ITINERARY CHALLENGE 2013: Round Three

Which TWO itineraries are your favourite?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which TWO itineraries are your favourite?

• BAJAN BOUNTY
    • CANARIAN FLAVOURS
    • HELLENIC TREASURES
    • IBERIAN ODYSSEY
    • ITALIAN FLAVOURS

ic-three.png

6735320631_90bf159b30_b.jpg

Hastings, Barbados | © Ben124

Posting this one early as will probably not be near a computer tomorrow. Round 2 is still open for voting until tomorrow afternoon.

Round 3 starts with a Caribbean itinerary from 2001 on The Emerald, taking in islands such as St Maarten, Antigua and St Lucia. Next it's a brand new itinerary for this year, Canarian Flavours, missing out Morocco and instead calling in Fuerteventura and La Gomera. Then we head back to 2009, sailing from Thessaloniki on The Calypso, including a sail through the Corinth Canal onboard the small vessel, and stops in Skiathos and the beautiful Santorini. The fourth itinerary is a 14 night cruise sailing from Southampton in 2005, calling at the best that Spain, Portugal and northern France has to offer. And finally, a brand new itinerary for this year onboard Thomson Majesty, encompassing the eastern and western Mediterranean, Italian Flavours. Sail from Corfu and call at Rome, Naples, Sicily and Malta.

REMEMBER, you are choosing your TWO favourite itineraries!

BAJAN BOUNTY

Caribbean | January to April 2001 | 7 nights | The Emerald

Bridgetown, Barbados - Ship at Sea - Phillipsburg, St Maarten - Road Town, Tortola - St John, Antigua - Roseau, Dominica - Castries, St Lucia - Bridgetown, Barbados

CANARIAN FLAVOURS

Canary Islands, Azores & Morocco | December 2012 to March 2013 | 7 nights | Thomson Majesty

Santa Cruz, Tenerife - Las Palmas, Gran Canaria - Santa Cruz de la Palma, La Palma - Funchal, Madeira - Ship at Sea - Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura - San Sebastian, La Gomera - Santa Cruz, Tenerife

HELLENIC TREASURES

Eastern Mediterranean | May to October 2009 | 7 nights | The Calypso

Thessaloniki, Greece - Cruising through the Corinth Canal - Katakolon, Greece - Rethymnon, Greece - Thira, Santorini - Piraeus (for Athens), Greece - Skiathos Town, Skiathos - Thessaloniki, Greece

IBERIAN ODYSSEY

Western Mediterranean | May & September 2005 | 14 nights | Thomson Celebration

Southampton, UK - Ship at Sea - Bilbao, Spain - Ship at Sea - Lisbon, Portugal - Cadiz, Spain - Motril (for Granada), Spain - Gibraltar, UK - Portimao, Portugal - Ship at Sea - La Coruna, Spain - Ship at Sea - St. Malo, France - Le Havre, France - Southampton, UK

ITALIAN FLAVOURS

Western Mediterranean | May to October 2013 | 7 nights | Thomson Majesty

Corfu Town, Corfu - Ship at Sea - Valletta, Malta - Trapani, Sicily - Civitavecchia (for Rome), Italy - Naples, Italy - Messina, Sicily - Corfu Town, Corfu

Votes will close on Saturday, 26 January. :)

Went for Hellenic Treasures as the Greek islands are always a winner for me, especially if it involves Santorini. Would also like to go to Skiathos and Thessaloniki (that were dropped from an itinerary a few years ago).

Couldn't decide between Italian Flavours and Canarian Flavours, but went for Italy in the end. Rome swung it. I also think it's a really nice new itinerary, something different for this year, just a shame which ship it's on.

Gone for the same two - the Italian one as you say Sailaway as it has some new combinations of ports and some which often only figure on relocations.

Of course you knew I'd choose the Hellenic Treasures, didn't you!;) :D Apart from the obvious 'hook' we'd booked the Thessaloniki and Skiathos itinerary which 'disappeared' between launch and the second brochure release so we ended up cancelling. So that's still on my wish list. Of course they couldn't actually do this itinerary at the moment, since as you point out it was only possible to do this on the Calypso (I believe that was the biggest ship which was able to go through the canal) but certainly the ports are a great mix for me - some old favourites and something new.

Gone for the same two - the Italian one as you say Sailaway as it has some new combinations of ports and some which often only figure on relocations.

