Taxi BACK to the ship from Freeport beaches

QLUVS2CRUZ

I've seen lots of posts on prices and distance to the beaches in Freeport...how do you arrange to get a taxi BACK to the ship in the afternoon, especially from some of the beaches that sound a little less populated, like Gold Rock?

Are taxis driving around these beaches regularly?

I've never been to Freeport, but the way it's worked in other ports is you get a cab near the pier and arrange a pickup time. Or, if it's a popular beach like Magens Bay on St. Thomas, there will be plenty of taxis at the beach.

That's how I've done it too - arranged the time...I've read some of these beaches can be quite isolated though, and I'm a little afraid of the taxi not coming back for some reason. I'd like some reassurance that this has worked in Freeport:)

My suggestions would be to go to Taino Beach. Check out this posting and scroll down to the picture of the taxi rates:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1609474&highlight=taxi+rates+freeport

There's a lot of activity at Taino so you shouldn't have to worry. Just arrange a pick-up time. Don't forget, though, you're in the Bahamas! Rare for someone to be on time!

Went to Freeport this past Sat. Picked up cab at pier, $10 pp round trip to Lucaya Beach. Took us dropped us off, gave us a laminate card size of business card. Told us when we were done, to report back to that spot (forgot hotel name), there was a guy there give him the card & taxi would get us. When we were ready to go, we gave our card to guy, taxi was already there waiting, different drive tho. However we had to wait like 15 minutes on other people to "show up" cause they wanted to fill the van. I was NOT happy cause the rest if our party had already left in a full van. Just make sure you adjust your time in case this happens. I raised a little h- e double hockeys sticks & they finally left with 2empty seats.

Went to Freeport this past Sat. Picked up cab at pier, $10 pp round trip to Lucaya Beach. Took us dropped us off, gave us a laminate card size of business card. Told us when we were done, to report back to that spot (forgot hotel name), there was a guy there give him the card & taxi would get us. When we were ready to go, we gave our card to guy, taxi was already there waiting, different drive tho. However we had to wait like 15 minutes on other people to "show up" cause they wanted to fill the van. I was NOT happy cause the rest if our party had already left in a full van. Just make sure you adjust your time in case this happens. I raised a little h- e double hockeys sticks & they finally left with 2empty seats.

Do you know what constitutes a full van? We have 10 people. I wonder if that will be enough.

Do you know what constitutes a full van? We have 10 people. I wonder if that will be enough.

Last time we were there, we had to pay their minimum charge: five people. That was for a minivan, not the large personnel-carrier type they herd everyone to Port Lucaya in. Either way, I think you should be fine. :cool:

Last time we were there, we had to pay their minimum charge: five people. That was for a minivan, not the large personnel-carrier type they herd everyone to Port Lucaya in. Either way, I think you should be fine. :cool:

I have heard this happens, since they consider a group 5 people...going to places other than Lucaya. I've only taken the van to Lucaya and then done a private excursion with tranportation included so never had to worry about a pick up. Since we have four, it wouldn't be much more for us to pay for the 5th person.

I'm not interested in Lucaya this time, but I have heard of Taino and may try that...or maybe Paradise Cove.

They have the BIG vans & the regular size. There are seats the lift up in the middle aisle that can be put down for a seat. 11 in our group rode in a BIG van with others. We were in a van that seated 10 total, 1 in the front seat.

I've seen lots of posts on prices and distance to the beaches in Freeport...how do you arrange to get a taxi BACK to the ship in the afternoon, especially from some of the beaches that sound a little less populated, like Gold Rock?

Are taxis driving around these beaches regularly?

I don't know when you are coming or which beach you are going to, but here is my suggestion. First, you should know what beaches have regular taxi's at them. The beach in the Port Lucaya area and Taino Beach have taxis around all the time. If you are planning on going to Gold Rock (which is in the National Park), I suggest that you do it through either an excursion or with a private tour that is offered on-island. I have used Shamie Rolle from Calabash Eco Tours. He is very knowledgable about all the local flora as well as a butterfly and bird expert. As you make your way to the beach (which is a short hike) he will fill your with lots of interesting facts. Or you can arrange transport through GB Taxi. http://www.grandbahamataxi.cbt.cc/index.html They are the most reliable taxi service on the island.

Xanadu Beach is largely deserted now (except for locals and one hold out trinket seller) and you would have to arrange taxi service there and back in advance. If I can help with any other beaches (we do have a LOT of them here in Freeport) please let me know. Enjoy your stay!

I don't know when you are coming or which beach you are going to, but here is my suggestion. First, you should know what beaches have regular taxi's at them. The beach in the Port Lucaya area and Taino Beach have taxis around all the time. If you are planning on going to Gold Rock (which is in the National Park), I suggest that you do it through either an excursion or with a private tour that is offered on-island. I have used Shamie Rolle from Calabash Eco Tours. He is very knowledgable about all the local flora as well as a butterfly and bird expert. As you make your way to the beach (which is a short hike) he will fill your with lots of interesting facts. Or you can arrange transport through GB Taxi. http://www.grandbahamataxi.cbt.cc/index.html They are the most reliable taxi service on the island.

Xanadu Beach is largely deserted now (except for locals and one hold out trinket seller) and you would have to arrange taxi service there and back in advance. If I can help with any other beaches (we do have a LOT of them here in Freeport) please let me know. Enjoy your stay!

Thank you! I hope you enjoy your cruise!

I said no to Lucaya Beach, but we may do that and pay for Radisson wrist bands since the taxi cost is a lot less to get there, and we just want a nice beach day...and I'd like the use of the beach chairs and pool if available.

Archived