Cobh to Kinsale

catlady1

We will be arriving in Cobh on the Emerald Princess.

We would like to spend the day in Kinsale.

The Princess tour goes to Cork City and Blarney before Kinsale. It only spends 45 min in Kinsale.

We would really like to spend some time in Kinsale and have lunch there.

Does anyone know how much a taxi would cost to make the RT or can you take public transportation?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

The best option would be if you could rent a car for the day (even though we drive on the 'wrong' side of the road):eek:. Next best option would be to put a small group together through your CC Roll Call and organise a trip with Butler's buses, who are well recommended. http://www.butlers-buses.com/index.htm.

To do it yourself by bus will be a bit of work and planning! You will need to take the local train from Cobh to Cork (there are no buses), http://www.irishrail.ie/. Then walk from the train station to the bus station (approx 15/20 mins) and get the bus to Kinsale http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1275643159-249.pdf. The return journey would be the reverse of this.

So, if you dock on time and can disembark promptly you could get the 9.30 am train. (normally, when a cruise ship is in port there are extra trains running, however as I don't have details of schedules I have ignored that possibility). This train will get into Cork station at 9.54 am. Then you have a 15/20 minute walk to the bus station to get the 10.30 bus to Kinsale, which arrives in Kinsale at 11.15 am. (Next bus to Kinsale is 11.45 am which arrives in Kinsale at 12.35).

For the return journey, working on 6 pm All aboard time (sorry, its just the way I am. Safe, not sorry!). You would be best to get the 5 pm train from Cork to Cobh, which arrives in Cobh at 5.24 pm. You could chance the 5.30 pm train which gets into Cobh at 5.54 pm (the Cobh train station is just beside the dock), but it would be a very busy train.

Anyway, for the 5 pm train, you need to get the bus from Kinsale at 3.45 pm which gets into the bus station, Cork at 4.35 pm.

So you if all goes to plan you could get 4 and half hours in Kinsale.:D

If you need anything else, then let me know

The recommended "touring" rate for taxis is about €35 per hour, but you could negotiate that a little.

The real question is, I feel is whether it worth the effort to go to Kinsale? There are fantastic restaurants there and the town is pretty. There is also an impressive fort which is quite a distance outside the town and lots of craft/art type shops. Other than that there isn't a lot to do or see.

Why not consider staying in Cobh and have a relaxed day without the stress of travelling to a deadline. There are lots of things to see and do - the Titanic Experience, Queenstown Story Heritage Centre, Cobh Road Train, the magnificent Cathedral, the Titanic Trail and Spike Island. Kelly's Bar will likely have live music in the afternoon and there are loads of cafe's. A good lunch is guaranteed in Trade Winds, Gilberts or the Titanic Bar and Bistro. Craft/souvenir shopping is also well catered for with Tregan Craft Center and Christys Irish Store in the Heritage Centre right next to your ship. Check out this website for more ideas http://visitcobh.com/index.php/2011/05/18/cruise-passengers-your-window-on-cobh/

Thanks all for your help.

The train, bus deal doesn't sound so good. I would be nervous thinking about missing the ship.

I think it's either a RT taxi to Kinsale or a day in Cork City.

We have spent a day in Cobh .

We did walk the Titanic trail and drank pints of Bemish and Murphy's.

That was fun.

Mike

I want to put my 2 cents in on Butler Buses.....we used them last year at our stop in Cobh on Emerald Princess.

I can't say enough nice things about them. We had three buses, all to max capacity. It was a very nice day (my only complaint is that there are no restrooms in the buses but it isn't Butler's fault!). Kinsale was our last stop and I don't know that I would have been able to find enough to stay there all day.

We loved our day in Ireland so much, that I contacted them about a self-drive tour. They do not offer a self drive but they were able to guide me as who to contact and then they followed up. We wanted to use someone local, not an agency from the States. I believe I will be very pleased.

I will use them in a heartbeat if we stop again for the day!

• 2 years later...
We are on the same cruise and along with some other couples have booked with Butler Buses. Found the prices to be very reasonable.

Hello. I've just started browsing the forum hoping to connect with other cruisers for shore excursions. Can my husband and I join your bus group on this tour? Or do you know of other couples who might want to join us on another bus?

I've contacted Butler bus a week ago and below was their response:

Good Morning Susan,

Maybe a 5 hour private tour might suit, please can you advise how many people would be in group so I can check our availability.

Please see prices below:

1 to 5 passengers - 240.00 Euro for a 5 hour tour and 25.00 Euro per hour thereafter

6 to 12 passengers - 280.00 Euro for a 5 hour tour and 25.00 Euro per hour thereafter

13 to 24 passengers - 330.00 Euro for a 5 hour tour and 30.00 Euro per hour thereafter

25 to 49 passengers - 400.00 Euro for a 5 hour tour and 50.00 Euro per hour thereafter

Our prices include all taxes, your mini-bus and experienced local driver/guide, fuel, parking, tolls and a flexible itinerary with unlimited mileage.

Our prices do not include admissions to attractions or your meals.

Your itinerary is totally flexible allowing you to go where you please and when you please. We are more than happy to be of assistance in helping you plan your itinerary and your driver/guide will be at hand to be of service to you on the day.

Hi sffantuzzo, i would just point out to you that this thread is from 2013, I reckon the posters have long since departed from their tour.

You should post on the Roll Call for your cruise.

Look for the heading 'Roll Calls', then select your cruise line and then the ship and date you are travelling.

I want to put my 2 cents in on Butler Buses.....we used them last year at our stop in Cobh on Emerald Princess.

I can't say enough nice things about them. We had three buses, all to max capacity. It was a very nice day (my only complaint is that there are no restrooms in the buses but it isn't Butler's fault!). Kinsale was our last stop and I don't know that I would have been able to find enough to stay there all day.

We loved our day in Ireland so much, that I contacted them about a self-drive tour. They do not offer a self drive but they were able to guide me as who to contact and then they followed up. We wanted to use someone local, not an agency from the States. I believe I will be very pleased.

I will use them in a heartbeat if we stop again for the day!

We also LOVED our tour with Butler's this past May and spent about 2 hours in Kinsale (after Blarney Castle and Cork). I agree there's not a whole lot to do in Kinsale. We had lunch at Dino's (delicious fish and chips) then went for a walk around the shops for about an hour. We saw pretty much everything that was in the area that the bus dropped us at. I certainly don't think I'd want any more time than that. It's a lovely little place and we were very pleased with Butler's. We did not book this through the ship but I booked it online direct with Butler's before we left. :)