Itinerary Change - Europe Wine Cruise

Soccer Mom 96

Hi Everyone!

I was received confirmation of an itinerary change on the 9/18/13 Celebrity Infinity Wine Immersive Cruise. On 9/22 and 9/23, the ship will now overnight in La Rochelle rather than Le Verdon. Don't know if other sailing dates are effected or not.

Soccer Mom

Compared to the dump called Le Verdon, La Rochelle is at the other end of the scale! We have been to La Rochelle several times on P&O, and it is a lovely port, although you do berth some distance away. Would have much preferred to have called there on our Connie September 2012 cruise, there was a lot of criticism of Le Verdon, as it was miles from Bordeaux, and it was just a container port in the marshes.

Richard

I haven't done much research yet on La Rochelle. I was looking forward to our private tour to the wineries in the Medoc region but the company said this was not possible anymore due to the starting point. They are putting together some options to visit wineries in the St. Emillion area or visits to the Cognac region. I'm sure we will be happy with whatever as we haven't been to anyplace in France before.

Soccer Mom

I haven't done much research yet on La Rochelle. I was looking forward to our private tour to the wineries in the Medoc region but the company said this was not possible anymore due to the starting point. They are putting together some options to visit wineries in the St. Emillion area or visits to the Cognac region. I'm sure we will be happy with whatever as we haven't been to anyplace in France before.

Soccer Mom

The reality is that a grape is a grape and they pretty much all look the same unless you are standing at the vine :) You will see just as many, if not more, famous vinyards in the St Emillion or cognac region as you would have seen in the medoc region...and you will have the opportunity to spend far more than you ever thought on famous wines/cognacs.

All the areas are picturesque. It's an interesting way to get an introduction to France...most of course go to Paris first, or visit normandy or the French Riviera on a cruise.

Best lunch....a loaf of freshly baked bread, some french cheeses and a bottle of wine.....

Hi Everyone!

I was received confirmation of an itinerary change on the 9/18/13 Celebrity Infinity Wine Immersive Cruise. On 9/22 and 9/23, the ship will now overnight in La Rochelle rather than Le Verdon. Don't know if other sailing dates are effected or not.

Soccer Mom

We're on the 10/12/13 sailing and have not been notified of any changes in itinerary and I wonder if this is a one time change. The Celebrity website still shows the original ports for your sailing. Were you notified by email?

Shep

One of the tour operators I was communicating with for a private tour during our Le Verdon stop said they had heard rumors that Celebrity had changed ports so I called them this morning. They confirmed that it was a recent change. I have since received a new confirmation that shows La Rochelle. I posted about this change on the Infinity Roll Calls on the threads I could find for the wine cruises and several have since replied that upon calls to Celebrity, their sailings have also been changed. You might want to call Celebrity or have your travel agent call.

Soccer Mom

Our cruise was changed also (Oct 12) and I have heard that we will also be leaving earlier from Bilbao 1:00 instead of 3:00. I can't understand why unless the order of the ports are changed also. Many of us already have tours planned. I haven't heard from my TA or Celebrity yet. People on our rollcall have called the Captain's Club and the change has been confirmed. Will I never learn? Don't book early; don't book early; don't book early.

Cynthia

Our cruise was changed also (Oct 12) and I have heard that we will also be leaving earlier from Bilbao 1:00 instead of 3:00. I can't understand why unless the order of the ports are changed also. Many of us already have tours planned. I haven't heard from my TA or Celebrity yet. People on our rollcall have called the Captain's Club and the change has been confirmed. Will I never learn? Don't book early; don't book early; don't book early.

Cynthia

Just got confirmation from our TA about Oct 12. Does that mean we will be overnighting at LaRochelle, that great wine capital city? Does it mean we will only be there a day? And what is this bs about "enhancing guest experience" by changing ports?

We are overnighting in La Rochelle. The port times are actually the same as Le Verdon. From what I have read, the port of La Rochelle is much nicer than Le Verdon. Many of the reviews from this fall's cruises said it was a terrible port so maybe Celebrity changed it because of that?

Others are correct that the departure time on the 2nd day in Bilbao has changed from 3pm to 1pm. I knew that as well...sorry I didn't include it in my posts. This is what I received regarding the change in Bilbao...

"The departure time from Bilbao, Spain has changed from 3:00 PM to 1:00 PM. This change was made at the request of CEL Marine for speed concerns."

Soccer Mom

This is what I received regarding the change in Bilbao...

"The departure time from Bilbao, Spain has changed from 3:00 PM to 1:00 PM. This change was made at the request of CEL Marine for speed concerns."

Soccer Mom

Thanks again for keeping us informed. I still have not heard from Celebrity but the changes are now on "My Celebrity." I agree that the port itself is probably nicer. I checked my transatlantic and La Rochelle only has four excursions listed and none involve wine. One does include cognac. Saintes & Cognac LR02 and the cost is $164 pp.

Does anyone know what CEL Marine is?

Cynthia

I haven't looked at the transatlantic itinerary but are you in La Rochelle overnight on that? If not, that may explain why no wine excursions. The tour operator I have been communicating with when it was Le Verdon said they could still do a tour for us but it would be to either St.Emilion or Cognac. We wouldn't be able to go to the Medoc wine area. She is putting together some options for us. She said St. Emilion is about 2 hours from port and Cognac is 45 min to 1 hour. Hope that helps.

Soccer Mom

The cognac tour is 9 hours. The ship is docked 7:00 to 5:00. Good luck with rearranging your tours. I'm not in charge but had signed up for a wine tour from Le Verdon. I know the organizer put down a deposit of 30%. I hope something can be worked out.

I imagine Celebrity is working on offering some wine friendly tours.

Cynthia

I just checked "My celebrity" for our Sept 30th sailing and it too reflects La Rochelle and the departure time of 1 instead of 3 in Bilboa. It is not changed on most internet sites if you are looking to book yet though.

Archived