Experience with the Miami airport and/or flights with overnight layovers?

willow028

Our cruise disembarks in Barbados, and we're spending a few days there before flying back to Miami. Our flight to Miami gets in around 7PM and we don't fly to Phoenix until the next day at 4PM. We've booked a hotel, etc.

My question is going through customs once we land in Miami - if we have a checked bag, once we reclaim it, can we check it again right away like you do with flights with shorter connection times? Or do we have to haul it with us to the hotel, get to the airport early the next day, wait in line, etc to meet the time requirement for checked bags? We're flying American if that makes any difference...

I appreciate any help - the answer to this determines just how light we pack for this trip! :)

For you own peace of mind I recommend you retrieve your luggage in MIA, regardless of the airline rules.

Read AA's check-in regs. They differ from airport to airport and domestic to international. You cannot check your bags at will. The likely time would be between 2-3 hours before your return flight.

You retreive your checked luggage in MIA and go through customs and immigration and take your luggage to your hotel. The next day you check your luggage and fly home. If you were flying home the same day you would re-check your luggage.

We are staying at the Miami International Airport hotel that is in the airport very close to American.

We will be coming from St Maarten and overnighting and then flying back to California.

Thanks to you both - I've never had that long of a layover before and wasn't sure what the rules were for continuing flights with that much time between them. I appreciate the information - and I do believe we'll be packing carry on only!

Archived