WINE TASTING? Loire Valley

whtdog

Good evening everyone! We are heading to Paris in May, Part of our trip will be spent in Ambois at a 17th century chateau... We are excited;)

Would anyone have information on great vinyards in the area with lunch and wine tastings? We will have a van and a designated driver.

THANK YOU!

Sunny

Good evening everyone! We are heading to Paris in May, Part of our trip will be spent in Ambois at a 17th century chateau... We are excited;)

Would anyone have information on great vinyards in the area with lunch and wine tastings? We will have a van and a designated driver.

THANK YOU!

Sunny

Hi Sunny!

I am curious on how you will be getting to Ambois from Paris?? We are also taking a cruise in May and thinking of visiting the Loire Valley before heading to Barcelona. Any advice on logistics would be appreciated:)

Ali

THANK YOU!

Sunny

I have been to France on a few wine trips as DH used to be a collector,but not to the Loire Vally for wine. Have been all through there just not for wine.I would check out wine tours on Google as they have the most up to date info there as far as I can see.Also, you may want to check out the French Tourist info in the region.

Hi Sunny!

I am curious on how you will be getting to Ambois from Paris?? We are also taking a cruise in May and thinking of visiting the Loire Valley before heading to Barcelona. Any advice on logistics would be appreciated:)

Ali

I arranged to pick up a 9 passenger van in Paris to use while we are in France. Very expensive but for us it is convenient and worth it. We have 3 nights in Amboise. There is easy access via train to Tours then Amboise. If we did not have the van that would be my choice.

Sunny

Good evening everyone! We are heading to Paris in May, Part of our trip will be spent in Ambois at a 17th century chateau... We are excited;) Would anyone have information on great vinyards in the area with lunch and wine tastings? We will have a van and a designated driver. THANK YOU! Sunny

For our close, almost next-door "neighbor" in Plain City, here's a hearty "HI!" on a snowy Central Ohio morning. Yes, there are lots of wonderful options in the great and charming Loire Valley. There are wine options in the area, but I might caution that most are not like the large Napa Valley tasting operations and/or almost Disney-like for their productions/set-ups. Most are just small, family operations. Also, many of the tasting options are in small village stores. What type of wine tastings were you seeking and/or expecting?

We have done lots in this area. I can send you much, much more info and background. Let me know your e-mail and I can send more, answer other questions, etc. Below are just a few notes on this area and a couple of my visuals to get you excited about these great options here. I would also offer a little caution about getting your van in Paris and driving out from that large and very congested city with its sprawling suburbs. Traffic and congestion can be challenging there. It's is all possible, but it might be easier, more time-efficient and more enjoyable to take the one-hour TGV high-speed train out from central Paris to the suburban Tours station and get your rental vehicle or vehicles there. Considered that option and the trade-offs from driving within Paris?

Reactions and added questions?

HERE'S SOME BACKGROUND ON THE WONDERFUL LOIRE VALLEY:

This is the major chateau and castle country southwest of Paris. It is easy to reach during the a day-trip from Paris taking the quick and comfortable TGV Express train to the Tours suburban station of the St Pierre on the edge of town. Then pick up your reserved rental car. See and enjoy the area. Then drop your car off in the evening, returning back to Paris in only an hour without having to battle the big city traffic. This area peaked in power in the mid 1400's to 1700's period; Joan of Arc helped win battle at Orleans in 1429 that spurred power of French monarch to unify the country and drive out the English; Blois has population of 50,000; Tours has population of 130,000 with half-timbered houses on Place Plumeneau; priority for lunch or dinner at Chateau de Beaulieu (4 1/2 miles SW of Tours, 18th Century country estate, phone 47-53 20-26); among the top chateaus to see (all rated as three stars by Michelin Guide) that we have seen and loved are:

