Transfers Airport to Port and Back

takevtr1

I will be on the Valor 8/4 leaving from SJU.

Is it better (and cheaper) to take Carnivals transfers to the port or just grab something at the airport or pre-book a private transfer???

We will be a group of 10 all arriving together.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch......:confused:

Taxi rates in the tourist areas are set prices. Since you have 10 people, you could use two taxis. Here is a link to the zones and rates. When you walk out of the airport there is a taxi stand that will explain the rates in advance. They do charge for bags, it was a $1 a bag when we sailed out of San Juan.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/

Sounds correct as cruiseline transportation is usually the more expensive option.

Ask on the Ports Of Call board for more info. Even if you need to be split into three taxis it still might be cheaper.

Brave to be sailing in day of a cruise.

excellent

so it seems based on this info, that 2 taxis would be cheaper than all 10 of us taking the Carnival transfers.

Plus we would not have to wait for the bus to fill up.

Does this sound correct?

yes

you could probably BUY the bus with 10 round trip transfers.

take two cabs-- and ask for van taxi..

Taxi both ways and you can get a larger vans type. It won't be cheap, but it would be cheaper than 10 people taking a Carnival transfer.

Do not forget when returning from your cruise, and going to the airport, you MUST have your luggage stamped with an agriculture stamp (your checked and carry on luggage) before you can proceed. If you bypass it, they will send you back to get it done.

SadieN,

I hear you loud and clear about arriving on departure day.

We will be on the Valor out of SJU. It does not depart until 10pm, so I think we if are scheduled to arrive in SJU by 12p, I hope we should be ok.

If it was up to me, and it really is not, I would fly in the day before and enjoy the isalnd of San Juan. But the group does not want to add further expense of a hotel room, plus all that goes along with that.

SadieN,

I hear you loud and clear about arriving on departure day.

We will be on the Valor out of SJU. It does not depart until 10pm, so I think we if are scheduled to arrive in SJU by 12p, I hope we should be ok.

If it was up to me, and it really is not, I would fly in the day before and enjoy the isalnd of San Juan. But the group does not want to add further expense of a hotel room, plus all that goes along with that.

did they at least opt for travel insurance.?

August/ Sept is prime time hurricane season.

serene56,

we have not acutally booked yet. We are meeting with our TA on Sunday and hope to make the depsit then.

Not sure if we are going to take insurance. I am not a big fan of that. This time, we are going to my in-laws who are up there in age, so I am going to have take the insurance and I will decide by Sunday. My family is 4 people, so insurance adds a lot of $$ to the final price.

serene56,

we have not acutally booked yet. We are meeting with our TA on Sunday and hope to make the depsit then.

Not sure if we are going to take insurance. I am not a big fan of that. This time, we are going to my in-laws who are up there in age, so I am going to have take the insurance and I will decide by Sunday. My family is 4 people, so insurance adds a lot of $$ to the final price.

do not use carnival insurance-- but a insuremytrip. could be less then 50 bucks.

you can also just insure your parents- especially if they have medical issues.

But the parents insurance could be pricy- I think my dads policy is 99.00 but it covers everything

ok thanks Serene56, that sounds like a good idea.

I will also check out the web site you mention.

My TA always trys to get me to take the insureance, not because she is trying to make more money, but she really looks out for us.

We have been using her for well over 10 years now.

I just wish that sometimes her copmpany could get us some perks like free insurance or OBC. I so many many web sites that offer these perks, but we never seem to get them.

Taxi's are by far the cheapest and easiest way to get around in San Juan- no waiting for a cruise line bus to fill up and you pay a set fee per cab, not per person like on the transfers.

When you get to the airport, just walk out with your luggage, get a ticket from the cab stand and you will be immediately directed to a waiting cab. The same goes for your trip back to the airport after your cruise. It should cost $19 per cab, plus $1 per bag, not including the smaller bags you carry your self to get to or from the airport to the pier.

O.K. so do you get this agriculture stamp at the pier or at the airport? So glad someone brought this up as we are a large group of over 50 and it's our first time out of SJ and I need to put this info in our letter we are preparing for our first group meeting.

Thanks so much for telling about this!!!

Robin :)

will they have a "taxi" that can 5 or 6 people and luggage??? WE are 10 people and have no issues taking 2 taxis, but want to make sure that they will have cars or actually vans to take as manay of us in one or two vehicles.

The carnival transfer is $30 pp RT. So that is $300 for all of us. I fI figure correctly, taking a taxi would only cost about $96 for all 10 RT and that includes 10 bags (not counting a tip of course).

