Tromso cable car

When I went to check on info about the cable car in Tromso the website said "closed for the rest of the year". I wrote to them asking if they meant to the end of 2012 or 2013. They responded:

"I am sorry to inform you that the cable car is not running this winter due to damage to a cable during maintenance. Hopefully we will open in June 2013."

Hopefully it will be well before June but I recommend keeping an eye on it if you are planning to visit Tromso.

When I went to check on info about the cable car in Tromso the website said "closed for the rest of the year". I wrote to them asking if they meant to the end of 2012 or 2013. They responded: "I am sorry to inform you that the cable car is not running this winter due to damage to a cable during maintenance. Hopefully we will open in June 2013." Hopefully it will be well before June but I recommend keeping an eye on it if you are planning to visit Tromso.

Appreciate this heads up. Yes, this cable car was one of our top highlights for visiting this town. We had great weather and below are two examples for what you can see from this awesome viewing site.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 92,291 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the mountain top of Mt. Storsteinen, 1,260 feet above the sea, this is a wider shot of the area showing the dramatic setting of this island city of Tromso and its nearby airport, bridges, mountains, etc.:

TromsoDramaticSky.jpg

From the mountain top, here is the “back” view of the Arctic Cathedral.:

TromsoArcCathBack.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
When I went to check on info about the cable car in Tromso the website said "closed for the rest of the year". I wrote to them asking if they meant to the end of 2012 or 2013. They responded:

"I am sorry to inform you that the cable car is not running this winter due to damage to a cable during maintenance. Hopefully we will open in June 2013."

Hopefully it will be well before June but I recommend keeping an eye on it if you are planning to visit Tromso.

When I went to the website today to check, it said that it would be reopening in May. Lets hope they keep keep to their schedule.

When I went to the website today to check, it said that it would be reopening in May. Lets hope they keep keep to their schedule.

Great to hear. Yes, hope they meet their schedule. Generally, those in Norway are pretty dependable and well organized for they get things done. Below is another of my visuals from this great location with its wonderful views.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 96,114 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Taking the cable car up to the top of Mt. Storsteinen at 1,260 feet provides great views of the town of Tromso, nearby islands, mountains and water. With our mid-day weather so sunny, it really helped enjoy this city in such a great setting. The Arctic Cathedral is shown bottom right in this picture.:

TromsoOverallCityView.jpg

Archived