Exclusive Oceania Club cocktail reception
  • NEW - Exclusive Members-Only Offers
  • NEW - Advanced notice on new itineraries
  • NEW - 10% discount on Oceania Cruises logo merchandise

Lyn

No, "all" were not invited to the 2nd Captain's Cocktail party. We had friends who were, but we certainly were not since this was our first cruise. I believe they are adding a few perks for us newbies on their 2nd cruise though.

We skipped the main Captain's reception, but later I wished we had attended. Only problem was that it was hard to get a seat in the lounge area since the drinks were free that night :). So if you go, earlier is better! We got there at the end (forgetting it was that night to be honest). We couldn't believe the crowd but learned pretty quickly it was the free drinks:D.

On our recent Riviera transatlantic, there were complimentary cocktails and canapes available between 5:45 pm - 8:00 pm in Horizons, Martinis and Grand Bar. The Captain introduced his Senior Officers in Horizons and I don't think he/they made it to other venues. All the bars were hopping and people were happy!

I am surprised the event was moved to Horizons & not the Marina Lounge which would hold more people

Lyn

No, "all" were not invited to the 2nd Captain's Cocktail party. We had friends who were, but we certainly were not since this was our first cruise. I believe they are adding a few perks for us newbies on their 2nd cruise though.

Yes they have added new perks for 2nd time cruisers before you had to wait until your 5th cruise

BOO HOO for us back then ;)

Lyn

I am surprised the event was moved to Horizons & not the Marina Lounge which would hold more people

Lyn

The Lounge is lousy area to socialize though. No others 'at your table' to chat with, no dance floor (yes, I know others have referred to the stage as a dance floor but it IS a stage. The R ships have a stage too but also a dance floor).

As a theatre it is an improvement over the R class ship's Lounge but the R-ships have a real gem with their Lounge. That Lounge is an excellent room for many uses but the O class ship Lounge is only very good as a theatre and as a staging area for the lifeboat drill & excursions. The R-ship's Lounge is good venue to attend a party. The O class ship's Lounge is a good place to watch a party.

I very much like the O class ships but the Lounge is one improvement that missed the mark as a general purpose room. For a theatre though it is good.

The Lounge is lousy area to socialize though. No others 'at your table' to chat with, no dance floor (yes, I know others have referred to the stage as a dance floor but it IS a stage. The R ships have a stage too but also a dance floor).

I agree I like the lounge on the R-ships better

We have only been on Marina once & the parties were held in the lounge back then but just surprised at the move to Horizons but I guess it is more comfy up there for socializing

Lyn

I've never measured, but my impression is that Horizons on the O class ships is larger than the theater lounge on the R class ships. I think Horizons will hold nearly half of the passengers. It's styled very much like the theater lounge on the smaller ships.

Between the Grand Bar, Martinis and Horizons. there's enough room for everyone. The theater lounge on the R ships only holds around half the passengers; it's packed during the Captain's party, no seats to be found and SRO. Not exactly cozy.

While the theater lounge on the R ships is a better party lounge, than the theater lounge on the O ships, they are lousy theater lounges. The ceilings are too low, the acoustics are bad, and the "stage" is not raised, making for bad sight lines. The theater lounge on the R ships is optimized for its primary use, which is one of the reasons why the entertainment is better.

"A rose is a rose, is a rose, is a rose by any name."

A theatre is theatre and a lounge is a lounge. And never shall the two meet.

Oceania Class has theatres no matter what the brochure lablels them. Certainly not the location for a cocktail reception.

But then Spook1, what of the venerable 'Show Lounge'. Without it these boys would have been lost

th?id=H.4792166467438143&pid=1.7&w=168&h=144&c=7&rs=1

Sorry , getting way too off topic

I agree Don, the Lounge on the O class is a better theatre than on the R ships and Horizons is the best choice for a social gathering.

I loved the "lounge" as a theatre, but found the name confusing. It certainly isn't a "lounge". It's a theatre. But I loved it for the shows because we felt such a part of it with the low stage.

Not sure why it's so important to Oceania to call it a "lounge" when it's simply not.

Probably tradition -- the theater lounges on the R ships are dual purpose, so it made sense when they were introduced. When Marina was designed, the idea was to retain as many touches from the R ships as possible in order to create familiarity. Calling the theater a "lounge" just carries on that policy. It probably only makes sense to the Oceania old timers, but the cruise line has always gone out of their way to create that feeling -- one of the reasons there are so may old timers...

Probably tradition -- the theater lounges on the R ships are dual purpose, so it made sense when they were introduced. When Marina was designed, the idea was to retain as many touches from the R ships as possible in order to create familiarity. Calling the theater a "lounge" just carries on that policy. It probably only makes sense to the Oceania old timers, but the cruise line has always gone out of their way to create that feeling -- one of the reasons there are so may old timers...

:)That explains it then! And I'm not surprised Oceania has so many "old timers". Hopefully we'll become one of those though our years to make that so are numbered!;)

Still, for someone new on board, it confused me at first. But it didn't matter! was able to figure it out:)

Archived