meet and greet

jogehanna

Does anyone have experience about arranging a meet and greet on Oceania? I called the cruiseline and was told they have nothing to do with it. Interesting that other postings from different cruiselines have mentioned the ship's participation in making the arrangements.

Joyce

Does anyone have experience about arranging a meet and greet on Oceania? I called the cruiseline and was told they have nothing to do with it. Interesting that other postings from different cruiselines have mentioned the ship's participation in making the arrangements.

Joyce

Stand by jogehanna, I suspect you will soon hear from LuAnn. You've hit on her favorite pet peeve. (Hi LuAnn - hope you and Ken are doing well).

Dennis

I have set up several without a problem but I wait until I am on the ship. I have heard from others who say it is impossible, but it's never been impossible for me.

I collect names and room numbers before leaving -- but don't publish that information at CC. When I board I go to the Concierge with my list and they find a good date and venue for me. This has always been in Horizons, but depending on numbers of attendees it could be someplace else. My groups have generally been between 20-50.

The Concierge takes the list and sends out invitations.

On our Marina cruise we had an informal get-together the night we left Civitavecchia in Horizons. The bartender stressed to our "leader" that they really wanted us to go through the Concierge for our official M&G, which I did. They were very helpful.

So while others say they have problems setting something up, I never have.

Mura

I have set up several without a problem but I wait until I am on the ship. I have heard from others who say it is impossible, but it's never been impossible for me.

I collect names and room numbers before leaving -- but don't publish that information at CC. When I board I go to the Concierge with my list and they find a good date and venue for me. This has always been in Horizons, but depending on numbers of attendees it could be someplace else. My groups have generally been between 20-50.

The Concierge takes the list and sends out invitations.

On our Marina cruise we had an informal get-together the night we left Civitavecchia in Horizons. The bartender stressed to our "leader" that they really wanted us to go through the Concierge for our official M&G, which I did. They were very helpful.

So while others say they have problems setting something up, I never have.

Mura

That is EXACTLY, but EXACTLY how we handle the Meet & Greets that we have handled (and occasionally hosted).

Joyce

Oceania does not set up meet & greets. As the others have mentioned, you or someone on your roll call have to do it yourselves. Once you are on board, if you need any assistance, speak to the Concierge. He or a staff member he assigns will often assist with setting a time and place which doesn't conflict with other events or use of the space, and will assist in distributing invitations or reminders if that's what you want to do.

The assistance is probably not needed if you have a small group. I've arranged meet & greets with as few as 12 people), but it comes in handy if it's a large group. I've also participated, with Jim and Stan, in arrangements for a group of over 100, which might have been improbable without the help of the assistant concierge.

Royal Caribbean, which also includes Celebrity and Azamara, have a special arrangement in partnership with Cruise Critic to sign up for a meet & greet on the Cruise Critic web site. They require a group of 25 or more. I believe they pay Cruise Critic a fairly substantial sum for this arrangement. They are the only ones who have it. I've never been to one of their meetings; the one Celebrity cruise I took did not rise to the 25 guest level. I'm on another Celebrity cruise (to Hawaii) in March; there are 71 currently signed up, so I'll finally see what they have to offer.

NCL also hosts Cruise Critic Meet & Greets, usually held during the day, providing pastries, coffee and juice, most often with some officers present, primarily the Hotel Director (General Manager on Oceania). But, they have to be arranged by the members of the Roll Call; there is no automatic signup on Cruise Critic.

I'm not aware of arrangements by any other cruise line, although they may exist. I've spoken with cruise line executives, and most say they don't want to show favor exclusively to any small group, and some have implied that those cruise lines who are now offering the M & G for CC members would love to get out of it if they could figure a way without upsetting anyone. Cruise Critic participants, for all the weight that WE put on it, are a very small percentage of passengers as a whole.

For the first few years of its existence Oceania did a party (with drinks and munchies) for members of the yahoo Oceania board if there were a minimum of 35 participants. O cancelled doing this just before the first cruise I was ever on that actually had 35 participants, so I never benefited myself.

It was rumored on the yahoo board at that time that the reason for the cancellation was because of complaints made by CC members, but I have no idea if that is true or not. I suspect O just wanted out ... that seems more likely.

Mura

I have also done it the way Mura does

Only on our Marina cruise did we fall through the cracks

We ended up with a meeting on the 2nd last night of an 18 day cruise that the Concierge had sent reminders out to those on the list

We did our own M & G on the 1st sea day but no specific space set aside

All I had asked for was an area roped off in Horizons ..out of the way of other guests

They do Canadian, Australian, NZ & British meetings during the the cruise usually 1 or 2 nights per group depending on the numbers on board

FOD & Friends of Bill W Nightly

From now on we will just pick a time & place & hope for the best

It is not going to ruin my cruise

Lyn

For the first few years of its existence Oceania did a party (with drinks and munchies) for members of the yahoo Oceania board if there were a minimum of 35 participants. O cancelled doing this just before the first cruise I was ever on that actually had 35 participants, so I never benefited myself.

It was rumored on the yahoo board at that time that the reason for the cancellation was because of complaints made by CC members, but I have no idea if that is true or not. I suspect O just wanted out ... that seems more likely.

Mura

On our first Oceania cruise we did attend the Yahoo party

They served drinks & snacks & some of the staff attended ...Captain, CD, social hostess

They serve snacks in the evening now on the ships so I do not see why they cannot just make a small space for a CC group

We can buy our own drinks ;)

Anyway a moot point as they have said numerous times they will NOT have a party for CC members

Then you read how 1 person has arranged to get one with free drinks etc...

Seems not the same policy for all

Lyn

Crystal arranges meet and mingles if 10 passengers sign up online, invitations are sent out and drinks and snacks are served and officers drop by.

I specifically asked FDR about this issue and this is his answer:

"We did support CC meet and mingles a few years ago. Became burdensome to ship staff as every leader wanted something different. Also became costly and other non CC guests often resented the mingles."

Crystal arranges meet and mingles if 10 passengers sign up online, invitations are sent out and drinks and snacks are served and officers drop by.

I specifically asked FDR about this issue and this is his answer:

"We did support CC meet and mingles a few years ago. Became burdensome to ship staff as every leader wanted something different. Also became costly and other non CC guests often resented the mingles."

It that case they should discontinue the other group meetings where they section off an area in Horizons & announce such meeting in the CURRENTS

Lyn

I have to say that while I'm sorry I missed the Oceania-hosted M&Gs for the yahoo board members (just because on my cruises we never had the required number of people), I rather like the current system of consulting with the Concierge, giving him/her your list with room numbers, and their finding a place for us. On Marina, they threw in peanuts and such which we hadn't expected. Usually it is just a cash bar.

I should add that the first couple of times I did this I told the Concierge it was a cash bar, and he supposedly told the bar staff that it was a cash bar -- but they were happily charging all the drinks to our account. We did correct that misconception (!) but ever since we make darned sure the waiters and bartender know it is a cash bar!

It would be nice if senior staff showed up at our party, but it certainly isn't required (at least IMO). For me, the function is to meet the passengers with whom I've been corresponding for months ... I enjoy meeting the senior staff, but it isn't essential ... for me.

As long as the on-board staff assist in setting up a meeting place, I'm happy.

It also seems that FDR's comments about why they stopped doing this is very understandable. I would love it if they hosted these things! But they don't have to as long as we can arrange something on our own. We appreciate the ship's help in finding a time and venue, and their sending out invitations is very nice -- but even that could be handled on our end if it had to be. I wouldn't look forward to making a dozen or more phone calls as to where or when, but I would do it if I had to.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that last bit ...

Mura

Mura as you have said all we want is a place to meet & have the staff arrange an area that is not going to interfere with other activities

I have had good luck with the Concierge arranging a space & sending out the invites ...all I really requested was an area for us to meet & to give the staff a "heads up" there would be a crowd to serve drinks to

In the bars during happy hour they give guests a dish of nuts/snacks with their drinks

after happy hour they seem to give out some better types of snacks with your drinks so it is not really any different if you have a group of 4 show up or 100 people ...it does not cost the cruise line anymore

They just need more snacks;)

But at least if they know you are having a group of people all going to descend on a specific bar at the same time they can be prepared with extra servers

Most people stay for half an hour then off to do other things so it is not like when they have large alumi groups that close off rooms to the other passengers

OK off my soap box

Lyn

Princess and HAL also offer places for M&G. On our transatlantic on Crown Princess, we had over 200 and before the trip, they gave us Skywalkers. No snacks or anything like that, but the Captain and many senior staff members came.It was Capt. "Andy" and he is fabulous. A very people person with great communication.

On HAL on two different ships, they set up a place for us and one ship provided Mimosas and Bloody Mary's, and the other provided beautiful canapes, Screwdrivers, Mimosas and Bloody Mary's. It was kind of funny for the Maitre 'd asked what they gave us on the other ship, and he said he would not be outdone, and increased the number of items. Too funny. He told me they really enjoy doing this.

It is nice if everyone can kind of meet near the beginning of the trip for many have arranged excursions with one another or just meeting your CC members and then seeing them the rest of the trip.

At the last HAL M&G I attended, the cruise line provided coffee/tea/juices, cakes/cookies, & a senior officer attended. We met again later in the 23 day cruise, this time with HAL's Hotel Manager, to discuss how we felt the cruise was going--kudo's, complaints, etc.--nice touch.

In contrast, Celebrity didn't even advise most CC'ers as to the time/date/location of the M&G on our recent cruise with that line. Consequently, only 10-15 people showed up. I believe refreshments/goodies were provided.

Last time on the Marina, we met in the Grand Lounge & had a loud & boisterous M&G on our own, without alcohol or sugar!:)

On our recent cruise on Riviera, the meet and greet only happened because Heather took the initiative, gathered email addresses and suite numbers and kept us informed, after selecting the date and time. The problem in doing it on your own is that, having to select the date and time before embarkation, you don't know what is going on in the venue that you have selected, how much time you can spend there or what other competing activities might be scheduled at the same time. I agree that food and drink and visits from crew are unimportant, but it would be nice to have a designated time and place that allows pax to maximize the experience. We were fortunate to have met most of the people at the m&g, but it was difficult to speak to everyone because of the set-up, timing, etc.

I guess that my point is, that with a little more support in scheduling from O, the experience might have been enhanced. Could we have arranged it through the concierge, and would it have been better had we done so? I don't know the answer to that.

Anyway, it was nice to meet those that we did meet, and it led to my membership on a stellar trivia team, and I really appreciate the efforts of Heather and others who coordinated the meeting.

My past experience says that the answer is yes, you could have made arrangements through the Concierge. They've always been very helpful to me. But not all concierges are created equal, and it's possible you could encounter one who doesn't want to bother.

That's just never happened to me when I set up a M&G. Of course, mine have always been relatively small (the largest was for about 55 people) and sometimes the groups are so large they go to the lounge. But that doesn't happen very often, at least I don't think so.

Mura

My past experience says that the answer is yes, you could have made arrangements through the Concierge. They've always been very helpful to me. But not all concierges are created equal, and it's possible you could encounter one who doesn't want to bother.

Mura

My experience was the same the concierge has always been most helpful in arranging a space on the R-ships

The Marina cruise is another story

...But not all concierges are created equal, and it's possible you could encounter one who doesn't want to bother.

We did run into ONE Concierge (a rather well-known one, at that), who, upon being asked for basic, simple help, sniffed his nose into the air and said, "We don't do that!" However, on further consideration, he relented to the point that he appointed his assistant concierge to the task.

That assistant soon had conferences with the cruise director, general manager and food and beverage manager, and a suitable location was identified and roped off for us, and a suitable time identified. Subsequently he took our suggested wording for a simple invitation, typed it out onthe computer and printed sufficient copies on ship's letterhead. He then had these distributed by the ship's couriers to the guest's cabins.

For our part, we had gathered the full names and cabin numbers of the participants through the Cruise Critic Roll Call. We found that many guests do not like to their last names or cabin numbers published on a public forum, so I undertook the task of having everyone send me a private email with that information. I entered it all into a spreadsheet and presented the complete data to the assistant concierge.

I've now done that exact procedure for several cruises. We haven't always used the concierge or the services of the general cruise staff; we've had a couple of meetings help in one of the upper suites. It turns out that an aft deck 11 Oceania Suite can accommodate up to 40 folks comfortably if the weather is nice enough to use the wrap around balcony; and that an O class Owner's Suite can handle more.

On my last cruise, someone who knew the concierge from previous voyages, and had his email address, arranged the M & G ahead of the cruise, using the Sanctuary space on Deck 14 forward very nicely for a group of around 60. This time I used my private list, printed my own reminders (because we knew the time and place ahead of the cruise) and walked around the ship distributing them myself; it was great exercise.

For my next cruise, I've discovered some form-building software that's connected with a hosting site. I "built" a secure on-line form that guests can use to fill in their personal information; the hosting site stores the results in a secure database where I can download it into a spreadsheet when I need it. It seems to be working well. The information on the software is too complex to publish here; if anyone is interested, send me a message.

It that case they should discontinue the other group meetings where they section off an area in Horizons & announce such meeting in the CURRENTS

Lyn

I agree with you. If Oceania feels groups meeting up upsets other passengers, then none at all should take place.

Danny, thanks:). Early on in our roll call a few regular Oceania cruisers suggested that Oceania wouldn't want to be involved so we kept it casual. And even though the meet-up was short, it was great that so many turned out. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again the same way, but possibly Mura's way is better. The only problem is that Oceania might not find a venue that wouldn't conflict until far later in the cruise and by then is there that much of a point?

I understand Oceania's decision on this on some level, but I do wonder why they have no problem lending support to other groups and announcing their "non-hosted" meet-ups in "Currents".

Archived