Formal Night Updo??

OC Mom

I am considering having my hair styled in an updo for the second formal night. My first dress has a full skirt and I think it will work well with my hair down (my hair length is about mid-back), but my second dress is a slinkly, full length black gown with rhinstone spaghetti strap and rhinstone around the bodice. I think it lends itself more to an updo or at least having my hair half up. It is also my 30th birthday on the second formal night and I thought it might be something different and fun :). I am terrible at updos and was wondering if anyone has ever had their hair done at the Carnival ship's salon??

OC Mom ~ I've not had an updo on Carnival, but I have on NCL, Princess, and RCCL. I love having it done. It's such a great way to pamper myself. The way you described your dress, my suggestion would be a french twist. It's easy, quick, and very classy. Happy 30th, by the way :) Can't think of a better way to spend one's birthday!

OC Mom ~ I've not had an updo on Carnival, but I have on NCL, Princess, and RCCL. I love having it done. It's such a great way to pamper myself. The way you described your dress, my suggestion would be a french twist. It's easy, quick, and very classy. Happy 30th, by the way :) Can't think of a better way to spend one's birthday!

Did you bring in photos of some styles you might want or just talk with the stylist?

Hi, by all means bring a picture of what you want, and be sure to ask before hand if they have someone that does long hair, not all stylists can handle long hair. One time my daughter who has long thick hair , had her hair put in an up do for a wedding and , it was AWFUL ( think Marge Simpson), after the wedding she came home and it took us a long long time to get it undone and all the pins out of it, believe it or not we counted 132 bobby pins in her hair. Never again. Just ask the salon ahead of time if they have someone who specializes in long hair and reserve your time with that stylist. Have a great cruise.

Cori

Hi, by all means bring a picture of what you want, and be sure to ask before hand if they have someone that does long hair, not all stylists can handle long hair. One time my daughter who has long thick hair , had her hair put in an up do for a wedding and , it was AWFUL ( think Marge Simpson), after the wedding she came home and it took us a long long time to get it undone and all the pins out of it, believe it or not we counted 132 bobby pins in her hair. Never again. Just ask the salon ahead of time if they have someone who specializes in long hair and reserve your time with that stylist. Have a great cruise.

Cori

Thanks Cori :) . I didn't consider the long hair thing. I may end up needing to have it put half up if they can't get all of my hair up.

Thanks Cori :) . I didn't consider the long hair thing. I may end up needing to have it put half up if they can't get all of my hair up.

I think a very sleek, low slung ponytail would look stunning with your dress. Go big and flashy on the earrings and no necklace.

BlueHerons...So funny, I just envisioned the exact same look! ;)

Absolutely....sleek hair, big jewelry, bare decollete.

I think a very sleek, low slung ponytail would look stunning with your dress. Go big and flashy on the earrings and no necklace.

I second that motion to use a hairpiece for formal night. I got a clip-on last year specifically for my cruise and it was great. It looked like I had spent time in the salon, when in reality I simply slicked back my hair and pulled it into a tight bun, plopped the perfectly-styled hairpiece on top and tah-dah.... instant glamour for formal night! I suspect lots of ladies on cruises use this method, because there's not enough appointments in the salon to account for all the fancy updos I see on formal night!!

Archived