Azay-le-Rideau, 15 miles SW of Tours, built between 1518 and 1527 with Gothic elements combined with early Renaissance decoration set in wooded area surrounded by water on River Indre, "a romantic pleasure palace", exterior unaltered over centuries, open 9:30-6, night lumiere program during summer; called by Balzac as "multifaceted diamond set in the Indre"; *PRIORITY

Chenonceau, 14 miles SE of Tours, built starting in 1513, structure stretches across waters of Cher River, early home for King Henri II's mistress; developed later by Catherine de Medici and five successor women associated with royal families, "a romantic pleasure palace", open 9:00-7 pm March 16th to September 15th, closes a little earlier late fall through winter, see first since it is closest to train station, avoid crowds and opens at 9 a.m., has one million visitors a year, and with the exception of Versailles, is the most visited castle in France; lunch or dinner at L'Orangerie on grounds. *http://www.chenonceau.com *SUPER PRIORITY

Cheverney, eight miles SE of Blois, privately held by family with lavish interior furnishings, rich tapestries, hunt tradition, built between 1604 and 1634, open 9:15 noon and 2:15-6:30 p.m.; kennel feeding time of 5 p.m., except 3 p.m. for Tuesdays and weekends. PRIORITY *

These other two are also rated as "three stars" by Michelin:

Villandry, 12 miles west of Tours, gardens are key focus, open 9-6 for chateau, last great Renaissance chateau built in Loire Valley; *Super wonderful gardens with many water features and other unique attractions!

Chambord, ten miles east of Blois, with curved exterior towers, double curved interior staircase and Italian influence, largest in Loire Valley with 440 rooms, 365 fireplaces, begun in 1523, can rent horses here to ride in nearby woods, downside: few furnishing on interior and big to see in short visit; royalty of this period did not keep their furnishings at each location, they moved rugs, tapestries, furnishings, etc. as they shifted from location to location; open daily 9:30-11:45 a.m. and 2-4:45 p.m. *Chambord is at a little distance from some of the other locations. *Large, but a little cold because it is not as well furnished and lacks some of the comfort and charm seen with other chateaus. Their website:

http://www.chambord.org/Chambord-en-idm-1-n-Accueil.html

Local tourism office/site: http://www.holidays-loire-valley.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,626 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 93,106 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the Loire, here is one chateau (Villandry) with a spectacular gardens area and then next is the largest chateau, Chambord:

LoireGardens.jpg

LoireChambord.jpg

"For our close, almost next-door "neighbor" in Plain City, here's a hearty "HI!" on a snowy Central Ohio morning. Yes, there are lots of wonderful options in the great and charming Loire Valley. There are wine options in the area, but I might caution that most are not like the large Napa Valley tasting operations and/or almost Disney-like for their productions/set-ups. Most are just small, family operations. Also, many of the tasting options are in small village stores. What type of wine tastings were you seeking and/or expecting?

Thank you neighbor!

I hope our weather in May is as beautiful as the pictures you have posted!

And, no we do not need any disney-like productions/set-ups. I appreciate the small, family operations. I think we would like one of the stops with a nice lunch pairing with the wines ... any ideas?

Our trip is starting out in Paris, (5 nights) day 6, Pick up van and stop at Versailles, Giverny, and a long drive to Avranches. 4 nights in Avranches, meeting up with 2 in our group to visit the Normandy Beaches and St.Mont Micheal. We then head to Amboise on a slow drive from Avranches. Last night back in Paris then home to Ohio.

We plan on the terrible traffic and getting lost and meeting locals and enjoying the country and the history. All hotels are reserved. Paris Museum times are checked and verified. I am now working on details with a lot of what ifs. (Paris walking tours, and bus vs metro etc.) We plan on 8 together most of the trip. Another friend and her grandson will be in Paris while we are there. 2 in the group are Art teachers and have spent time in France. Also, we hope to meet up with our Polish cousins now living in France. (no word back from them yet :o(

I will post the full ITINERARY when it is closer to completion.

THANK YOU for the information!:p

Sunny

my daily e-mail lsunderl@ohiohealth.com

Archived