Disappointed Belize Traveller - Carnival

cruiseman34

My senior in high school wanted to take a cruise with the family to Belize as her graduation gift...although very expensive, I booked it and also talked another family into the trip....I was notifed a couple of weeks ago that Belize was being cancelled as one of our destination ports because of "port congestion". They let me know how excited I should be that they had replaced the port with Costa Maya and given us an extra hour in Cozumel.....when I contacted them today, they said they had chosen not to give anything to the passengers for this and I should "just accept it".

Thanks Carnival from my Senior '13!

Sorry, that Belize will not be one of your port of calls now. However, it is in your passenger contract that CCL can change the itinerary/ports of call at their discretion at any given time. Even while you are on the ship...mainly in that case because of avoiding 'dangerous' weather. So you really shouldn't have expected any type or reimbursement from CCL.

Again, sorry you will not be able to go to Belize.:(

Sure she can go to Belize, book a flight and spend a week there. I'm always amazed that folks who say the trip was ruined because there was this one place they wanted to go and that was the point of booking a cruise. Things happen and like golfadj says, it's not that great a port what with tendering and long drives to get to any of the sites that folks want to see. The last two times Belize the ship stopped there, we didn't get off.

Sure she can go to Belize, book a flight and spend a week there. I'm always amazed that folks who say the trip was ruined because there was this one place they wanted to go and that was the point of booking a cruise. Things happen and like golfadj says, it's not that great a port what with tendering and long drives to get to any of the sites that folks want to see. The last two times Belize the ship stopped there, we didn't get off.

We loved Belize. Some people do go on cruises based on the ports. That's usually the deciding factor for us. it's kind of like a test drive for us in that if we like the place we may go back and spend a week there and if we don't like it we've only spent 1 day there so that's all we're out. Hopefully the OP has a good time in Costa Maya anyways and know that all cruise lines change ports at certain times.

belize is my least favorite of all the Western Caribbean ports. Most people will also tell you that due to crime, you need to book a ship excusrion in Belize as you really don't want to go outside the port area on your own.

I'm sorry to hear you will not be making Belize. I do understand how important this is to your senior. I am taking my daughter who is a senior this year as well on a cruise for graduation. We are going over spring break and we have a group of 12 going all mothers and daughters. We would be dissapointed if our ports changed but don't let it ruin your trip. This is going to be such a great time for you and your senior. I am looking so forward to spending that time with her before she leaves for school and nothing could spoil it for us.

59 days till we sail............:D

belize is my least favorite of all the Western Caribbean ports. Most people will also tell you that due to crime, you need to book a ship excusrion in Belize as you really don't want to go outside the port area on your own.

Couldn't disagree more. Belize is one of my favorite ports of call. The culture, landscape, and diversity of the country was refreshing and unexpected. Not your typical, sterile cruise port whatsoever. Did not book an excursion through the ship but through a private company (Vitalino Reyes). He was one of the best guides we've ever had.

I agree with Stu. Belize is great if you are doing cave tubing. That was awesome. But otherwise, not worth being upset about. Costa Maya, however, was beautiful. Venture out of the port area. Majahual beach was ridiculously beautiful and you could see the ship from the beach. Cheap kayak, jet ski rentals, massage on the beach for like $20.

Bottom line is, make the best of it. You will have an awesome time if you just let the little stuff go.

Sorry about the disappointment. We have been to Belize twice in the past. If you like an hour drive to do anything in the jungle, then you are missing out. The vendors are fairly aggressive in the port. We will be there again in (3) weeks and plan on staying on the ship. We may take a quick tender ride for a cheap drink and something for the DGD. We have been to Costa Maya once and would love to go back. We spent a wonderful day on a white sand beach laying in the sun and having more than enough to drink. We did a private beach excursion. We had one vendor stop buy to push his wares. DW bought a nice little necklace. Barganing is much more fun when you've had a few drinks. Hope this gives you a different point of view. What ever you do, enjoy your cruise. Neither you or your Senior will have to cook, clean or pick up for that entire week.

Mike

I agree with Stu. Belize is great if you are doing cave tubing. That was awesome. But otherwise, not worth being upset about. Costa Maya, however, was beautiful. Venture out of the port area. Majahual beach was ridiculously beautiful and you could see the ship from the beach. Cheap kayak, jet ski rentals, massage on the beach for like $20.

Bottom line is, make the best of it. You will have an awesome time if you just let the little stuff go.

Went to Costa Maya for first time on last cruise and unfortunately had a miserable rainy day. It happens so just have to make the best of it.

Costa Maya was one of our ports on a previous family cruise. Our high school aged teens said it was the best of the four ports, including Belize. Tropicante (search for it on the Web) at Mahahual, a short taxi ride from the tourist area at the pier, is where we went to a really great beach. We reserved loungers before we sailed and there is great food, drink, massages, etc. Search the following thread for Steve Uhl: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31669402&highlight=steve+uhl#post31669402 and you can get more info.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

I didn't get the impression that the OP felt her trip was ruined, only that she was disappointed. I can completely understand. You choose a cruise based on itinerary. Yes, things can change but it doesn't make it less of a disappointment.

