Using iPhone on the ship

kingsgirl

Do I just need to set my iPhone to airplane mode to be safe from roaming charges?

Airplane mode will stop the phone from communicating with the cell network at all, so no roaming charges. If the phone is in airplane mode, how will you be using it on the ship?

Yes. Airplane mode turns off all transmitters, so you're safe.

If you use bluetooth you'll have to turn that on individually as it's off in airplane mode by default.

I use mine a lot for deckplans as I have them loaded on. At least until I learn my way around

Do you have to take it out of Airplane Mode to make calls and text? Is there a way to block any data being downloaded but still being able to text and make phone calls? Thanks

Yes, you have to take the phone out of airplane mode to call and text. You can turn off cellular data to block data, and still be able to make calls and text. Note that MMS texts require cellular data, so you won't be able to send or receive texts with pictures or video if cellular data is off.

Do you have to take it out of Airplane Mode to make calls and text? Is there a way to block any data being downloaded but still being able to text and make phone calls? Thanks

Yes. (These directions are for iOS5, the most recent software update)

Go to Settings--> General--> Cellular--> Roaming and toggle Data Roaming to "off".

Then scroll down the page more to Use Cellular Data for: & toggle anything that you don't want to do updates(i.e. iTunes, Passbook) to "off".

For extra peace of mind you may also want to go to Settings-->Mail...--> and toggle Fetch New Data to 'off', & also make sure notifications are turned off for apps (listed individually in the general settings section).

This will allow the call & text features to work (IF your carrier allows international &/or cruise ship roaming--it will still be more expensive than on home network! Contact your provider for specific details), but won't allow connection to data networks except for your own carrier's home network.

You will still be able to turn on WiFi if you wish to do so at a free hotspot while in port, or want to pay to use ship WiFi. Use of WiFi won't incur a charge on your cell bill, you would just pay the wifi provider for the service if it's not a free hotspot.

I use my phone as an e-book reader often when I go to bed, and I have it in airplane mode so that I don't get emails, messages or phone calls. The other thing you can do if you want to just use camera, e-book, games etc, is take out the sim. No accidents then. They can't charge you if they can't get at your sim. The phone will come up with a warning, but don't let that worry you, once it gets over itself then you can pretend you are in charge! Stops any auto updating etc that these things love to do behind your back ;)

Also you can connect with wifi without your sim. I do with an old phone that I use for games also.

Note: I use android devices, so this may be different for apple devices.

I'm curious about this too. I want to be able to use my iPhone for the camera and as a clock while on board. I'm hoping airplane mode will enable me to do this with no charges.

I travel internationally frequently. I put my iPhone on airplane mode with no charges. I use my phone frequently with wifi. I FaceTime with my family back home. I also purchased the WhatsApp app that allows you to text over the wifi signal. The only caveat is that the person you are texting also needs to have this $.99 app.

I use my phone as an e-book reader often when I go to bed, and I have it in airplane mode so that I don't get emails, messages or phone calls. The other thing you can do if you want to just use camera, e-book, games etc, is take out the sim. No accidents then. They can't charge you if they can't get at your sim. The phone will come up with a warning, but don't let that worry you, once it gets over itself then you can pretend you are in charge! Stops any auto updating etc that these things love to do behind your back ;)

Also you can connect with wifi without your sim. I do with an old phone that I use for games also.

Note: I use android devices, so this may be different for apple devices.

Yeah, Verizon iPhones have no sim card.

Airplane mode will stop the phone from communicating with the cell network at all, so no roaming charges. If the phone is in airplane mode, how will you be using it on the ship?

As mentioned, even in Airplane Mode a smartphone is still capable of many things. When cruising, in Airplane Mode, we use our iPhones for the camera, games and most of all -- listening to audiobooks. And occasionally we'll turn WiFi back on and use free or low-cost hotspots to catch up on email.

Yes. (These directions are for iOS5, the most recent software update)

Go to Settings--> General--> Cellular--> Roaming and toggle Data Roaming to "off".

Then scroll down the page more to Use Cellular Data for: & toggle anything that you don't want to do updates(i.e. iTunes, Passbook) to "off".

For extra peace of mind you may also want to go to Settings-->Mail...--> and toggle Fetch New Data to 'off', & also make sure notifications are turned off for apps (listed individually in the general settings section).

This will allow the call & text features to work (IF your carrier allows international &/or cruise ship roaming--it will still be more expensive than on home network! Contact your provider for specific details), but won't allow connection to data networks except for your own carrier's home network.

You will still be able to turn on WiFi if you wish to do so at a free hotspot while in port, or want to pay to use ship WiFi. Use of WiFi won't incur a charge on your cell bill, you would just pay the wifi provider for the service if it's not a free hotspot.

Thanks for the very complete directions. I have the IPhone5 on Verizon.

Archived