NCL Gem or Carnival Miracle

MissKathy107

I too have cruised both. I did Miracle for 8 nights in July 2011' date=' and the Gem for 7 nights in August 2012. We (the DH & I) loved both. I agree the food is better on the Gem, but that's in the specialty restaurants. I enjoyed the entertainment on both and the cruise director on the Miracle was hysterical (Malcolm) I never saw the cruise director on the Gem..only heard his voice. ALL the activities we did had an "assistant" director there.

Something I would consider....Great Stirrup Cay vs Half Moon Cay. HANDS DOWN Half Moon Cay was better. The cabanas were well stocked and comfortable..much better than GSC. The beach on HMC was like a soft carpet and gorgeous while the beach at GSC was very very rocky.

Enjoy wherever you choose!! I would take the extra day with the better beach and $250 less...but that's me. Cruise food is comparable IMHO[/quote']

Thanks! The NCL Gem goes to San Juan Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, Netherlands Antilles, St Thomas USVI, and Samana Dominican Republic. Carnival Miracle is going to Grand Turks, San Juan Puerto Rico, St Thomas USVI, and Tortola BVI. I'm sure they're all amazing.

I've only been to San Juan, St Thomas and Philipsburg Sint Maarten...

This is so hard to decide. :) I'm so indecisive. :confused:

Being really indecisive myself, I understand what a tough choice it is. You can't go wrong with either one, but I think I would agree with Mama's looking good and go for the extra day. I've sailed the Miracle twice and have been on the Jewel but not the Gem, and loved both ships. Both itineraries you mentioned are wonderful. HMC is absolutely gorgeous and would be my choice hands down over GSC as well. Grand Turk is a stress-free, relaxing day. The beach, cruise center and Margaritaville are right there as you walk off the ship. Tortola is a pretty and interesting island, though IMO you really need to plan an excursion there. Carnival & NCL each have their differences and advantages. I know you will have a fabulous cruise no matter which one you choose, but please let us know what you decide.

Do you prefer sailing from NY? The Miracle is going to be leaving very soon, the Gem should be around for a while.

Yes I'll be leaving from NY. It's either the 10 day Miracle departing March 6, 2013 or the 9 day Gem departing March 4, 2013. That's another issue, I'll probably never see the Miracle again; and you're right about the Gem bring around for a while.

My problem is that I'm trying to find the best "romantic" cruise since I'll be traveling with my long distance boyfriend. This trip will determine the outcome of our future together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being really indecisive myself, I understand what a tough choice it is. You can't go wrong with either one, but I think I would agree with Mama's looking good and go for the extra day. I've sailed the Miracle twice and have been on the Jewel but not the Gem, and loved both ships. Both itineraries you mentioned are wonderful. HMC is absolutely gorgeous and would be my choice hands down over GSC as well. Grand Turk is a stress-free, relaxing day. The beach, cruise center and Margaritaville are right there as you walk off the ship. Tortola is a pretty and interesting island, though IMO you really need to plan an excursion there. Carnival & NCL each have their differences and advantages. I know you will have a fabulous cruise no matter which one you choose, but please let us know what you decide.

True, GSC was a waste of time during my second Jewel trip in 2012. The first time I sailed the Jewel in 2010, we skipped that island and went straight to Nassau for an extra night... What a bonus!

My problem is that I'm trying to find the best "romantic" cruise since I'll be traveling with my long distance boyfriend. This trip will determine the outcome of our future together.

The Miracle has a cool "adults only" area in the back with some nice two seater loungers. You have to get up early to snag a spot, but it would be nice for a sea day to relax back there.

On the Gem it would be easier to get tables for two for dinner. And they don't have the waiters dancing at dinner, with the maitre d wearing silly light-up LED glasses.

Both ships have a nice promenade deck for strolls to look at sunsets and the stars. The Gem is full wrap around, on the Miracle you need to go inside at the front, but that is nice too.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, both are great ships.

