Spa Access on Sojourn

Paminflorida

I've read a couple of threads about purchasing spa access, either for a day or for the entire cruise. We will be sailing on Sojourn for 15 days in March/April - anyone know what the fees would be for a day versus the entire cruise? Is it worth it IYO?

On a 16 days cruise in Dec12/Jan13 it was 300 usd / couple for the cruise or 30 usd / day and person.

IMHO not worth the money, spa was in bad shape, thermal sauna permanently broken, one of the loungers broken, kneipp pool out of water most of the time. it wasn't crowded at all, so I assume that day passes should be available.

I have not used those spa services, but I think it is horrible that the area and it's offerings are in such a sorry state. Since they are a subcontractor for Seabourn, can't the firm be compelled to fix them?

Yes it is quite shocking - I think we will make a visit on our first day onboard and check out the situation. I liked the idea of the private outdoor area on the Big Sister, since my husband is a SeaDream and Little Sister fan, and needed some convincing to sail with a lot more passengers. But if the spa area is not in great shape, we will just hang out more on our veranda or look for a private spot elsewhere. Anyone have a different experience?:eek:

Prior to our first "big sister" cruise I shared your concerns. However, once on board we found our fears were misplaced. A couple of our favorite more private areas were the sundeck on deck 11 and the chaises on the nicely shaded narrow terrace on deck 10 ( in front of the penthouse suites toward midship).

Thanks Chairsin that's very helpful! I am thinking that mabye I will book a couple of massages and purchase a day pass for my DH for those days. For some reason the dear man does not like massages -- I'll never understand that! One more question - I'm assuming that if I get a service, I also will be able to have access for the full day - does anyone know if that's correct?

.... I am thinking that mabye I will book a couple of massages and purchase a day pass for my DH for those days.....

We didn't use any Spa services on our first (and only) Seabourn cruise, but I have booked a couple for our upcoming cruise. I notice my credit card has already been charged in full for these services. Is this usual? I was planning to use "onboard credit".

On the larger Seabourn ships I always use the spa facility.

The deck areas are very quiet and you can read and sleep without the usual noise that you get around the pool.

The price was $300 for myself and my wife on the eighteen day Christmas and New year cruise.I use the steam room every day and the sauna.

Thanks Chairsin that's very helpful! I am thinking that mabye I will book a couple of massages and purchase a day pass for my DH for those days. For some reason the dear man does not like massages -- I'll never understand that! One more question - I'm assuming that if I get a service, I also will be able to have access for the full day - does anyone know if that's correct?

If you get a spa service you can use the spa's serene area at no extra charge that day - the spa attendant even gave us a card key so we could come back later. We used it twice the day of our treatments ... one time we were the only ones there and the other time there were two other people there. While we were there no spa attendant came by to check on us, so we were on our own.

I found the rear swimming pool area (outside the Club) nearly as quiet and the pool attendant came by regularly with water, iced tea or whatever else you wanted.

I know Johnycruise is correct in that you can use the serene area after your treatment for as long as you like on the same day.

A couple points I would like to make about my experience with the spa on the Sojourn.

First, be careful with the bill. The price quoted to you includes gratuity. They will bring you a slip to sign that includes a line for gratuity. Nowhere on this slip will it say the price included 18% gratuity (I think, but % might be different), or that the gratuity line is for additional gratuity. When you get the final copy to take with you the fine print makes it clear that you have just double tipped. I felt too sheepish to point this out at the time. They are probably counting on this.

Secondly, the steam room was never in service during our cruise. I checked every day because I like a good steam bath. The little circular pool that is supposed to have cold water in half and hot water in the other half wasn't working as well. Some days it was just empty. Other days, the water was at room temperature throughout.

Lastly, you should temper your expectations about the spa. In relative terms, I have been to much worse and had worse massages (is there ever a truly bad massage?). However, we had just come from the Waldorf Astoria's Roma Cavalieri which has Europe's best spa according to Conde Nast and Travel and Leisure. At this point, it is needless to say that the Sojourn's Spa was very unimpressive.

Yes it is quite shocking - I think we will make a visit on our first day onboard and check out the situation. I liked the idea of the private outdoor area on the Big Sister, since my husband is a SeaDream and Little Sister fan, and needed some convincing to sail with a lot more passengers. But if the spa area is not in great shape, we will just hang out more on our veranda or look for a private spot elsewhere. Anyone have a different experience?:eek:

I had a completely different experience on the Quest in December. Only three couples signed up; it was as if you had a huge private area to yourself. We went for the outdooor lounging space since there were four sea days. People even came by to take drink orders--one time the Hotel Director personnally brought my champagne, well, actually twice! Or you could just ask at the desk and they would call for you.

Definitely worth it and I am bummed that it is supposed to be made into spa suites.

I had a completely different experience on the Quest in December. Only three couples signed up; it was as if you had a huge private area to yourself. We went for the outdooor lounging space since there were four sea days. People even came by to take drink orders--one time the Hotel Director personnally brought my champagne, well, actually twice! Or you could just ask at the desk and they would call for you.

Definitely worth it and I am bummed that it is supposed to be made into spa suites.

Based on our experiences, the spa/serene area doesn't appear to be living up to revenue expectations for Seabourn. It is a lot of space to hold aside for 8 paying passengers. The four additional large suites will bring in much more $$$, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other ships follow suit.

Based on our experiences, the spa/serene area doesn't appear to be living up to revenue expectations for Seabourn. It is a lot of space to hold aside for 8 paying passengers. The four additional large suites will bring in much more $$$, so I wouldn't be surprised if the other ships follow suit.

completely understand the business side of that decision

Archived