Just back from our 8 day Freedom Cruise.....

onebzemom

.....and I thought I'd share my review.

8 Day Cruise to Grand Turk, La Romona, Curacao, and Aruba

January 12-19th

This is my first review and the first time on the Freedom. I am still unpacking and sorting pictures. We are still dealing with jet lag. We have never had such a problem with only a 3 hour time change. We will never take a late flight home! I worked for two days and now off for two days and all I want to do is sleep. I'm hoping writing this will help!

My DH and I are from Sandy, Oregon. East of Portland at the base of Mt. Hood. We sailed with my parents who are from Woodburn, south of Portland. January is a good time to cruise. Nice change from the rain and cold weather.

We left on Jan. 5th for a 4 day Pre cruise on NCL Sky to the Bahamas. We stayed at the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center for two days before that cruise. It was a very nice place and we got it for a very nice price on Hotwire. I would definitely recommend this place before a cruise. Close to restaurants and shopping for those last minute items. Unfortunately I was just getting over a bad cold and my DH caught it on the flight over. So we didn't do too much for those two days. I take that back. We did make it over to Fort Lauderdale beach and I played in the waves. I really do believe those saline shots up the nose from the waves really helped my cold. :)

After our NCL cruise, and before our Freedom Cruise, we picked up our rental car in Miami downtown area. Spent the day driving around doing nothing special. We had reservations for La Quinta in Hollywood and was able to get an early check in at 12pm. Our plan was to do laundry from the last cruise.

Sounds pretty boring, I know, but with me and DH dealing with our cold, I also had hurt my knee and was limping and very sore. I lived with an ice pack the whole time.

When we checked in at La Quinta, we were asked if we wanted to use the shuttle to the Pier. I believe it was $8 per person. Since we had our rental car, we said no. Later I learned, the earlier you signed up for the shuttle, the earlier you were able to leave for the Pier. By 9am, people were standing around waiting for their turn to leave. We had their breakfast and took off.

We dropped off our Budget Rental Car on 17th St. They had a free shuttle to the Pier. It had just left and probably took about 25 minutes before it returned. When we got to the Pier, this couple started yelling at the driver because 'they' had to stand in the hot sun for 30 minutes. I don't remember what ship they had just gotten off, but we really felt sorry for the driver. This couple kept yelling at them while the driver was putting their luggage in the van and didn't shut up even after they got in. Sure upset everyone in the van. Here we are excited about our cruise and these inpatient people are yelling. Had it been me driving, I would have told them to get off. Mom was really upset for the driver and so she started yelling at this couple. Good Ole Mom, she sure chewed them out. Gave them the good guilt trip too. Then they started in on Mom. Boy, was that the wrong thing to do. I wasn't sure what my 78 year old, 5 foot mother was going to do to those people, so I started in on them with a good 'Shut Up' with my DH keeping me from getting up. At that point we had arrived at the Freedom. As I got off, I very nicely said to them. "I hope the rest of your trip goes as well as this last 45 minutes". They said Thank you to me. I don't think they realized what I meant. :D My family didn't hear what I said. So when I told them, we laughed all the way to checkin!

Till later, denise

Looking forward to your review! I love the Freedom!

I wonder if people who yell and rant and rave like those people realise how obnoxious and silly they appear to others.

I will look forward to more of your review, and thanks for sharing.:)

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your review....we cruise on the Freedom on March 3rd.

I love your attitude about the Rental Car shuttle.....I would have done the same thing. You're on vacation so chill out ;) If you wanted it to come any faster then take a freaking taxi

.....and I thought I'd share my review.

8 Day Cruise to Grand Turk, La Romona, Curacao, and Aruba

January 12-19th

This is my first review and the first time on the Freedom. I am still unpacking and sorting pictures. We are still dealing with jet lag. We have never had such a problem with only a 3 hour time change. We will never take a late flight home! I worked for two days and now off for two days and all I want to do is sleep. I'm hoping writing this will help!

My DH and I are from Sandy, Oregon. East of Portland at the base of Mt. Hood. We sailed with my parents who are from Woodburn, south of Portland. January is a good time to cruise. Nice change from the rain and cold weather.

We left on Jan. 5th for a 4 day Pre cruise on NCL Sky to the Bahamas. We stayed at the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center for two days before that cruise. It was a very nice place and we got it for a very nice price on Hotwire. I would definitely recommend this place before a cruise. Close to restaurants and shopping for those last minute items. Unfortunately I was just getting over a bad cold and my DH caught it on the flight over. So we didn't do too much for those two days. I take that back. We did make it over to Fort Lauderdale beach and I played in the waves. I really do believe those saline shots up the nose from the waves really helped my cold. :)

After our NCL cruise, and before our Freedom Cruise, we picked up our rental car in Miami downtown area. Spent the day driving around doing nothing special. We had reservations for La Quinta in Hollywood and was able to get an early check in at 12pm. Our plan was to do laundry from the last cruise.