Of course you knew I'd choose the Hellenic Treasures, didn't you!;) :D Apart from the obvious 'hook' we'd booked the Thessaloniki and Skiathos itinerary which 'disappeared' between launch and the second brochure release so we ended up cancelling. So that's still on my wish list. Of course they couldn't actually do this itinerary at the moment, since as you point out it was only possible to do this on the Calypso (I believe that was the biggest ship which was able to go through the canal) but certainly the ports are a great mix for me - some old favourites and something new.

Would love to see the return of Thessaloniki and Skiathos, but it seems they're starting to decrease the number of Greek calls recently, most likely because of the uncertain economy and strikes, which I suppose I can understand.

One will definitely be Italian Flavours, but I can't make my mind up about the other so I'll have to come back.

I try to choose the itineraries by thinking which I would go on if I hadn't been to any of the places before.....but sometimes you do make it difficult!

Canarian Flavours as that's the one I am doing in 2 weeks (SNOW PERMITTING :eek::eek::eek:) and Helenic Treasures, once again, to boost my Greek CV which is sadly lacking :(:

Snow? What Snow? Linda :) This was an easy one for once. Italian Flavours and the Greek Isles with no Turkey :D

Berwyn

Snow? What Snow? Linda :) This was an easy one for once. Italian Flavours and the Greek Isles with no Turkey :D

Berwyn

This snow!

28s0zy9.jpg

Taken on Friday (garden plus cat number one!) Thawed a bit now but more forecast today. Haven't you got any? We seem to have a lot more than the North of England. I thought Wales had snow or were you being ironic? :D

We love Turkey! We have had 3 holidays there and enjoyed them all. :)

Lovely wintery pic Linda.

We did get a bit it came down teatime Friday but was gone by midmorning yesterday about half inch deep max.

We're on the coast so rarely get it. It was bad over the Welsh mountains and on the hills and valleys of South Wales.

Berwyn

That's it Linda, all we had.

Is that it? How do I get a big picture on here please? I've tried before with no success

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn, DS showed me this one

http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

It's really easy. Just browse for what you want, pick a size from the resize menu (I usually use website or message boards) upload (copy the security word) then copy and paste it in to cc :)

SNOWING AGAIN!!

Hi Berwyn, DS showed me this one

http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

It's really easy. Just browse for what you want, pick a size from the resize menu (I usually use website or message boards) upload (copy the security word) then copy and paste it in to cc :)

SNOWING AGAIN!!

11ki1oj.jpg

Thanks Linda, let's see how this does. Ooh , it works :-D

It snowed here al day Friday but nothing stuck till that lot at teatime.

Berwyn

Sorry Sailaway! We've gone right off topic! We shall be moderated :eek:;)

Back on topic :) Helenic Treasures is going great guns :)

Yes Sorry Sailaway, it was my fault going on about no snow.:o

Thanks for help Linda :D

I did say earlier that dropping Turkey would make a better cruise

Berwyn

Yes Sorry Sailaway, it was my fault going on about no snow.:o

Thanks for help Linda :D

I did say earlier that dropping Turkey would make a better cruise

Berwyn

I think I've read that you didn't like the hassle you found at some Turkish ports - or have you had other negative experiences of Turkey too, Berwyn? We have loved some of the ports we've visited in Turkey - Marmaris, Bodrum, Istanbul for example. I do think the street traders and bazaars sometimes do give you some hassle but we're always firm and say 'no thanks' and haven't had a problem. And some of the places are truly beautiful and Istanbul so cosmopolitan so far we feel it's been worth putting up with the irritations.

I think I've read that you didn't like the hassle you found at some Turkish ports - or have you had other negative experiences of Turkey too, Berwyn? We have loved some of the ports we've visited in Turkey - Marmaris, Bodrum, Istanbul for example. I do think the street traders and bazaars sometimes do give you some hassle but we're always firm and say 'no thanks' and haven't had a problem. And some of the places are truly beautiful and Istanbul so cosmopolitan so far we feel it's been worth putting up with the irritations.

Hi Kruzseeka, we still go hassle despite saying no and moving on, especially in Kusadasi. They also gave as you walked past the shops because you did not stop to look shouting out rude remarks.

Last time we visited and went to Ephesus the traders outside the exit were not so pushy as previously.

Berwyn

Hi Kruzseeka, we still go hassle despite saying no and moving on, especially in Kusadasi. They also gave as you walked past the shops because you did not stop to look shouting out rude remarks.

Last time we visited and went to Ephesus the traders outside the exit were not so pushy as previously.

