Don't use traveler's checks in Costa Maya or Majahaul

Sunny AZ Girl

Let me start this out by saying that we thoroughly enjoyed our day last week in Costa Maya & Majahaul! We spent most of the day relaxing on the beach. We were a family group of 10 & it was the one day we were all together. The beach in Majahaul was very nice and the people nice, also.

That said, we were surprised to find out that Traveler's Checks are not accepted in that part of Mexico as easily as other places. We forgot to cash some traveler's checks before we left the ship as planned and went with not enough cash. When we were in Costa Maya my DD found a pair of sunglasses she wanted and bartered the vendor down from $30 to $15. When I asked if I could cash a Traveler's Check, he said the price would be back to $30. So I paid cash. I asked the bank today if businesses were charged a service charge for them & I was told no, that it is treated as cash. What surprised me is that the shops in Costa Maya are so big and right at the dock I thought they would accept a TC.

Also, when we got to Majahaul we knew to pay cash for massages, trinkets, etc. My DH asked Tapas bar before we ordered anything from them if they accepted Traveler's Checks. They said it would be fine. Only after we spent the day, ordered food and drinks and I had paid my bill (with Traveler's Checks), including a nice tip, did the waiter come back to me and told me that I owed a $10 service charge for the use of Traveler's Checks! Just a heads up. I would go there again, but will bring cash next time. :)

We paid for hair braiding in Majahual with a traveler's check, but they would not take one for massages beside Tapas. It seems they have to go somewhere else to redeem them and vendors that are not well known at the bank sometimes have trouble cashing them.

Concern about stolen checks I presume.

The issue is that there are no banks in Costa Maya to cash TCs and many of the locals do not even know what a TC is. If they do accept it, they have to drive 2 hours into Chetumal to cash the checks. And most of the Mexican banks require you have an account with them. And it takes an act of God to just open a bank account in Mexico.

So in summary. Unless it is a big purchase, it is not worth accepting TCs in Costa Maya. But give it time and the locals will figure out a reasonable solution.

Only after we spent the day, ordered food and drinks and I had paid my bill (with Traveler's Checks), including a nice tip, did the waiter come back to me and told me that I owed a $10 service charge for the use of Traveler's Checks! Just a heads up. I would go there again, but will bring cash next time. :)

Dumb question here, bring $US or Mexican?

Not a dumb question... US$ are readily accepted. Some places will post prices in Pesos and Dollars, others just in dollars. there are a little more than 100 pesos to the dollar.

June

US $$$ happily accepted.

The problem is not only are they not banks... there are no telephone lines so no credit cards etc.

This is why Ivan & David from chacchobenruin.com are still unable to charge a deposit for reservations on their Mayan ruins tour. On they day we went with them... 8 were reserved, my wife & me were the only two to show the rest were intercepted at the terminal & told this small local operation was out of business. Ivan told me that supposedly telephone lines are coming soon & banks will follow.

Part of the charm of this little fishing village is how isolated it is but not for long.

Bring $$$$ & enjoy while you can...

Archived