super bowl vs elegant night

hlb76

We are setting sail Saturday Feb 2 and the Super Bowl is Sunday. I know traditionally elegant night is the first full day which would make it Sun. Think they will make a schedule change due to the big game?

We have sailed during the last 2 Super Bowls but it has never conflicted with elegant night. The ship has always made the game a fun event. Hoping that will go for this year as well.

We will choose the game over diner even though I will hate to miss lobster and prime rib.... I just hate not to pack proper clothes if they do switch it. On the other hand would be nice to ditch the gown and suits if we don't need them.

We are setting sail Saturday Feb 2 and the Super Bowl is Sunday. I know traditionally elegant night is the first full day which would make it Sun. Think they will make a schedule change due to the big game?

We have sailed during the last 2 Super Bowls but it has never conflicted with elegant night. The ship has always made the game a fun event. Hoping that will go for this year as well.

We will choose the game over diner even though I will hate to miss lobster and prime rib.... I just hate not to pack proper clothes if they do switch it. On the other hand would be nice to ditch the gown and suits if we don't need them.

Some ships have already published - via John Heald and facebook - that elegant night has been moved. For us on the Breeze it will be Monday - not Sunday - due to the Super Bowl.

Here is a copy of the post from Heald's facebook page:

John Heald

January 16

Carnival Breeze, Carnival Miracle and Carnival Fascination will change their elegant nights to accomodate the showing of the Super Bowl with the ships moving them to the next sea day. If any other ships do the same I will let you know. cheers

I will keep looking to see if there is an update for the Ecstasy!

Thanks.... I think they would be looking into moving things but you never know. To me its a no brainer. But I know not everyone feels like me. They had it figured out on Spirit a few years back they had football backdrops and the dancers dressed as cheerleaders. Plus all the other fun things.

I am not a fan of football (dont understand it and my husband gets mad when I ask a bunch of questions :p )

I would much rather go to elegant night, but I am sure the ships will throw one heck of a Super Bowl party! Wonder if they will have tailgating food? Now I might be willing to skip elegant night for some tailgating foods..lol.

We go on a Superbowl cruise this year it is on the Liberty. They always change our ships elegant night to Monday which is perfect because its a sea day. Yes there will be tailgating foods and they show the game on the seaside theaters

there is no need to pack suits and gowns even for elegant night unless that's what you want to do for pictures or something like that.

Bill

I have never sailed a ship with a sea side theatre for the Super Bowl but we did watch the Brett Farve choke the Vikings play-off game a few years back out side. It was FUN!

The Super Bowl has been played in the main theatre on the ship we have sailed. They set up snack buffet, have bucket of beer specails, give out prizes etc.

Spirit had games played during time outs and such. They Even had a specail living room set up where you could win a chance to sit there for a quater and drink FREE. They also had the dancers dressed up as Cheerleaders and special backdrops for photos. It was a hell of a time!

Elation just did a OK job. Excited to see what this year will bring!

Once we sailed and the Univ. of Florida was in a championship game. I'm not into football but my daughter was a student there and knew Tebow and some of the other players. We were all in the crowded sports bar with 2 factions hollering. We sailed out of Florida and lots of folks were from Florida. Near the end the other team (?) through the ball and I yelled "interception!" and it was! UF won.

It was really a great time and everyone had so much fun. I can imagine the Super Bowl!

We sailed on Superbowl once and the elegant night was not changed. Since we weren't big football fans.. we ate in the dining room and it was not crowded at all... in fact.. it was pretty empty. DH ate his lobster. Don't remember which ship... but... we sailed out of New Orleans.

My wife is a bigger sports fan than I. She watches Sportscenter from morning until night. Baseball season is the worst. Even though we're diehard Yankee fans, she'll even watch the Red Sox. How lucky can you get? She pushed hard to get the playoffs televised on our recent HAL cruise. Now, when we were on the QM2, we had to suffer with this big cricket tournament. Even my wife couldn't follow it but it was everywhere. Go Ravens!!!!!!

We sailed on Superbowl once and the elegant night was not changed. Since we weren't big football fans.. we ate in the dining room and it was not crowded at all... in fact.. it was pretty empty. DH ate his lobster. Don't remember which ship... but... we sailed out of New Orleans.

Huh...you have to wonder who thought that was a good idea.... :cool:

Thankfully - since we usually cruise the first week of February - it's always been changed on the ships we've sailed and we've never been faced with the "Lobster versus Football" decision! :eek: ;)

I remember the Triumph threw one heck of a Super Bowl bash - lots of fun! Activities, snacks and football stuff all day....with Elegant night moved until Monday. :D

This is what I hope happens too. Sadly it is our Freeport say which is 8-5 in port. Wish it was Nassua day which is 7-2 in port. But we will make due and decide how early we need to be back or just stay on the ship depending on what the Fun Times show!

This is what I hope happens too. Sadly it is our Freeport say which is 8-5 in port. Wish it was Nassua day which is 7-2 in port. But we will make due and decide how early we need to be back or just stay on the ship depending on what the Fun Times show!

The game doesn't start until 6:30 eastern time so you will already be back onboard. You may want to skip dinner in the MDR and enjoy the football snacks usually provided at the various venues or grab a spot on the Lido deck and enjoy the burgers, dogs and pizza.

We'll be sailing on the Liberty during the Super Bowl and pretty excited to see what they have planned. We're not really cheering for either team in the game this year, but excited to join in on the celebration.

We'll probably head to dinner in the MDR and then go up to the Lido deck afterwards. We'll miss some of the game, but we'll get the best of both worlds. :-)

We already plan to miss dinner and watch the game. I will be bummed to miss Lobsta and prime rib but I gotta see those commericals!

I am not cheering for either team. My son is a PATS fan so his heart is still broken but I was secretly hoping they would be out. Last year when they lost it put a wrench the rest of our cruise he was so upset and hard to deal with, luckily there was only 1 day left. Sailing from NOLA it was fun as Manning had a huge following on the ship!

As a Vikes fan seeing Moss get a ring would not be the worse thing ever.

We have taken three Carnival cruises and one NCL cruise during the Superbowl. We enjoyed each one. However, none of them showed the USA feed with the commercials. The feed has been from ESPN Deportes with Spanish Language commercials.

Our 2 previous cruises have been all in English one sailed from Nola and one from San Diego. Lets hope it's the same from Fla

Ours were:

Conquest from NOLA 2003

Legend from Ft. Lauderdale 2005

Conquest from Galveston 2007

NCL Gem from New York City 2009

The broadcast is in English but the commercials were not the standard commercials, they were commercials geared for Central America/Caribbean viewers. Almost all of the commercials were in Spanish. My suspicion is that the video feed has an English language sub-channel but most of the commercials that were used do not.

Archived