Sounds pretty boring, I know, but with me and DH dealing with our cold, I also had hurt my knee and was limping and very sore. I lived with an ice pack the whole time.

When we checked in at La Quinta, we were asked if we wanted to use the shuttle to the Pier. I believe it was $8 per person. Since we had our rental car, we said no. Later I learned, the earlier you signed up for the shuttle, the earlier you were able to leave for the Pier. By 9am, people were standing around waiting for their turn to leave. We had their breakfast and took off.

We dropped off our Budget Rental Car on 17th St. They had a free shuttle to the Pier. It had just left and probably took about 25 minutes before it returned. When we got to the Pier, this couple started yelling at the driver because 'they' had to stand in the hot sun for 30 minutes. I don't remember what ship they had just gotten off, but we really felt sorry for the driver. This couple kept yelling at them while the driver was putting their luggage in the van and didn't shut up even after they got in. Sure upset everyone in the van. Here we are excited about our cruise and these inpatient people are yelling. Had it been me driving, I would have told them to get off. Mom was really upset for the driver and so she started yelling at this couple. Good Ole Mom, she sure chewed them out. Gave them the good guilt trip too. Then they started in on Mom. Boy, was that the wrong thing to do. I wasn't sure what my 78 year old, 5 foot mother was going to do to those people, so I started in on them with a good 'Shut Up' with my DH keeping me from getting up. At that point we had arrived at the Freedom. As I got off, I very nicely said to them. "I hope the rest of your trip goes as well as this last 45 minutes". They said Thank you to me. I don't think they realized what I meant. :D My family didn't hear what I said. So when I told them, we laughed all the way to checkin!

Till later, denise

Welcome to South Florida!;)

My wife and I are doing this cruise May 4th. We have our first AFT balcony and so looking forward to the experience. Im ready for your review with bated breath. If so could you/can you post the dinner menus. Would like to know which day would be the best day to skip out on dinner in the MDR and go to the steakhouse. Thanks for your review.

My family will be sailing on the Freedom March 9th, and also staying at La Quinta the night before we sail. Debating if we should just get a cab or do the shuttle. There is four of us, so not sure which is better. Does the shuttle stop along the way or is it direct?

Were there 4 nights of comedy shows with two shows each night (family early, adult later)? Do you happen to remember the nights they had comedians?

If you ate in the MDR, were there any particular menus that would be "good" nights to hit the Steakhouse?

Are there any "don't miss" production shows and do they run twice, for early and late dining, or just one 10:30 show that is for both?

Thank you.

If these people were from South Florida, what reason can you think of they would need Budget Rental Car?

A lot of businesses "rent" parking spaces in the area. And I don't know where those people were from, just a (sarcastic) comment on the general mindset in South Florida. And don't flame me, there are also kind and considerate people there...just with the number of people in the area, rudeness really does rule.:)

I am so sorry for not getting back sooner. Those two days after the cruise we thought were just jet lag, well, it turned out to be the beginning of the flu. It is the first time both of us have been sick at the same time. Hit us pretty hard. We were felling like hermits. Finally saw and doctor and well, what can I say. Drugs are amazing. :eek: We are both up and moving, still at a slower pace, but we feel so much better. We go back to work tomorrow.

I am downloading all my pictures on Photo Bucket and it's taking forever. So I will start today without pictures and answer questions if I can. Then I will get on with this review.

Thanks for being patient,

denise

Put Me on a Ship---I'm guessing with so many people cruising, there's going to be a few cranks. Sometimes people need to take a deep breath, count to 10 and think about the other side. In this case, the couple obviously didn't realize the Budget Van made a loop from Port to office.

Coachz70 --We were in no hurry to get off the ship. After most people were off, we went around and took some pictures of Staterooms. Including an Aft balcony. I can post it during this rewiew.

I can't help you with the menus in the Dining room. But the First day at Sea, second night was Formal Night. Carnival called it Cruise Elegant. The menu had Lobster. My Dad asked for an extra Lobster. Before our dinner arrived, Michael our Waiter, asked my DH if he wanted a second Lobster because he ended up with an extra. Naturally he said yes. Surprise to all of us when the two guys were given not just an extra lobster on the plate, they were given two complete meals. I wished I had my camera for that one.

Archived