We have heard rumors that our Feb sailing on the Legend has had Belize replaced with Costa Maya. We don't really care as we've been to both but given a choice would have preferred to go to Belize. What we do have an issue with is that we have not been notified of the change and if I go into my account it still says we are going to Belize. If they have to change ports, so be it, but let us know. At this point we feel that Carnival is lacking in honesty and integrity if they are still selling the cruise as a stop in Belize and those of us who make independent tour arrangements can't do so until it changes officially on our itinerary. I've called Carnival twice and both times was told they changed it. If they did, let us know and change the itinerary for people still deciding whether or not to book that cruise.

My senior in high school wanted to take a cruise with the family to Belize as her graduation gift...although very expensive, I booked it and also talked another family into the trip....I was notifed a couple of weeks ago that Belize was being cancelled as one of our destination ports because of "port congestion". They let me know how excited I should be that they had replaced the port with Costa Maya and given us an extra hour in Cozumel.....when I contacted them today, they said they had chosen not to give anything to the passengers for this and I should "just accept it".

Thanks Carnival from my Senior '13!

Belize is just OK. You really have no choice but to accept it, unless you can cancel and get your money back. Enjoy the ports you have and book something great. If I had to put ports in order of favorite to least favorite, Belize would certainly be very near the bottom.

What other ports are you visiting? If you are going to Roatan, I suggest ziplining with South Shore Canopy, Victor Bodden's monkies, and snorkeling right off the beach. In Cozumel, I love to hang out at the beach but my son thought the Royal Dolphin Swim was the best thing he had ever done on any vacation. I can't suggest anything in Costa Maya since we were unable to dock.

I understand the disappointment in losing a port, but we loved Costa Maya. We did a tour with David and Ivan to Chacchoben, including a visit to the ruins and lunch with a Mayan family in the modern-day village. Absolutely an unforgettable experience.

They let me know how excited I should be that they had replaced the port with Costa Maya and given us an extra hour in Cozumel
And they are correct. Belize is a sewer.

.....when I contacted them today, they said they had chosen not to give anything to the passengers for this and I should "just accept it".

Why do you think you are entitled to anything? :confused: The cruise line can change ports for any reason, or no reason at all. Read your ticket contract.

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are disappointed. When you look forward to a specific port, it is unfortunate when you have to miss it.

Due to the shallow water, and the reefs, ships have to anchor quite far out in Belize. Approximately 5 miles? Tender rides take quite a while. I understand that other ship lines have started stopping at Belize. There are only so many tenders, and with the extra ships, it takes forever to empty a ship of passengers.

Sorry about the disappointment. We have been to Belize twice in the past. If you like an hour drive to do anything in the jungle, then you are missing out. The vendors are fairly aggressive in the port. We will be there again in (3) weeks and plan on staying on the ship. We may take a quick tender ride for a cheap drink and something for the DGD. We have been to Costa Maya once and would love to go back. We spent a wonderful day on a white sand beach laying in the sun and having more than enough to drink. We did a private beach excursion. We had one vendor stop buy to push his wares. DW bought a nice little necklace. Barganing is much more fun when you've had a few drinks. Hope this gives you a different point of view. What ever you do, enjoy your cruise. Neither you or your Senior will have to cook, clean or pick up for that entire week.

Mike

Belize is a fine port. So is Costa Maya.

On a side note----hey ffmikey, does your name mean Free Flight?

Well, hooray for you...but you have been there multiple times,correct? What "amazes" you about people booking a vacation to a dreamed about location???? Just because you have cruised and can continue to cruise many times, not all folks are able. Have some compassion....it is not about CCL's contract, or rights, it is about having some empathy for those whose dreams are being squashed....period!

Belize is a beautiful country. It is a horrible cruise port. There is nothing at the port itself except for some overpriced shops. Cave tubing is fun, but it is far from the ship. It's like a 90 minute drive each way. Snorkeling isn't bad, but nothing special. Cozumel has better snorkeling. In fact, DH and I are probably just going to stay on the ship in Belize on our upcoming cruise.

I know your daughter is disappointed, but that is the chance you take when booking a cruise. Ports change due to weather, strikes, over crowding, civil unrest, mechanical issues with the ship, etc. I would say about 25% of the cruises I have been on in my life has had a port change for one reason or another. At least you know about it in advanced. All my itineraries changed during my cruise.

I understand that some people don't like Belize. I've never been there, but I definitely would love to go there, and I'm not going to let a few people on CC dampen wanting to go there.

Keep in mind that Belize was listed by some sources as a "hot destination" in 2012--you can make up your own mind what "hot destination" means and whether or not you agree with that assessment. It is also an up and coming tourist destination, with more and more people heading there....whether by cruise ship or for land vacations.

Just because some don't like Belize, well, others do. Everyone is welcome to either their opinion regarding whether Belize is worth going to or not, or whether they would consider it to be a dream destination. Maybe for some, it may be a dream destination to go there, and once they get there decide that it was more hype than anything else and that it isn't for them.

But I do think that it is up to each person to decide for themselves. What one person may look at as a "sewer" or nothing much could be the most fabulous vacation for someone else--even to two different people doing exactly the same sorts of activities.

Archived