Recommended 'secret' Aqua cabins on the summit

Xcitdcruiser

Hello, I've gone around in circles looking the for 'best cabin'.

I would like to take advantage of the 123 Promotion & looking at a new sailing (11 Jan 2014). I originally wanted a Sky Suite but the difference between an AQ & S1 is $800!

From research is sounds as if cabin 9038 is the cabin to grab, so someone else has already grabbed it. 1140 is the most private of the aft cabins, & that one is taken also. 1141 is available but worried about the privacy - will be on our honeymoon :)

Can anyone recommend the next best set of Aqua cabins?

(I've tried the sticky at the top of the page but the search function doesn't seem to be working)

Many thanks - & i promise a complete review when i return!

We were in 1130 and my mother in law was in 1138. I loved it. It was a huge balcony. We were able to lay out and relax. Our balcony was about 1/3 shade. Hers was even bigger. 1140 was bigger yet but I swear I never saw them out on their balcony once. We had no privacy issues. I saw maybe one or two people a day looking up at us. Once when we leaving a port I saw a few people on deck 12. I loved being able to come up with coffee in the morning and just handing it over to my husband as he sat on the balcony. I would book it again in a second.

We were in 1130 and my mother in law was in 1138. I loved it. It was a huge balcony. We were able to lay out and relax. Our balcony was about 1/3 shade. Hers was even bigger. 1140 was bigger yet but I swear I never saw them out on their balcony once. We had no privacy issues. I saw maybe one or two people a day looking up at us. Once when we leaving a port I saw a few people on deck 12. I loved being able to come up with coffee in the morning and just handing it over to my husband as he sat on the balcony. I would book it again in a second.

Thank you for your input - at what point can one see inside the cabin? Or when people looking up do can they only see the balcony?

Thank you for your post I recently booked A1-1132 on Millennium for a 35 day B to B and you have resolved any concerns we had.

Hello, I've gone around in circles looking the for 'best cabin'.

I would like to take advantage of the 123 Promotion & looking at a new sailing (11 Jan 2014). I originally wanted a Sky Suite but the difference between an AQ & S1 is $800!

From research is sounds as if cabin 9038 is the cabin to grab, so someone else has already grabbed it. 1140 is the most private of the aft cabins, & that one is taken also. 1141 is available but worried about the privacy - will be on our honeymoon :)

Can anyone recommend the next best set of Aqua cabins?

(I've tried the sticky at the top of the page but the search function doesn't seem to be working)

Many thanks - & i promise a complete review when i return!

Besides the noise from the Sunset Bar up to late at night (noise is traveling upward) especially cabin 1141 and 1133 are a health hazard due to secondary smoke. The Port Side of the Sunset Bar is a smoking area, also for cigars and pipes. We stayed last month on the Millennium in 1141,

daily complaints didn't help very much. The Smokers, especially during hot and rainy days are sitting down under the cover (meaning under your balkony) up to and sometimes even over the middle of the Sunset Bar. Couple of times during a cruise is "Cigar Night", selling cigars in the middle of the Sunset Bar. Management is quite naive in thinking that Smokers would go to the port side to light the cigar. Have plenty of pictures of these violations by Ship's Management not enforcing the Rules and Regulations.

In general we prefer the cabins on the stern of ships, never again will we be booking the X-Aqua cabins on the stern side of deck 11.

lousyman/Horst

Only the balcony and from the door out about 5 feet is under the awning. So if you're standing at your railing people can see you. If you are sitting at the table under the awning, no one can see you. If I remember correctly 1141 would be like 1138 so if you are standing on the balcony there, people at the sunset bar would really have to strain to see you since there is the awning at the sunset bar blocking the majority of their view up.

As far as noise, there was no noise issue at all. We would leave the door open to hear the music and it was more like background music and once we closed the door we couldn't hear a thing, not even the announcements over the PA system. We never had any smoke issues either. And believe me after reading on here about issues, I was on the lookout but never happened.

Have a look at this thread all about the aqua class cabins on Sumit - fantastic photos to show the balconies and what people can see from the aft bar:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629443&highlight=summit+1140

Thanks Yvette for the link - superb thread!! It didn't quite answer the 'how far canyou see in' question but i'm pretty content now... except for lousyman's comments..

Besides the noise from the Sunset Bar up to late at night (noise is traveling upward) especially cabin 1141 and 1133 are a health hazard due to secondary smoke. The Port Side of the Sunset Bar is a smoking area, also for cigars and pipes. We stayed last month on the Millennium in 1141,

daily complaints didn't help very much. The Smokers, especially during hot and rainy days are sitting down under the cover (meaning under your balkony) up to and sometimes even over the middle of the Sunset Bar. Couple of times during a cruise is "Cigar Night", selling cigars in the middle of the Sunset Bar. Management is quite naive in thinking that Smokers would go to the port side to light the cigar. Have plenty of pictures of these violations by Ship's Management not enforcing the Rules and Regulations.

In general we prefer the cabins on the stern of ships, never again will we be booking the X-Aqua cabins on the stern side of deck 11.

lousyman/Horst

Thank you for positng your input - I wouldnt be too worried about noise, but the smoke. Do you have any cabins in Aqua that you would recommend?

