Air Miles for flights, only paid Port Tax....Need insurance??

SakeDad

So a friend booked the cabin and I am just paying $96 in taxes. I used air miles for my flights and paid $110 fees. Insurance would be $46 if I get the extra insurance to go to hospital of my choice. I am a pretty healthy 49 year old but you never know. Should I get this or just not bother for the $200 spent going to the W Carib for 7 days on NCL??

I would get the evac insurance. (And med insurance if your own coverage does not extend overseas.) No, you are not likely to use it, but if you do need to be evac'd and cannot afford it yourself, immediately, you are simply going to die. Neither the cruise line, airline, or embassy will do it gratis.

So a friend booked the cabin and I am just paying $96 in taxes. I used air miles for my flights and paid $110 fees. Insurance would be $46 if I get the extra insurance to go to hospital of my choice. I am a pretty healthy 49 year old but you never know. Should I get this or just not bother for the $200 spent going to the W Carib for 7 days on NCL??

Be sure you understand what exactly the "hospital of choice" benefit covers. This is from one plan:

"Hospital of Choice: You may choose a non-emergency Medical Evacuation to a Hospital in a city within the U.S. or Canada other than Your city of residence, but the maximum amount payable is limited to the cost of a Medical Evacuation to Your home city of residence."

So, if the hospital you choose costs them LESS than getting you home, they're happy to do it. If it costs them MORE you get stuck with the bill. Heads we win, tails you lose.

They're not all like this but enough of them are that you really need to read and understand what you're getting if you're paying more to get this benefit.

You don't need trip cancellation or interruption coverage, all you need is medical outside of country (if your regular health coverage will not pay internationally) and evacuation/repatriation coverage.

Premiums for that coverage are quite low. It is the cancellation coverage that raises the premiums.

I have heard too many stories!!!:eek: So even at the cheap price I am going for I bought a package with good Medical and Evac coverage for $39 total! I will have piece of mind and didn't spend much to get it. Thanks!:D

I have heard too many stories!!!:eek: So even at the cheap price I am going for I bought a package with good Medical and Evac coverage for $39 total! I will have piece of mind and didn't spend much to get it. Thanks!:D

That buys you peace of mind........ priceless.

Archived