Berwyn

Isn't that a shame - really puts visitors off. I thought a few years ago 'they' (local authorities/police?) had tightened up on the bazaar traders re hassling tourists in Kusadasi and that it had made a big difference. Seems as though things have slipped again. About time for another tightening up methinks!

P.S. Last time we were in Kusadasi we just caught a local bus to Ladies Beach - nice and relaxed - and lovely waterfront cafes. Nice low-key and pleasant few hours spent there. If you find yourself there again - though perhaps not from what you've said :D that might be worth considering.

(And for anyone who wants to have a look at souvenirs in Kusadasi - there is a guy who has a shop at the top end of the bazaar as the road bears round to the left and rises quite sharply. He's on the right and has a notice on his steps - 'No hassle' and he's absolutely true to his words. You can go in, pick things up and he never troubles you at all. As a result we bought quite a lot from him - just knick knacks and small pressies (he doesn't have leather goods or things like that) and his approach certainly attracted our custom and that of other Thomson passengers who realised they could look without any pressure. We'd walked past all the other shops not wanting to get into any hassle.)

Isn't that a shame - really puts visitors off. I thought a few years ago 'they' (local authorities/police?) had tightened up on the bazaar traders re hassling tourists in Kusadasi and that it had made a big difference. Seems as though things have slipped again. About time for another tightening up methinks!

P.S. Last time we were in Kusadasi we just caught a local bus to Ladies Beach - nice and relaxed - and lovely waterfront cafes. Nice low-key and pleasant few hours spent there. If you find yourself there again - though perhaps not from what you've said :D that might be worth considering.

(And for anyone who wants to have a look at souvenirs in Kusadasi - there is a guy who has a shop at the top end of the bazaar as the road bears round to the left and rises quite sharply. He's on the right and has a notice on his steps - 'No hassle' and he's absolutely true to his words. You can go in, pick things up and he never troubles you at all. As a result we bought quite a lot from him - just knick knacks and small pressies (he doesn't have leather goods or things like that) and his approach certainly attracted our custom and that of other Thomson passengers who realised they could look without any pressure. We'd walked past all the other shops not wanting to get into any hassle.)

thanks, that's handy to know. We might end up back in one of the ports as most Aegean cruises call in one one or other of the Turkish ports.

Berwyn

The same thing in Egypt! We stayed at a hotel in Sharm el Sheikh. We were bed and breakfast, so some evenings we ate in the hotel and sometimes we went out. Nearly all the restaurants were hassling you to go in, but as we turned the corner we came across one which had a sign "No Hassle" So we went in and they were doing a good trade too. Also in Egypt, El Gouna is a good place to stay as it is fairly new resort and the person who built it said there was to be no hassle.

I have not been to Turkey on a cruise, but I wonder if you do get a different perspective of a place from a few hours as opposed to a land based holiday. Shall I start a new thread on that? :confused:

Got to say i would be happy with any of these Sailaway.

Picked Hellenic Treasures as love Greece but is there a ship small enough to go thrugh the canal now so they could do this itinerary again at some point?

Also picked Bajan Bounty , think im the only one on here who hasnt been to the Caribbean yet ! We were booked to go last Nov on P&O Ventura ( sorry to swear on here) but had to be cancelled due to my husbands work so its still on my to do list and this itinerary looked nice but then i would be happy with any the first time , im very easily pleased ( or so im told ! ) ;);)

Berwyn

I totally agree with you about Kusadasi, Berwyn and that was due to a small drink/ice cream kiosk that conned me into paying far too much. My fault really, but the seller was so polite and charming as he found somewhere for us to sit and gave me his password to use his wi-fi, that I did not think to check his price list. (Later discovered that there wasn't one). When I questioned the price, 2 heavies came so we paid and made a quick exit. Starbucks, just along from there was free!

In Bodrum I was very surprised by the rude remarks, but wondered if they had learned them from English speakers? :eek:

I chose Bajan Bounty because of that wonderful beach photo!

The same thing in Egypt! We stayed at a hotel in Sharm el Sheikh. We were bed and breakfast, so some evenings we ate in the hotel and sometimes we went out. Nearly all the restaurants were hassling you to go in, but as we turned the corner we came across one which had a sign "No Hassle" So we went in and they were doing a good trade too. Also in Egypt, El Gouna is a good place to stay as it is fairly new resort and the person who built it said there was to be no hassle.

I have not been to Turkey on a cruise, but I wonder if you do get a different perspective of a place from a few hours as opposed to a land based holiday. Shall I start a new thread on that? :confused:

Why not, may take our minds off this awful cold weather, and could be very interesting. :rolleyes:

Archived