How to pack for an Alaskan Cruise - any lists?

Kimf

Hello - I will apologize in advance for not doing a search of the site as this has probably been asked before. i just find the searching on this site a little hard sometimes... so I took the lazy way out! :) I find packing for Mexico and warm places easy to do, but am not really sure how to pack for this type of trip. I would love any tips or even a packing list if someone has a great one already put together. I always create a list to check items off as I pack. I will be traveling with kids (11, 13) and my husband and we will be traveling on the NCL Jewell.

Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated to an Alaskan Cruise Newbie! :)

Kim

You are correct there are several people that have posted lists. I found they were good to read--but, then I sat down and made a list for myself. There many variables. What time of year are you going? Are you doing a round trip Seattle or Vancouver? Or are you going one-way and adding on a land tour. For example we were leaving Va in Aug and spending 2 days in Vancouver, a one-way to Seward and 5+ days on land. [and there were no self serve laundry facilities on my cruise]

We took one large suitcase we checked and 2 roll aboards. [one each] When we got to the airport they gate checked the two bags. It was an oversold flight. Yeah!!

Once I made my list [amd I was very conservative in my list] I went back to see what I could leave out. I took one pair of shorts [only used them in Vancouver ] 2 pair capris [used them in Vancouver and first day of cruise] They most used item was a hooded rain jacket.

I even planned what to wear on the plane. [jeans, sneakers, short sleeve shirt and sweat shirt.]

Good luck!

I was on Golden Princess last summer on the Seattle-Alaska round trip. This cruise demographic went more for the REI outdoorsy look. This was not much of a dress up crowd. We didn't get any rain, but I was prepared. For this cruise, pack for layering. It's a cool weather cruise that can rapidly change temperatures.

We are currently planning for our May cruise to Alaska and have read lots of info on this subject. You did not say when you were cruising, but from all I've read, be prepared for cold and rainy at any time.

Layering is the key. You can shed or add as needed. From fleece to sweatshirts to T shirts. Lightweight gloves.

A waterproof shell is essential. You can wear fleece under, if needed. We have lightweight waterproof pants as well, with zip off legs in case we get shorts weather.

Waterproof shoes. We got the sneaker type lightweight hiking shoe.

A small backpack to hold your unused layers.

Waterproof binoculars. We have two 8x42 so we don't have to share. A camera of course. You might want to get one of those waterproof covers for the camera. I saw them on REI for about $6.

I'm really cold natured, so I even bought those little hand warmers you can put inside your gloves and they stay warm for several hours. Those may come in really handy during a long day of standing on deck viewing Glacier Bay.

You are going on NCL so I assume you know there are no mandatory formal nights so you can leave your dressy stuff home unless you really enjoy this.

Enjoy your cruise!

what are your cruise dates?

may/early june and sept will be chillier. if you are from a colder climate i would not take a heavy bulky jacket (but that is just my way of packing.) a lightweight nylon jacket, sweatshirt and a couple long sleeved tops are all i need besides a couple short sleeve tee's. well worn broken in tennis or walking shoes are a must for comfort. have a great time.

We have lightweight waterproof pants as well, with zip off legs in case we get shorts weather.

They also make hiking pants that zip off or cinch up into capris. Nice variety for your wardrobe and changing conditions (and not quite as chilly as shorts)

Archived