Thinking about trying NCL

springgrl

I'd say just go for it! You're not going to know what NCL is like until you try it! We're planning on the Breakaway after the Reflection and looking forward to the change. The only thing that bugs me about this trip to Bermuda is 3 days in Kings Wharf. I hope not to get bored after the 2nd day.

Hit up the Bermuda board. You cant get board. :) There are tons of things to do in Bermuda

Now that you mention it, the Breakaway sounds like a good idea. Hop on the Cruise Express, from Renessalaer, no worries about flying. I did the Ncl Dawn/Bermuda run 4 years ago. It was very nice. I have been on 2 Carnival, 3 Ncl , and am getting ready for my 3rd RCI cruise. Every cruise line brings something different to the table. NCL definitely has the upper hand as far as entertainment. The food is just fine, not fantastic, but fine. Le Bistro in wonderful. If you eat there at the beginning of the cruise it will set the bar too high. Not sure what is exactly on the Breakaway but there is always somewheres to grab a bite to eat. I am guessing that with a new ship that everything will be tip top. The crew has always been very nice, as nice as any other line. I'm not 100% sure but I think that you might be able to reserve the same table for every night. We never felt the need to eat at speciality restaurants but we do just for fun. I love RCI for many reasons, but I never feel that the entertainment is at the same level as NCL. I am going on the Adventure of the Seas and I have seen all sorts of complaints about it. I know that I will totally enjoy it! Go with an open mind and I bet you will love it. As soon as I sign off, I am going to look into the Breakaway. I have never had a bad cruise probably because I go on looking for the good and ignoring the bad. I was in Disneyworld last year, supposedly the happiest place on earth. We had so many screwups and problems, that it became funny. Did we have a great vacation? You bet!

Wow that video is impressive.

There's a lot of things in there that have been missing from my RCCL cruises.

Do enjoy the freestyle concept of NCL. We have booked the Breakaway also. The entertainment they will have onboard will be fabulous. Dont be shy to try another line. Here is a cool video of the ship. The focus is on being able to "see" the ocean. :)

http://quassmedia.com/cruisevids/?p=1082#

I cannot see how people do the same cruiseline everytime.

We did 4 RC trips within 16months and although they all were great, they were basically all the same.

Menus, activities layout, drinks, ect.

Everyone needs to mix it up.

We just did NCL 2 months ago and loved it.

We are also considering the Breakaway and sailed the Gem a couple of years ago.

Biggest "differences" for us -- some good, some bad:

1. Found the MDR on the Gem to be dark and small after the open, multi-floor MDR's on RCL. Service was OK, but we missed having the relationship with the same waitstaff throughout the cruise.

2. In general, food was hit or miss. Found Gem's offerings slightly less appealing than RCL but there were still stand outs. The sticky buns in the morning are fabulous, and love the ice cream bar at night in the Garden Cafe.

3. Love the Blue Lagoon! It offers quick meals (kind of like a Johnny Rockets but with additional offerings) and is open 24-hours.

4. Entertainment was about the same quality but enjoyed seeing new shows. The Second City troupe was a definite plus.

5. Found decor to be somewhat dark and (don't flame)...tacky. I love RCL's artwork and open design. There was nowhere like the Promenade or Centrum.

All in all, it was worthwhile to try a new line and to experience a different way of cruising. Loved the convenience -- get off the ship and drive home. Enjoy, and let us know how it goes!

Now that you mention it, the Breakaway sounds like a good idea. Hop on the Cruise Express, from Renessalaer, no worries about flying. I did the Ncl Dawn/Bermuda run 4 years ago. It was very nice. I have been on 2 Carnival, 3 Ncl , and am getting ready for my 3rd RCI cruise. Every cruise line brings something different to the table. NCL definitely has the upper hand as far as entertainment. The food is just fine, not fantastic, but fine. Le Bistro in wonderful. If you eat there at the beginning of the cruise it will set the bar too high. Not sure what is exactly on the Breakaway but there is always somewheres to grab a bite to eat. I am guessing that with a new ship that everything will be tip top. The crew has always been very nice, as nice as any other line. I'm not 100% sure but I think that you might be able to reserve the same table for every night. We never felt the need to eat at speciality restaurants but we do just for fun. I love RCI for many reasons, but I never feel that the entertainment is at the same level as NCL. I am going on the Adventure of the Seas and I have seen all sorts of complaints about it. I know that I will totally enjoy it! Go with an open mind and I bet you will love it. As soon as I sign off, I am going to look into the Breakaway. I have never had a bad cruise probably because I go on looking for the good and ignoring the bad. I was in Disneyworld last year, supposedly the happiest place on earth. We had so many screwups and problems, that it became funny. Did we have a great vacation? You bet!

Is that the cruise express by Yankee Trails? If so we are planning on driving over, leaving the car and doing that. Driving to NY, and the cost of parking there is to much of a hassle. :)

My TA said that the captioned NCL will sail out of Miami starting in 2014 and will be similar to Breakaway. Seeing as we live in South FL we will probably wait until that ship before we take our 1st plunge on NCL. We did get to do a ship inspection with our TA of the Epic and we were impressed by the look and many things to do on that ship.

Shari & John

Is that the cruise express by Yankee Trails? If so we are planning on driving over, leaving the car and doing that. Driving to NY, and the cost of parking there is to much of a hassle. :)

Yes it is. I have used it twice and loved it. Have s great trip. P.S. if you've never been there, there are a bunch of places to grab coffee and what not nearby.

Archived