Let me preface this with the information that we were on the Miracle quite a few years ago so it may have changed. I think I'm in the minority with my opinion on the Miracle because it always gets stellar reviews. I found it to be so incredibly ugly and tacky in design that I would never be interested in sailing it again. I had read so much about the wonderful sevice but that was a disappointment too. Any cruise is a good one, and we had a wonderful cruise, and we choose more for itinerary than ship; however, in this instance I would pass on the Miracle. Even with the price difference and extra day the Miracle offers, I would do the Gem.

1. Sinan is the best cruise director in the NCL fleet. I never saw any one that could be that funny and high energy almost 24 hours a day. And he is very friendly.

2. The nightly shows are entertainment par excellence. Better than what Carnival puts on.

3. The 24 hour cafe serves more variety of food than what Carnival does. The only food that Carnival serves 24 hours is pizza. Try the chicken wings at the Gem's 24 hour cafe--they are great

4. The staff on the Gem are friendly, cooperative and helpful. Better than Carnival.

5. Free style dining on NCL is the best. You eat where you want when you want. The fixed time for dinner on Carnival is obsolete and plainly insulting to an intelligent adult.

6. The Gem is a well maintained, clean ship.

I am going back to the Gem for the 2-13-2013 9 day cruise to the Carribbean.

Edited by Richpontone

The Miracle is a somewhat nice ship. I went on it last summer(august). The adult section was added early last year when it was dry-docked. Pretty sweet spot at night with the "bubbles" as we called them. Malcom was a fine director.

In wise of of the ship being crazy at night, not so much. At least on the upper decks it wasn't. You will have a fun time however. It is also a smaller ship, around 2,000 people on board.

The GEM is a little bit bigger with that free style twist. Alot more options are available on this ship it seems. I have not sailed on it, just seen in person.

Comes down to preference of the cruise line. Interesting the GEM cost a lot more money to produce the ship.

Edited by DiehardFF

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don't know my story, I have been going back and forth trying to figure out which cruise would better suit me and my "long distance beau" from Europe. I first met him in June 2012 and the last time I saw him was in October 2012. We got to know each other well through daily texting and Skype; but as far as getting to know each other in person, we've only seen each other a handful of times. I didn't want to choose a cruise based merely on value. I wanted to find a cruise that would make us fall in love, instead of wishing to throw each other off the balcony! :eek: He will be flying into NY March 3, 2013 and staying until March 20, 2013, so the only two choices that we had in mind were the 9 day NCL Gem or the 10 day Carnival Miracle both leaving from NY.

So a BIG THANK YOU for all who has helped me make this decision.

The winner is..... (drumroll please!) :D

9 DAY NCL GEM!!!

Here are the reasons why:

- 6 specialty restaurants to choose from and I don't mind paying for a nice romantic meal and having options.

- I have been price watching. Carnival's cost is a bit cheaper overall and better value, but I got romantic AFT balcony for a good price on the NCL Gem.

- The Gem is sailing to my favorite island, Sint Maarten. They have the BEST lobster thermidor at Pineapple Pete's. Also, my beau is from Holland, so I'm sure he will enjoy being there and seeing their Dutch culture. Did I mention his name is also Maarten? :p

So, there you go! Great price for an aft facing room, romantic restaurants and favorable ports of call. :) I hope I made the right decision. Let's hope we still don't throw each other off the balcony especially because we'll be in the far end of the ship! :eek:

For those who don't know my story, I have been going back and forth trying to figure out which cruise would better suit me and my "long distance beau" from Europe. I first met him in June 2012 and the last time I saw him was in October 2012. We got to know each other well through daily texting and Skype; but as far as getting to know each other in person, we've only seen each other a handful of times. I didn't want to choose a cruise based merely on value. I wanted to find a cruise that would make us fall in love, instead of wishing to throw each other off the balcony! :eek: He will be flying into NY March 3, 2013 and staying until March 20, 2013, so the only two choices that we had in mind were the 9 day NCL Gem or the 10 day Carnival Miracle both leaving from NY.

So a BIG THANK YOU for all who has helped me make this decision.

