Balcony handicap cabin Millenium

covey

Has anyone booked a balcony handicap cabin on the Millenium? I am familiar with the non-handicap cabin. If anyone has had a handicap cabin, could you please let me know the difference? :)

See my review on this listing talking about room 6105 on the Infinity which is a sister ship of the Millennium. Hope it helps.

I just checked it out -- thanks. I don't know much about Celebrity and would not have know the Infinity was a sister ship of the Millennium.

How is the bathroom configured? Is the toilet separated from the roll-in shower by a curtain?

We usually sail HAL in a balcony cabin but decided to upgrade ourselves to what they call a "superior suite." It's really not a suite, just a larger room.

The bathroom in the accessible SS was terrible ... when you pull the shower curtain shut, you and the toilet are inside the shower!

This made everything wet, and I was always mopping up the floor and toilet.

DH, who is in a powerchair, found the configuration just plain awful! He does not want to run into that again.

Most TAs can't tell you specifics on bathroom layout, so we were hoping to find someone who has sailed in an HC room on this ship.

Thanks!

When you enter the handicapped bathroom in this room, the sink is on the left as you roll into the room. You can easily roll under the sink. The shower is next to it with a fold down seat, hand held shower head and a shower curtain. On the right of that is the toilet with a fold down bar on one side and a bar on the wall on the other side. My wife and I were in the bathroom together many times and there is plenty of room for 2.

Dan

covey - Do you require a HC stateroom?

I am not handicapped, but was given stateroom 8176 aft at the very last minute. While we would have never taken that stateroom had it not been for the cruiseline asking us to take it, we did enjoy the spaciousness. Plenty of room for a wheelchair.

I have photo's that I can share if anyone is interested, I will try to post them.

Hi Iamthesea,I would love to see your photos of 8176. We have this room booked on the Summit. It would be a big help to know what it really looks like. I could bring over the door shoe bags to store things in the bathroom if needed. Thanks, Connie

Sorry, I just saw your post. The photos are before we had the digital camera, so I will have to scan them. I am setting up a new scanner and will post the photos as soon as I get it all set up.

Here is a review that I found about the stateroom:

THE CABIN:

Our Superior Ocean view, wheelchair accessible, Cabin #8176 with veranda, is located aft and is very spacious (538 sq. ft. including balcony). It has light oak paneling on all walls and is devoid of all decoration except for a signed lithograph. Entering on the left, there is the huge bathroom with one sink, a mirror and two glass shelves on each side, a hair dryer nearby, a double shower with a curtain and shower seat, a commode, several safety rails and towel racks, but no rack near the sink, where you would expect one. There are hooks on the bathroom door with two nice robes provided for use on board.

This is a very large and adequate cabin, but more spartan than other cruise lines: no marble, fancy tiles or mosaics here. Past the bathroom is the queen size bed with a green/beige striped padded headboard (anchored to the wall with a chrome drapery dowel) and matching bed ruffle. Then there is a grey/green love seat and a small glass coffee table. The aqua carpeting has a beige and pink confetti pattern and all three colors are combined in the bedspread and draperies. It makes a nice and restful ambiance.

Entering the cabin on the right is a mirrored wall in the foyer and then a triple wardrobe. The first two doors have wooden hangers and the next door contains the safe and eight drawers -- next there is a console with a TV and the refrigerator with a fully stocked mini bar. Finally, there is a desk/vanity with lighted mirror. The far wall is a double panel sliding glass door to the veranda with the view of the wake of the ship. Very nice!

Usually we book a cabin mid ship, but this huge veranda (approx. 12' x 20', where at least five couples could do the Argentine Tango) tempted us, even though Vincent at this time couldn't dance, but could do the wheelies with his wheelchair. Now, we are glad that we experienced the ship's aft cabin. However, like everything in life, there is always a trade-off. We found that maneuvering a wheelchair from the elevators all the way back was not easy. The one inch door jambs at each firewall door were difficult to "jump" and the corridor is narrow so that at times, when luggage or equipment were there, we had to fold the chair and limp past the obstruction and then reopen the chair. The view from the stern of the ship was wonderful, though, and worth the inconvenience this once. We also noticed that when the ship was going at full speed there was a greater rolling motion and a disturbing low frequency engine noise. We are not sure if this inconvenience was due to the location of our cabin or to a possible problem that the Millennium is having with one of her engines (as the rumor goes). From the form and size of the wake, we could see that the engine on the starboard side was definitely less powerful than the one on port side. Could this have been the cause of the unexpected rolling motion of the ship and the noticeable humming noise of the engine in relatively calm seas? An improvement is expected after the dry dock repairs, scheduled for this ship the first two weeks of April. When the ship was cruising slowly the sound of the wake behind the ship was like that of a mountain stream running through the rocks or down small rapids. This sound was so relaxing and conducive to meditation that Vincent spent long hours lounging on the veranda.

We chose the same cabin #8176 as last year, since it is so spacious (538 sq. ft. including balcony). When entering on the left there is a huge bathroom with safety rails. Then there is a queen bed, two night stands with lamps, a love seat and glass coffee table. On the right there is a mirrored wall and a triple wardrobe: The first two sections have hangers and the next section holds eight drawers and the personal safe. There is a lighted vanity/desk with two more cupboards. The far wall is glassed with a sliding door to the huge veranda with two chairs, a table and two chaise lounges. By far an excellent reason to book the aft cabins is this extraordinary balcony overlooking the ship's wake.

Dear Iamthesea, Thank you so much for the great info on 8176. Our daughter is in a small wheelchair/stroller. She will be easy to bump over the lips in the hall way. She is only 80 pounds.Her chair is only 26 inches wide so hopefully we can get by stuff in the hallways. I will be glad for the roll in shower, 14 days of lifting her into a tub or on the floor of the shower would be a challenge. I guess for us giving up some decor will be well worth it..thanks, Connie

:) We went on the Millie 3 years ago and had a HC cabin with balcony. We had our cabin steward bring a nice padded lounge chair for Al to sleep on during the day. We were treated so well. We knew ahead of time that St. Thomas and other ports were long days so we ordered dinner to be delivered to our cabin. The cabin steward brought us the menu and we ordered the whole meal. We had so much food that we placed the hot dishes on one bed and the cold ones on the opposite one. There is a pull out string in the large shower that you can hang clothes. The toliet is high enough and has railings to make things easier. The times that we did dine, we did not eat in the formal dinning room. We made reservations to eat at the back of the ship, sometimes with our own waiter and staff. We could look out to sea and see the sunset. I loved the wonderful pool that had waves built to roll over you. The salt water pool was a dream. And adult only! Breakfast was refreshing out on the deck, service was excellent.

Every afternoon you could order tea or my case special coffee and pastries. There was always special music, piano, harp, violin, and etc.

This ship is a class act. Only problem we ran into was people took forever to show up to show their documents when we docked at St Thomas. Cabin numbers were called over and over to please come show passports or visas but there was no show. Finally names were called. We docked at around 8:00 am but was not allowed off the ship until everyone had been present. Many people had to change their whole day because of these few people. We finally got off around 11. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

People were very kind and helpful.

Meirah and Al

Houston, Texas

Archived