I've found the taxis are nearly ALWAYS less than the transfer. And you're not stuck waiting for the bus to fill.

Taxi service is easy-peazy in San Juan. You walk out to a kiosk and they match you with a taxi in minutes. All rates are displayed so there is no question what you'll be charged.

I've found the taxis are nearly ALWAYS less than the transfer. And you're not stuck waiting for the bus to fill.

Taxi service is easy-peazy in San Juan. You walk out to a kiosk and they match you with a taxi in minutes. All rates are displayed so there is no question what you'll be charged.

ok, but do they have large vehicles?? I dont want to end up having to take 4 or 5 taxis each way. If we can fit the 10 of us into 2 vehicles, then it is worth it $$ wise. And I do understand that I bypass the crowds waitnig for a bus.

I just need to convince one member in my party that taxis are a "safe" way to go. He is a worry wort.:)

will they have a "taxi" that can 5 or 6 people and luggage??? WE are 10 people and have no issues taking 2 taxis, but want to make sure that they will have cars or actually vans to take as manay of us in one or two vehicles.

The carnival transfer is $30 pp RT. So that is $300 for all of us. I fI figure correctly, taking a taxi would only cost about $96 for all 10 RT and that includes 10 bags (not counting a tip of course).

I don't think it will even cost you that much. but have ony traveled in twos. The cost is per taxi and they have vans that will easily hold half your party. So, you should need more than 2 cabs at $19 each plus the cost of the bags and tips.

Definitely save that $300 in transfer fees!

Please tell your friend that my sister and I are two middle age women who feel perfectly comfortable traveling in cabs in San Juan. In 4 trips we've never had a problem. We feel very safe there!

I don't think it will even cost you that much. but have ony traveled in twos. The cost is per taxi and they have vans that will easily hold half your party. So, you should need more than 2 cabs at $19 each plus the cost of the bags and tips.

Definitely save that $300 in transfer fees!

Please tell your friend that my sister and I are two middle age women who feel perfectly comfortable traveling in cabs in San Juan. In 4 trips we've never had a problem. We feel very safe there!

ok thanks MDSue. I will be sure to pass this on to my brother in-law. Personnaly, I dont have any issues taking taxi, I actually would rahter do it for all the resons stated on this thread.

THANKS!!!!!

Does anybody know exactly where the Valor leaves from??? I hear that there are many piers in San Juan.

ok thanks MDSue. I will be sure to pass this on to my brother in-law. Personnaly, I dont have any issues taking taxi, I actually would rahter do it for all the resons stated on this thread.

THANKS!!!!!

Does anybody know exactly where the Valor leaves from??? I hear that there are many piers in San Juan.

Hey, I meant to say "you should not need more than 2 cabs"- sorry. The Valor should leave from the dock which is right in downtown San Juan. The other pier is called the Pan Am pier. Thar is where the other cruise lines depart from. Carnival is the only line that I know of that uses the downtown pier to depart from.

Enjoy your trip! I love the city of Old San Juan and have always felt perfectly safe in and around town. The taxi system is very regulated and professionally operated. It is so easy and no hassle at all.

Maybe you can use your savings to invest in that travel insurance! If you read these boards enough, you'll come across numerous sad stories of last minute illnesses injuries, or weather delays that caused the cruisers to lose all or part of their money and vacation. It's especially worthwhile if you are flying in the same day if departure. You can save a bit by shopping around, but it's one of thise investments that never seems worthwhile until you acutally need it. I won't travel without it.

Hopefully, you have passports too!

Hey, I meant to say "you should not need more than 2 cabs"- sorry. The Valor should leave from the dock which is right in downtown San Juan. The other pier is called the Pan Am pier. Thar is where the other cruise lines depart from. Carnival is the only line that I know of that uses the downtown pier to depart from.

Enjoy your trip! I love the city of Old San Juan and have always felt perfectly safe in and around town. The taxi system is very regulated and professionally operated. It is so easy and no hassle at all.

Maybe you can use your savings to invest in that travel insurance! If you read these boards enough, you'll come across numerous sad stories of last minute illnesses injuries, or weather delays that caused the cruisers to lose all or part of their money and vacation. It's especially worthwhile if you are flying in the same day if departure. You can save a bit by shopping around, but it's one of thise investments that never seems worthwhile until you acutally need it. I won't travel without it.

Hopefully, you have passports too!

Passports we have. And that is what I figured when you said we would need more than 2 cabs.

Good to know which pier the Valor leaves from

And yes, we will most likely take the insurance - either thru the TA or on our own. We don't have to make that decision until final payment which is in May.

Thanks for all you advice etc.

Archived