Verizon and the Carribean

Tookie

I am very confused about cell phone charges for roaming. We will be going on the Mayan Mystique cruise. My 92 year old mother makes it crucial for me to check in frequently while we are away. Does anyone have any advice for what the charges might be for brief calls to the states fro either the ship or the ports? Thanks.

It worked fairly well all the time. The phone part seemed to work better than the text messages. I did see some people going to the computer room with their phones. I did not do that. My bill was a little higher (like $75) but I didn't make many calls. I think they add if you leave it on for a data charge. Someone who is better with technology might answer this better than I did. I think you need to gulp and use it though because of your family situation.

If you want to make calls from the Caribbean, Verizon will work but the service can be very spotty, and you will need to enable International Calling on your Verizon Account BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE UNITED STATES.

As far as roaming charges are concerned, if you are not using a Smart Phone, they are not even worth worrying about.

If you DO use a Smart Phone, be aware that unless you put the phone into "Airplane Mode", it will be searching for Internet signal whenever it is turned on, and THAT can run into some serious money. Those ''data charges'' are what most people who discuss " Excessive Roaming Charges" are really talking about.

Thank you Jim and Stan. They would have gotten me since I would never think to put the phone on airplane mode.

Airplane mode will usually disable phone calling as well as data and isn't usually necessary as long as your phone has an option to turn off 'data roaming'.

If you are not sure then at least make sure you find out how to turn off cellular data so you can still use the normal voice features of the phone.

Archived