Has anyone else experienced problems with smoke in 1141? Maybe there was a heavy lot of smokers that particular cruising...?

Thanks Yvette for the link - superb thread!! It didn't quite answer the 'how far canyou see in' question but i'm pretty content now... except for lousyman's comments..

We've been in 1138 and 1140 on the Summit, and will be on the Summit again in Feb in 1140. Aft on this ship is our favorite place, by far!

There is no issue with noise unless you want there to be - if you leave the slider open, you will be entertained by music, with it closed there is no noise from outside. Smoke was not an issue in either cabin either time. There is smoking on the port side, but it never ever drifted up to us (and I really hate cig smoke). Not to say it couldn't, but it really was a non-issue each time for us.

As for views "in" for the 3 center aft cabins, no one on the deck below at the bar or tables can see into your cabin, and they can not see to the area directly near your slider door (under overhang). When sitting in chairs/lounger under overhang, you cannot really see down to deck below and they cannot see you (now if you stretched yourself up you could see the outer edges of the deck below). Standing in that area you would be able to be seen just a bit from those standing at the edge on the deck below. Standing or sitting out by the balcony railing then you can see and be seen by some below. So, you can choose your level of privacy. Many times we would hang out there and those below never even knew we were there. Now, that does not apply to the 2 end cabins aft - the balcony can entirely be seen from the deck below, and the deck below MAY be able to see into cabin (I have no personal knowledge, but if you ask again in mid-March I can report back!)

A great benefit to those deck 11 AQ cabins is the access to the sunset bar and buffet! Right down the back stairs and you're there! Hate to add to the long list of those trying to book these great cabins, but in reality they do have lots of things to love. But then, how can you go wrong in AQ, anyway. Do enjoy!

Thank you for positng your input - I wouldnt be too worried about noise, but the smoke. Do you have any cabins in Aqua that you would recommend?

Has anyone else experienced problems with smoke in 1141? Maybe there was a heavy lot of smokers that particular cruising...?

For us it takes one cigar or pipe smoker under the balcony to spoil the fun.

Haven't used any cabins on the sides of deck 11, but browsing through various sailings a lot are quite often still available close to sailing date. Deck 11 quite high during heavy seas. The Aqua cabin on Deck 9 are under the ship's overhang, so majority of cabins no sunshine. We love the A-program, especially the Blu restaurant, but due to the shortcomings with the balconies we are done with this program.

lousyman/Horst

We stayed in 1138 on the Summit in December. It was a wonderful cabin with an oversized balcony. Privacy was not an issue unless you are at the balcony railing OR you have another ship behind you. Since the southern Caribbean itinerary is so port instensive, we woke up a couple of time with another ship docked behind us. Of course you could have that same issue on any of the ship's sides. Noise or smoke was never an issue. It was convenient to have the sunset bar below for a quick drink run. We also liked the location of 11 th floor cabins. It was a little quieter and more removed from the other cabins but still convenient to get everywhere.

Funny I would say 9038 because even with the door shut, the noise coming up from below does impact on your peace and quiet. In the aft rooms, if you want a quiet time on your balcony and there are party people at the Bar below you having an afternoon of fun, you sure will know about it!!

We had 1141 on Summit in October. Only if you are out at the rail can anyone above or below see you. It has a great balcony. I actually prefer it to 1140 because with the angle it does not quite feel as tunnel-like as 1140. We had no issue with smoke. We spend hours on the balcony. Loved the background music when musician was playing at the sunset bar. We only like aft cabins since traveling in afts on all the M-class ships. We love the wake view when sailing. No one can see into your cabin, unless while you are in port, there is another ship parked behind the summit.

Ok - Decision time!!!

Cabin 9038 or 1138 - I've just found that both are available on our sailing!

Isn't there a difference in price, too? 9038 should be A2, 1138 an A1 cabin. Sometimes there is a difference of 200-300 $ which I'd personally consider pocket money to have or not to have. On the other hand - for a honeymoon...

Isn't there a difference in price, too? 9038 should be A2, 1138 an A1 cabin. Sometimes there is a difference of 200-300 $ which I'd personally consider pocket money to have or not to have. On the other hand - for a honeymoon...

The difference between A1(1138) & A2 (9038) on this sailing is only $47pp - which I'm happy to spend if it were on the 'best' cabin.

Which would you go for?

We were in 9038 in November for our B2B sailing - it was a good room. It has an oversized balcony as it is at an angle, so you can also see ahead, whereas the people next door on one side can't see ahead. There is a large overhang which is great to keep you our of the sun but does block your view of the sky a little. I believe that 1138 has a much bigger balcony though, and you would have better views. Also 1138 is a new cabin and 9038 is refurbished. I would take 1138 if I was you, even though we really liked 9038.

I don't have any secret cabin to recommend. We stayed in 1110 on our Summit cruise. A "normal" A1 cabin but we loved everything about it - the newness and the proximity to the main staircase which is easier to navigate than the steeper stairs from the aft sunset deck. We purchase the beverage package o we spend a lot of time aft at the sunset bar so having a different view from our balcony cabin is nice, too. We've booked the same cabin on the same cruise next year. You will love the Summit!

Archived