Wonderful Copenhagen

Hi Danish Viking!

Two years ago, we did a Baltic cruise that ended in Copenhagen, but we spent our entire final day in Copenhagen in Tivoli! This July, we will be doing a Mediterranean cruise but we have an overnight layover in Copenhagen (arriving at 1:25 pm and departing CPH the following day at 12:20 pm)! I know it's not much time, but we are hoping to squeeze in an afternoon and evening in town! Could you recommend a general area for our overnight stay and/or specific hotel(s) that would allow us to stroll Nyhavn, Stroget, and/or perhaps Christianborg Slot? I plan to use taxis to expedite the trip to/from CPH. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Terpnut

Hi Danish Viking!

Two years ago, we did a Baltic cruise that ended in Copenhagen, but we spent our entire final day in Copenhagen in Tivoli! This July, we will be doing a Mediterranean cruise but we have an overnight layover in Copenhagen (arriving at 1:25 pm and departing CPH the following day at 12:20 pm)! I know it's not much time, but we are hoping to squeeze in an afternoon and evening in town! Could you recommend a general area for our overnight stay and/or specific hotel(s) that would allow us to stroll Nyhavn, Stroget, and/or perhaps Christianborg Slot? I plan to use taxis to expedite the trip to/from CPH. Thanks in advance!

Hello Neighbor,

I am the real Terp and got my Econ degree from the U of MD @ College Park back in the day (1990) and it seems like yesterday. We did our med cruise last year to Istanbul, Greece, ... and it was great.

We'll be sailing on the Emeral Princess on May 23rd to the Baltic and have booked our pre-cruise hotel http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/ by the Canal in the popular Nyhavn area. You can take the metro to the Hotel in less than 15 mins for 3 bucks. Danish might have better ideas.

Tony

Edited by cruise_alot123

I added top 20 plus the most requested hotels along the list.

I posted this list of of the best rated hotels in Copenhagen in tripadviser

The hotels near Nyhavn and Kongens Nytorv are located near Kongens Nytorv Metro station where M2 will bring you directly to the airport.

In the other end of central Copenhagen we have the Vesterbro, Tivoli, Town Hall Square area where you can catch a train from the central station instead.

1. Nimb (Tivoli/Central station)

2. Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers (Ørestad, halfway between downtown and the airport)

3. Andersen Hotel Copenhagen (Vesterbro/Central Station)

4. Stay Copenhagen (Islands Brygge)

5. Clarion Collection Hotel Mayfair (Vesterbro/Central Station)

6. Sømandshjemmet Bethel (Nyhavn area)

7. Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden (Vesterbro)

8. Adina Apartment hotels Copenhagen (Søndre Frihavn/Langelinie Pier)

9. Bella Sky Comwell (Ørestad, halfway between downtown and the airport)

10. Axel Hotel Guldsmeden (Vesterbro/Central Station)

11. Copenhagen Marriott hotel (Kalvebod Brygge/Town Hall Square)

12. Best Western Hotel City (Nyhavn area)

13. Savoy Hotel (Vesterbro/Central Station)

14. Copenhagen Admiral Hotel (Nyhavn/Amalienborg)

15. Tivoli Hotel (Kalvebod Brygge)

16. Radisson Blu Royal Hotel (Tivoli/Central Station))

17. Hotel Tiffany (Vesterbro/Central Station)

18. Wakeup Copenhagen (Kalvebod Brygge)

19. Hotel Kong Arthur (Nørreport area)

20. Hotel Alexandra (Tivoli/Town Hall Square)

21. Clarion Collection Hotel Neptun (Nyhavn/Amalienborg)

22. Scandic Palace Hotel (Tivoli/Town Hall Square)

25. First Hotel Sankt Petri (Kongens Have/Nørreport)

32. The Square (Tivoli/Town Hall Square)

39. Imperial Hotel (Vesterport)

42. Absalon Hotel (Vesterbro/Central Station)

48. Hotel Tweentyseven (Town Hall Square/Strøget)

58. First Hotel Kong Frederik(Town Hall Square)

101. Hotel Rye (Østerbro) The last rated hotel

Hi Danish,

Since we are staying at the Hotel Bethel which is # 6 on your hotel list and was wondering how best to spend my 1 and 1/2 day pre-cruise.

My plan is to do the walking tour as much as possible after doing the canal tour near our hotel in the early morning on day 1. We do not care about the museums since we pretty have seen all the museums in Wash. DC for free. We are only interest in sightseeing so my question is what are must see? Would the canal tour takes care all the sightseeing? How far is to walk from the hotel to Tivoli garden? We are not interest in the rides in Tivoli garden so is it worth the visit?

Thanks alot for your help!!

Tony

The canal tour will show you The Little Mermaid, Amalienborg, Christianshavn, Christiansborg, Holmens Kirke (church), Thorvaldsens Museum, Nyhavn among other things.

Things you wont see from the canal tour is Rosenborg Castle, The Round Tower, Tivoli, Strøget, the natioonal museum and the Town Hall.

Then you have to decide if its something you want to see.

In my honest opinion Tivoli is worth it and especially in the evening when the lights are on.

It takes around 25-30 minutes to walk and its probably more cosy to walk along Strøget.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Hotel+Bethel,+Nyhavn&daddr=55.6764902,12.5670395+to:Tivoli,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.675576,12.578702&spn=0.014737,0.038581&sll=55.678673,12.579045&sspn=0.014736,0.038581&geocode=Fc6ZUQMdcB_AACFnIZN9Nd2xCylDz7QvPVNSRjFnIZN9Nd2xCw%3BFUqOUQMd_8G_ACl11IneDVNSRjE83l2uCc5b0w%3BFX6DUQMdFse_ACGwJwu1DQu12Snz6vaAElNSRjGwJwu1DQu12Q&oq=Tivoli&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=15&via=1

Hi,

I was wondering how easy it would be to get taxis at the cruise port to goto the airport? We have a group of 15 + 1 child that's 8 months old, and we would need to catch a 1:30pm flight back to Canada. Is it easy to find taxis at the cruise port? Or are we better of to book airport transport from our cruise line NCL.

Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering how easy it would be to get taxis at the cruise port to goto the airport? We have a group of 15 + 1 child that's 8 months old, and we would need to catch a 1:30pm flight back to Canada. Is it easy to find taxis at the cruise port? Or are we better of to book airport transport from our cruise line NCL.

Thanks!

You will find plenty of taxis at both the port and airport.

Big news.

All of you that are planning to use the 26 to the Freeport or walk to Nordhavn there are some important information after 13th of may.

The main gate to the Freeport near the Kalkbrænderihavnsgade bus stop will close because og a new city development and metro construction (yet again)

The new bus stop you have to use are the next one called Stubbeløbsgade.

Here a new gate is located to enter the Freeport.

I will post the bus timetable for this bus stop when I get on my computer but I think it will just be 1 minute before it would have arrived at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

People who are walking from Nordhavn will have a much easier walk than today.

There is a small gate only for people (no vehicles) that you have to use.

Normally a keycard was required (I think) but it will be open for cruise guests now

The gate is located just when you walk under the railway and cross the big street.

The only problem I see with this is that you have to walk by the construction sites.

I will post maps later on when iget on my computer.

Big news.

All of you that are planning to use the 26 to the Freeport or walk to Nordhavn there are some important information after 13th of may.

The main gate to the Freeport near the Kalkbrænderihavnsgade bus stop will close because og a new city development and metro construction (yet again)

I will post the bus timetable for this bus stop when I get on my computer but I think it will just be 1 minute before it would have arrived at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

Normally a keycard was required (I think) but it will be open for cruise guests now

The gate is located just when you walk under the railway and cross the big street.

The only problem I see with this is that you have to walk by the construction sites.

Thanks for the warning. I guess this won't affect us getting to the ship on the 7th but we will need to catch the bus at a different place when our ship returns on the 16th. Our plan coming back was take 26 to the train station and take the train to the airport. Is there a better option?

Big news.

Thank you SO much for this! We will be there in June and I thought I had timing and location all fixed. I'll await the new info. Thank you!

Edited to say Just found this ( http://www.cmport.com/news-and-media/news/2013/2013-04-30 ) on the Internet.

Edited by SoBaycruiser

Sobaycruisers link is very useful, the maps shows the location of the gates.

Actually the walk to the bus stop will be same as before

http://map.krak.dk/m/n2JF9

The timetable from Stubbeløbsgade.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000001712

Where does the Emeral Princess dock in CPH on May 23rd? Anybody knows?

My cruise contract is not showing at what pier?

Thanks!

The Emerald will be at Sundkaj at the Freeport Terminal (Frihamnen). You will be dealing with this new entrance that has been the topic of discussion today.

Others can check their pier here: http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/cruise-list-2013

Sobaycruisers link is very useful, the maps shows the location of the gates.

Actually the walk to the bus stop will be same as before

http://map.krak.dk/m/n2JF9

The timetable from Stubbeløbsgade.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000001712

Danish Viking,

I didn't understand "Actually the walk to the bus stop will be same as before" because we were going to a different bus stop, right?

Thanks for the new walking route. It doesn't look like there is any bus kiosk there to mark it. In fact when I went to google earth, it shows a lot of construction on the west side of the street...which I assume we stand on that side of the road for buses going into town. Hopefully the picture is old because it looks like a mess.

Thanks again for alerting us to this.

I seem to remember you mentioning one time that not all of the 26 buses go to Freeport but I can't find it now. We will be getting on at the train station. What do we need to look for on the bus to make sure we are on the right one? Thanks. We leave tomorrow!

If you by train station mean the central station its the departures at xx:07, xx:27 and xx:47. +/- 2 minutes.

The destination should read Færgehavn Nord or UNICEF.

Remember that bus 26 uses the bus stop at Vesterbrogade and not the one outside Tivoli or at the bridge over the platform.

Edited by Danish viking

Danish Viking,

I didn't understand "Actually the walk to the bus stop will be same as before" because we were going to a different bus stop, right?

Thanks for the new walking route. It doesn't look like there is any bus kiosk there to mark it. In fact when I went to google earth, it shows a lot of construction on the west side of the street...which I assume we stand on that side of the road for buses going into town. Hopefully the picture is old because it looks like a mess.

Thanks again for alerting us to this.

I mean that the walking distance is almost the same, its just a matter of turning left or right :D

There would be a message on the Movia (public transportation authority) website if any bus stops are closed due to construction but there was none.

I also think the pictures areold because the reconstruction of the road was done the last time I stopped by.

But typically for Denmark they just start to dig up the road again just after the roadwork was finished because they have to build a pipeline for fresh water supplys for the new cruise terminal. :o

Am I correct that bus #26 to the Freeport Terminal DOES NOT operate on Saturdays or Sundays?? We are on Vision of the Seas, departing from there on Saturday, June 8. Any thought on taxi fare from Hotel Christian IV to the port?

Danish Viking,

Happy Birthday!!!

You had noted on a previous post (#547) in answer to a question that your birthday was the 5th of May and predicted fabulous weather in your city!!

I hope it was so and you had a great day! Thank YOU again for all the help you provide to all of us in planning our day(s) in Copenhagen.

Melissa

Edited by JeffandMelissa
to put post number