Snuba / Snorkel

kre8ivejen

This is our first cruise and I have not snorkeled since i was like 10 (I am now 36) and am not a great swimmer/athlete... We are traveling to the southern Caribbean at the end of february and are trying to figure out if we should snorkel or should snuba or should go on one of those atlantis submarine things - PLEASE, any ideas or opinions would be much appreciated!!! :) THANX! :)

I have done snuba in various different ports, with my kids (tween and teen ages), and we have all LOVED it. It is a great experience, and much, much better than snorkeling which is also good, of course. With Snuba, you go down on a shallow dive, usually 12-15 feet, and it is really the same as scuba without carrying the tank. Some of the best diving can be done in 12-15 shallow water, so it can be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that you posted this question. We are going on our first cruise in just over a week now. We have an 11 yr old girl and a 13 year old boy. When looking over the excursions, we saw this SNUBA one in Key West, and both kids seem like they really want to try it. None of us have any snorkeling or scuba experience. I had one person say that we shouldn't try it, but I don't see what the danger is other that the "what if" kind of situations.

We could use any advice or input on this that anybody has, so that we can let the kids know as soon as possible whether we'll be trying this or not. As far as I can tell, no harm in trying it. But then again, I don't want to be putting anybody at any risk either. Help? Anybody?

I have done snuba in various different ports, with my kids (tween and teen ages), and we have all LOVED it. It is a great experience, and much, much better than snorkeling which is also good, of course. With Snuba, you go down on a shallow dive, usually 12-15 feet, and it is really the same as scuba without carrying the tank. Some of the best diving can be done in 12-15 shallow water, so it can be great.

Do they have masks that will work for a bearded man? I know when he snorkels he has to use swim goggles or hold the snorkel mask tight to his face. Have you done snuba in Key West? Thanks:)

I'm glad that you posted this question. We are going on our first cruise in just over a week now. We have an 11 yr old girl and a 13 year old boy. When looking over the excursions, we saw this SNUBA one in Key West, and both kids seem like they really want to try it. None of us have any snorkeling or scuba experience. I had one person say that we shouldn't try it, but I don't see what the danger is other that the "what if" kind of situations.

We could use any advice or input on this that anybody has, so that we can let the kids know as soon as possible whether we'll be trying this or not. As far as I can tell, no harm in trying it. But then again, I don't want to be putting anybody at any risk either. Help? Anybody?

Any of the operators w/ ship's excursions that I've ever been on are very aware of those who haven't snorkeled before or aren't experienced and will spend extra time with them so they feel comfortable.

This is our first cruise and I have not snorkeled since i was like 10 (I am now 36) and am not a great swimmer/athlete... We are traveling to the southern Caribbean at the end of february and are trying to figure out if we should snorkel or should snuba or should go on one of those atlantis submarine things - PLEASE, any ideas or opinions would be much appreciated!!! :) THANX! :)

I LOVE SNUBA. snuba is available in st marten (highly recommend) and st thomas (i snuba there everytime we go) st marten they take you out in to the ocean on a boat to a cove area that has a bunch of fish and coral and other things to see. we saw an eel, angelfish, something that looked like a stick but was alive , a bunch of fish little and some that were big alot of coral as well. after you are done with snuba while you are waiting for the rest of tour group to finish with snuba you can snorkel around the cove. they have a structure they had built that looks like a helicopter under water for you to see.

with st thomas you start off at the beach walk into the ocean. you see some fish and coral as well.

I LOVE SNUBA. snuba is available in st marten (highly recommend) and st thomas (i snuba there everytime we go) st marten they take you out in to the ocean on a boat to a cove area that has a bunch of fish and coral and other things to see. we saw an eel, angelfish, something that looked like a stick but was alive , a bunch of fish little and some that were big alot of coral as well. after you are done with snuba while you are waiting for the rest of tour group to finish with snuba you can snorkel around the cove. they have a structure they had built that looks like a helicopter under water for you to see.

with st thomas you start off at the beach walk into the ocean. you see some fish and coral as well.

In St Thomas, with the beach walk in, was this a ship excursion or did you do a private excursion and if so, can I get the operators name?

a great question.

I am going on my first cruise in April with my daughter. One of the excursion is snokling with the sea Lions, and I'm not a good swimmer and never snokle in my life or even thought of doing it. LOL

First for everything-- right? I was concern over this.. Being close to a Sea Lion is great as I think they are so cute.. but snokling... I can't even hold my breathe or swim under water..

so hopefully I wil have one that will help me along this path.

Do they have masks that will work for a bearded man? I know when he snorkels he has to use swim goggles or hold the snorkel mask tight to his face. Have you done snuba in Key West? Thanks:)

Use some silicone lubicant to help seal mask to facial hair. Just put lubicaint on mustache and then put mask on. Cleans off with soap and water.

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad to hear from someone who has done Snuba in St. Maarten. We would like to do this in October, but I'm nervous because we are taking our kids. I have a few questions:

1) How many people are on the excursion? And how many guides per how many people? I read about one in St Thomas that has 6 people per guide which would be ideal for having children who have never done this before.

2) Do they rush you to get in the water or take time with instruction?

3) When you arrive back to the dock is there a beach nearby where you can stay and swim before getting back on the ship?

TIA for answers!

Kristin

as someone who hasn't snuba'ed (?) I have a few questions (although snorkel and scuba experience)

do you use some weights to keep you down?

how do you fetch the regulator if you loose it under water? Is it connected to your body?

Otherwise, have fun!

• 3 months later...
as someone who hasn't snuba'ed (?) I have a few questions (although snorkel and scuba experience)

do you use some weights to keep you down?

how do you fetch the regulator if you loose it under water? Is it connected to your body?

Otherwise, have fun!

Yes they ask your weight to figure out the weight belt to put on you.

Yes your regulator in strapped on you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm so glad to hear from someone who has done Snuba in St. Maarten. We would like to do this in October, but I'm nervous because we are taking our kids. I have a few questions:

1) How many people are on the excursion? And how many guides per how many people? I read about one in St Thomas that has 6 people per guide which would be ideal for having children who have never done this before.

2) Do they rush you to get in the water or take time with instruction?

3) When you arrive back to the dock is there a beach nearby where you can stay and swim before getting back on the ship?

TIA for answers!

Kristin

1. On our excursion we have 5 people doing snuba with 3 guides

2. We jumped off a boat. They gave a lot of time for instructions (3 out of 5 had done snuba several times before)

3.the snuba excursion only has 4 lines so myself my husband and the other person who did snuba before went first. While we we during snuba the other 2 people were snorkeling. Once we came back thy went we snorkeled

I believe there was a beach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived