Recommendation for Nov/Dec Cruise with Infant and Toddler

jgyankee

My wife and I would like to plan a cruise for late November early December 2013. We will be traveling with our 3 year old son and our 11 month old son. We are trying to find a cruise that would be best for this group dynamic. Previously we took my son on the Celebrity Solstice with his grandmother; who also happened to pick that ship and pay for the trip! The Solistice would have been great is we were traveling alone, but there was next to nothing for my son to do. Since he could not go in the pool, we ended up spending a lot of time in the cabin and walking the decks. We live in New Jersey and would like to avoid flying altogether. We were considering the 7 day Florida/Bahamas trip on the Norwegian Breakway or the 9 day Eastern Caribbean trip out of Bayonne on the Explorer of the Seas. My son loves Disney and has been to Disney World so we have also been considering one of the Disney cruises out of Port Canaveral or Miami.

I like to take a variety of vacations and have only been on 3 cruises, the Solstice trip, Celebrity Millenium to Alaska, and a Carnival cruise in the mid 90's. The Breakaway looks like a fantastic ship but they do not offer babysitting or a kids club unless your child is 3. We don't plan on using this feature all the time, but my wife and I would like to be able to go to dinner alone or have a drink alone at least once! I have read on the board that the Explorer of the Seas is fairly run down and has terrible food. I have also read that Bayonne is a less then desirable disembarkation port. We would be staying in the 2 Bedroom Suite if we go on Breakaway and a comparable suite on the Explorer. With two kids and a pack and play I don't think we will have enough room in a typical verandah cabin. Again, my own experience is from Celebrity. With Disney I would have to budget in the flying. I also can't seem to find a comparable suite for the Disney line. The 1 Bedroom Concierge Suite is all I could find and it was much more expensive then even a Haven suite on Norwegian.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I hope this is enough info!

Thanks!:)

Look at the RCL ships that have the nursery. We went on the Allure with our 7 month and it was great! There is a fee of $8 per hour, but in room babysitting is $19 per hour. Your 3 year old will be able to do AO which my older kids love.

Disney's standard cabins are quite a bit larger than the standard rooms on other lines. I think you'd find that a baby and a toddler would fit OK in one of their rooms. It wouldn't be spacious, but it would be doable, IMO.

If you opt for another line, you may wish to consider two connecting rooms. I'm not sure, but I think this would be less expensive than a two-bedroom suite.

Have you looked at cruising out of Baltimore? It's easily driveable from New Jersey, and you can choose from Royal Caribbean (Grandeur of the Seas) or Carnival (Pride).

Finally, try to avoid cruising over the Thanksgiving week. Odds are you'll find better fares if you cruise earlier in November before the holiday, or early December after it.

Disney's cabins are quite a bit bigger. We had an oceanview on the Disney Dream and four of us, including our 5-year old daughter and 7 month old son (with his protable crib) fit just fine. The room also had a curtain that you could use to block off one half of the room, which worked out great at naptime and bedtime.

Bayonne is a good port. I've sailed from there three times now- most recently on the Celebrity Summit 8/12. The youth program on Celebrity is my son's favorite and we've sailed on Celebrity now for the past 9 years. We just came back from Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas and he didn't like the youth program as much on Royal and is begging to go back on Celebrity- so don't rule them out for the three year old. Summit sails out of there until October. The mass produced food on Celebrity is just ok IMO. I liked the specialty restaurants better.

I haven't sailed Explorer of the Seas but have sailed RC in recent years and the food was good but nothing to write home about IMO. The specialty restaurants are probably better. I tried Giovanni's Table on Serenade and it was quite good.

The baby will be fine playing with some water and running the halls. It isn't going to matter that much to an 11 month old. The babysitting on Celebrity is great and I have used it for my son but I believe they have to be 12 months or older. On Royal there is babysitting for 6 months and older.

I've sailed NCL and they are a step down IMO from Royal and Celebrity. The cabins are really small (unless you upgrade to a suite) and the ships aren't as pretty.

So by process of elimination- I'd probably do the Explorer- since they have sitting for the baby and you can drive to the port.

Thank you. I will definitely consider that. I am leaning toward RCL since they have more options for my 11 month old. Actually considering the South Caribbean Jewel of the Seas cruise in November even though it involves travel to San Juan. I realized that during the sea days for the NOV/DEC cruises out of NJ/NY the water/deck facilities may not be usable. May be tough to spend 2 days inside.

About flying to Florida instead of driving to the port. When traveling with an 11 month old- I'd prefer to not have to fly anywhere. Their ears are sensitive. There are sick people on planes, which definitely add to the chances of one or both kids getting sick. The confinement of a plane is something I'd personally want to avoid. Getting liquids through security, the extra things you'll want to bring- stroller, car seat, etc. It sounds like a hassle that is avoidable.

Not to mention adding approximately $750 to the cost of the trip

Archived