The winner is..... (drumroll please!) :D

9 DAY NCL GEM!!!

Here are the reasons why:

- 6 specialty restaurants to choose from and I don't mind paying for a nice romantic meal and having options.

- I have been price watching. Carnival's cost is a bit cheaper overall and better value, but I got romantic AFT balcony for a good price on the NCL Gem.

- The Gem is sailing to my favorite island, Sint Maarten. They have the BEST lobster thermidor at Pineapple Pete's. Also, my beau is from Holland, so I'm sure he will enjoy being there and seeing their Dutch culture. Did I mention his name is also Maarten? :p

So, there you go! Great price for an aft facing room, romantic restaurants and favorable ports of call. :) I hope I made the right decision. Let's hope we still don't throw each other off the balcony especially because we'll be in the far end of the ship! :eek:

Congratulations on your decision! Be sure to come back and update us on how it went. And if you have questions, between now and departure, ask away!

If you're not booking NCL direct, there are OBC or Free Grats being offered which will close the cost gap.

Funny thing. A year ago, I booked a AFT balcony on the Jewel. My first cruise. Was more $$$ but you know what, a year later it's all but forgotten. That is, except for the pictures and memories. ;)

The biggest difference I see is 9 days vs 10. Guess it depends on whether or not you've been to these places before or not. About day 9, I'd probably be ready to get home. 7 days for me was plenty.

I ended up booking the last aft balcony available on the Gem! :) thanks for the tip!

You'll love it. Enjoy!

Not the best picture but views like this are easy to get used to.

34r8xt0.jpg

Wow, this really put a smile on my face :)

I was thinking of booking my regular midship mini suite but this was priced the same, so I guess I won't be missing those extra square feet in the room. :D I'll be on my balcony enjoying that spectacular view.

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty nervous. I'm trying to weigh in all the factors... :confused:

Hi

The Gem sails on the 4th March. I know we are on it! lol

Never been on NCL before been on 8 other cruises never on Carnival but do not fancy carnival at all.

Hi

The Gem sails on the 4th March. I know we are on it! lol

Never been on NCL before been on 8 other cruises never on Carnival but do not fancy carnival at all.

I am a fan of NCL but I cheated. I just got off Carnival Sensation last month from Florida and they just didn't have enough restaurants for my liking. It was like going to an all inclusive resort and eating in one gloomy restaurant every night with bad lighting. Call me spoiled, but I love variety! I'm sure the other ship, Carnival Miracle, sailing out of NYC Mar 6 will be fun too, but I don't think I want to take that risk.

I think I made the right choice with NCL.

Hope to see you on board!

Hi fellow cruisers! I'm planning to book Carnival Miracle March 6, 2013 or the NCL Gem March 3, 2013 leaving NY... I still can't make up my mind!

I just came back yesterday from Florida and was on the Carnival Sensation. It was such an old ship with outdated decor and stinking old carpets. The food was top notch though. I know the Miracle is a newer ship but I'm still having my doubts about cruising with Carnival...

I cruised twice on NCL Jewel which I hear is very similar to the NCL Gem. I had a wonderful time both times I cruised.

Currently, the balcony on the Miracle is $250 cheaper than the balcony room on the Gem. Also, the Miracle gives you an extra day compared to 9 days on the Gem.

I don't know which one to book!!! Too many pros and cons for both ships!!! Can anyone help me?

I've been on both ships and in my opinion there is no comparison. The Miracle is a good ship, but the Gem is head and shoulders above it. The Gem is even much better than Jewell, especially the design of the Garden Cafe and The Great Outdoors.

I'm sure you will have a good time on either one, but it's a personal decision whether a little more upscale is worth the extra dollars. Here's a thread just down the page that may help you decide if NCL is worth more money than Carnival...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1785574

Next, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Is the balcony cabin on the Gem a regular balcony or a Mini-Suite? There is a big difference. Below is a link to Photobucket and the pictures I took of the Gem Mini-Suite...

http://s158.beta.photobucket.com/user/CraneLegs/library/