Questions about Kids' Programs

Pam in KY

An extended family trip on the Eurodam the first week in April includes children ages 7, 9, and 16. The parents can't find the information they want to know about the children's program so I volunteered to check here. What kinds of activities are planned for 7 and 9 year olds? Is there a charge for Club Hal? Do they just check in and out as the parents wish?

Also, the Holland America website mentions Children's Cooking Class/ Demo and also one for teens. Are these part of Club Hal? Do you have to sign up for it and is there a charge for this? Is this listed on the daily newsletter?

For one I don't think the 7 and 9 year olds will be in the same group. My grandson was seven on our last family cruise and he was in the group with the four year olds.

When my grandson was four I remember there being a cooking class for that group. They made pizza I believe. If they had one on the last cruise I didn't hear about it. No charge and no sign up when he did go to the class. I think t may have been more of a demonstration type class.

There is no charge for club HAL but if you require extra babysitting there is a charge.

I am sure others will have more input.

The children's activities are not all listed in the daily Exporer program.

Once the children are signed up for Club HAL -- a program just for them listing their activities will be delivered to the cabin each day.

As for the cooking class and/or demo for them -- a couple of times I have seen them listed in the daily Explorer program.

My kids were 7 and 10 the last time we were on HAL. They loved Club HAL and it is free. Many activities kept them hopping and they wanted to be there all the time, even to closing at 10 PM which was past their home bed time.

The 7 year old was in the youngest group and the 10 year old in the middle age group for activies but since there were only 30 kids total, with less than 10 in the youngest age group our 7 year old was invited to join the middle group more times than not. The youngest age group has to be signed in and out by a parent or guardian. You can opt for sign in-out by the child in the middle group and their are no sign in requirements for teens.

If I remember correctly the hours (in Alaska) were 9 - 11:30; 1:00 - 5:00 and 7:00 - 10:00. We were very impressed with the staff at Club Hal and with the activities. They had the kids do crafts, scavanger hunts (supervised) around the ship, Club Hal Olympics, a Park Ranger came aboard in Glacier Bay and the kids all got their own kit, they made pancakes from scratch with the Club Hal staff in the cooking class area (they loved it) and that is something they signed up for in Club Hal. There are video games for the middle group (starts at age 8 I think) and teens. They go to the Theatre and watch movies, they had a pyjamma party one night. I am sure I am forgetting some activies. The teen area has no hours and the kids can come and go. I heard one mother in the library say that she had to send her other son up at 2 in the morning to get her oldest to come back to the cabin....

The kids will have a blast if they like to be creative and join in with others.

Have a great cruise.

hi Estebofarr, you were on a Norway cruise last year with your granddaughter?

question: how many kids of the age around 12 were on this cruise?

we are going this summer with our kids (8 & 12)

Archived