Renting a jeep or scooter in Cozumel?

hotrodchick7887

Has anyone ever rented a Jeep or scooter in Cozumel to do some sight seeing? Ive been to Cozumel twice now and their driving is just plain scary! Was curious of what will happen if you are involved in an accident in a rented vehicle while there... Ive heard that they see it as a criminal offense. As a deputy sheriff the last thing in the world I need is to be worried about going to jail in Mexico! We have a group of 27 people leaving New Orleans on Jan 31 and I'm tying to figure out our best options for Cozumel. Thanks!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

We rented a car for a week while in Cozumel and had no problem. The driving was pretty confusing at times. We took a lot of pictures of the car before we left the rental place. I'm going back to Coz on a cruise in March and am thinking of renting a car again. You can go see Punta Sur and the Tequila Factory.. which were two of my favorite things. A taxi to either of these places would cost more than a rental. I have heard some horror stories, but overall, I think most people have no problem with rentals.

We have been to Cozumel twice and have rented a jeep both times and have had no problems. In my opinion it is the way to go. We are going to be back in Cozumel in April and will be renting a jeep again. We love being able to drive around and stop where ever and whenever we want. I would highly suggest renting either a jeep, buggy or car. Our first time in Cozumel we saw a scooter accident so to me they are more dangerous.

We have been to Cozumel twice and have rented a jeep both times and have had no problems. In my opinion it is the way to go. We are going to be back in Cozumel in April and will be renting a jeep again. We love being able to drive around and stop where ever and whenever we want. I would highly suggest renting either a jeep, buggy or car. Our first time in Cozumel we saw a scooter accident so to me they are more dangerous.

We are also wanting to rent convertible type vehicle that seats 5. We will be docking at Puerta Maya peir.

Where did you rent your jeep from? Do the gas stations take American money?

We have never done this before, any advice :)

Has anyone ever rented a Jeep or scooter in Cozumel to do some sight seeing? Ive been to Cozumel twice now and their driving is just plain scary! Was curious of what will happen if you are involved in an accident in a rented vehicle while there... Ive heard that they see it as a criminal offense. As a deputy sheriff the last thing in the world I need is to be worried about going to jail in Mexico! We have a group of 27 people leaving New Orleans on Jan 31 and I'm tying to figure out our best options for Cozumel. Thanks!!

With a group of 27 you would need a few jeeps or a whole bunch of scooters:confused. Why not get in touch with someone like Tom from Coz bar hop tour, I would think he will customize any tour you want with a group of that size. Or, you could all just taxi to a beach club like PB or Playa Uvas but I would reserve first.

With a group of 27 you would need a few jeeps or a whole bunch of scooters:confused. Why not get in touch with someone like Tom from Coz bar hop tour, I would think he will customize any tour you want with a group of that size. Or, you could all just taxi to a beach club like PB or Playa Uvas but I would reserve first.

Not everyone in our group will all be doing the same thing, some are going diving and just doing their own things. Some of us were interested in renting jeeps but we were concerned about how they drive down there and didn't want any trouble.

We are also wanting to rent convertible type vehicle that seats 5. We will be docking at Puerta Maya peir.

Where did you rent your jeep from? Do the gas stations take American money?

We have never done this before, any advice :)

In Puerta Maya there are plenty of car rental places and we just went with who could give us the best deal but I don't remember what company it was. In the other port (can't remember the name)there is only one rental company so you have no choice. In Puerta Maya we rented a buggy and not all the rental places had them. I think we paid around $60 for the whole day. You had to leave a drivers license and credit card info with them and then you could either bill your credit card or use cash when you turned the rental back in. They will take American money no problem ;)

In Puerta Maya there are plenty of car rental places and we just went with who could give us the best deal but I don't remember what company it was. In the other port (can't remember the name)there is only one rental company so you have no choice. In Puerta Maya we rented a buggy and not all the rental places had them. I think we paid around $60 for the whole day. You had to leave a drivers license and credit card info with them and then you could either bill your credit card or use cash when you turned the rental back in. They will take American money no problem ;)

Alamo is very expensive. Avis has great prices but don't have what we are looking for. Rentadora has a great reputation and the cutest VW Bug convertible I have ever seen, but she is located down town. So we would be looking at taxi fare there and back and there is 5 of us...how many persons can they get in one cab that I don't know.

From what I can tell our ship will be the only ship at our pier and the Disney Wonder will be the only other ship in Cozumel that day with us. So it won't be busy and I am thinking of just waiting until we get there to check it all out. I am sure there are other rental places as you say in Puerta Maya that are not advertised on the internet....or I haven't located them.

Thanks for your response.

Love CC :D

• 1 year later...