Alaska on Amsterdam or Zuiderdam

Elizabeth926

:) Getting ready to book Alaska cruise for June 2013 and am looking at R/T Vancouver on either Amsterdam or Zuiderdam...leaning towards Amsterdam. If decide on the Amsterdam is it worth it to get DVS versus the VS for $200 PP? This will be 2nd cruise on HAL to Alaska...2011 on Oosterdam R/T Seattle.

I would absolutely choose Amsterdam over Zuiderdam. I'm not certain what you mean by DVS vs VS, but I'm thinking you mean Deluxe Verandah Suite vs Verandah Suite. If that's the case, the $200 more per person would be a complete no brainer. The Deluxe Verandah Suites are very nice and come with additional amenities.

DW and I have sailed both Amsterdam ( 2 week Alaska) and Zuiderdam ( partial canal cruise) and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Amsterdam is a bit more intimate with a 'smaller ship" feel. The only small drawback I can recall is the Pinnacle grill is an interior space ( no windows)

For Alaska, you want all the views you can get!

Zuiderdam is a bit more spacious. larger public areas,etc.

Food, service,cleanliness were excellent on both.

Dont hesitate to book a LVS, as the perks and service improve dramatically.

We had LVS on both and found no shortfalls on either ship. Having access to a concierge is a Godsend to avoid lines,sell outs, etc and to arrange reservations.

Big plus: Free laundry service

Bon Voyage!

Archived