Mahuhual???

dianelevene

The last time we were in Costa Maya was in 2004 or 2005. We took a cab into Mahuhual where we found a lovely beach right in the middle of the town. There were plenty of beach chairs and a small place that served sodas and snacks. Is that still there? Or if we want to go to a beach, do we need to book a place like Maya Chan? We have a group of 10 people that range in age from 6 years old to active seniors.

The last time we were in Costa Maya was in 2004 or 2005. We took a cab into Mahuhual where we found a lovely beach right in the middle of the town. There were plenty of beach chairs and a small place that served sodas and snacks. Is that still there? Or if we want to go to a beach, do we need to book a place like Maya Chan? We have a group of 10 people that range in age from 6 years old to active seniors.

We visited Mahahual very soon after it first was established, and like you, fell in love with the tiny fishing village, charming beach and unspoiled way of life. We will be visiting again next week (Jan 2013) and I believe it has changed tremendously. We are TOTALLY hoping to find the beach vendor guy that used to sell deep fried plantains and hot sauce.

Maya Chan, Nohoch Kay, Tropicante and more are all located on that previously pristine, unspoiled beach. :eek:

For detailed information - read the posts in this forum.

Just briefly, Tropicante & 100% Agave do NOT require reservations and are NOT all inclusive resorts. Pay as you go, order what you want.

Maya Chan and Nohoch Kay (we're going to Nohoch:D) are all inclusive, private beaches with small numbers accepted daily. Kids are $20 and adults $40 at Nohoch Kay including food and drink and pampering galore.... or so I've been led to believe. Will report in when we return:)

Check out their reviews here and on TA for info.

we were there last week. Still plenty of places on the beach and the town seemed a bit cleaner as the last time I was there was shortly after a hurricane.

We just walked down the beach until we found a place we liked, camped and ate and drank beer. DW got a great 1 hr massage for $25 (+$5 tip).

So we can still find a nice place to sit at the beach in the town? Or should we plan to book one of the resorts. My DH tends to get sunburned rather quickly so we don't usually stay the beach all day. We'll usually go for a couple of hours and then head back to the ship. That's what has been holding me back from doing one of the all inclusive places. I don't know that it pays for us to do that. In Cozumel we usually head to Paradise Beach where we pay as we go and I like that.

Here is a 13 minute

of a bike ride through town along the Malecon. It was uploaded to YouTube in Feb 2012. It looks as if it was taken in the morning before all the cruisers arrive in town. As the go farther along the street gets busier. You can see vendors and waiters waiting on people. It looks just lovely. I can't wait to get there!

The place has changed remarkedly from 2004-05. If you take the bus from the port and get off at Tequilla Beach, the first stop and then attept to walk down the malecon, you'll be "attacked" but the "vultures"(has Jaime at Nohoch kay calls them) attempting to get you on a lounger at their particular place. Plenty of loungers around though. If you'r einfront of Tropicante, just ask for Steve and let him know you're returning after 7-8 years. 100% Agave has moved to the beach just down from Tropicante. And Pez Quadro still has its palm trees and loungers. I think you can get the internet special on the AI package there, but you don't need to pre-reserve to use their beach.

If there's mor ethan one ship in port when you're there, and you want to avoid the crowds, then do book an AI with Nohoch Kay on the malecon or Maya Chan, or Almapena, a short distance south.

We have a new BBQ restaurant with beach that does not require reservations. We only serve slow-smoked meats with homemade side and some vegetarian dishes as well.

If you are looking for a place for good Mexican food or dishes with fish, Nohoch Kay is where we always go.

Enjoy your visit!

We have a new BBQ restaurant with beach that does not require reservations. We only serve slow-smoked meats with homemade side and some vegetarian dishes as well.

If you are looking for a place for good Mexican food or dishes with fish, Nohoch Kay is where we always go.

Enjoy your visit!

Where's the new spot?

Lechon? Cochinita pibil? Cabrito? :)

Fernando had a nice lechon taco at his old place. Jaime has always done good things with fish and seafood.

Now I'm hungry.:D

Big Papa's BBQ is located on the Malecon right by the port captains office, next to Fernando's. We are putting a bar on the top story so you can have a few drinks with the best view in Mahahual.

We have great food and some awesome desserts.

We will be in Costa Maya again (3rd time) this Feb. We are pretty boaring, just like to go to the beach to sun and swim. I know the beaches in Mexico are free but does anyone know where we can go to do that w/o the push to buy stuff, drink, eat or get a massage? We were there several years ago before the hurricane hit and know they had to rebuiild so we are aware the area has changed over the years. Any ideas would be appreciated. Plan to walk or take a cab from outside the port. Thanks in advance. :cool:

• 1 month later...
Big Papa's BBQ is located on the Malecon right by the port captains office, next to Fernando's. We are putting a bar on the top story so you can have a few drinks with the best view in Mahahual.

We have great food and some awesome desserts.

Sorry, what is the Malecon? How far from the port is the restaurant?

We will be in Costa Maya again (3rd time) this Feb. We are pretty boaring, just like to go to the beach to sun and swim. I know the beaches in Mexico are free but does anyone know where we can go to do that w/o the push to buy stuff, drink, eat or get a massage? We were there several years ago before the hurricane hit and know they had to rebuiild so we are aware the area has changed over the years. Any ideas would be appreciated. Plan to walk or take a cab from outside the port. Thanks in advance. :cool:

I'd be surprised if there were any beach clubs where you could use their facilities for free and not be expected to at least buy some drinks or food. Any beach club that let you sit there "rent free" would quickly be out of business!

• 2 months later...
Here is a 13 minute
of a bike ride through town along the Malecon. It was uploaded to YouTube in Feb 2012. It looks as if it was taken in the morning before all the cruisers arrive in town. As the go farther along the street gets busier. You can see vendors and waiters waiting on people. It looks just lovely. I can't wait to get there!

Thanks for sharing this video, loved it! Think we will get over to Malecon and just walk around and chill out.

We recently returned and i would recommend Tropicante. We have been there many times and Steve, the owner is american and chairs are free, as long as you buy something. Buckets of 6 beers 15.00..can't beat that. Steve also will let you use his phone and internet. Best place on the beach...take your chair and put it in the water, drink and relax..

Archived