Recent Reviews

Quite agree Topsey , we were awake into the small hours mulling over the same thing. ( Poor DH as he has to be up at 5 for work !)

If Thomsons were the cheaper option you would forgive slow service and the many other issues too numerous to mention that are being reported back on by reviewers on the many sites and posts on here but it is not the cheap option any more.

There are two or three P&O and Fred Olsen's we could do around the same date we are booked on the Dream that are currently working out cheaper (much cheaper in one case!) or about the same for 12 night approx (one is a 14 night cruise) as opposed to our Cruise & Stay with Thomsons so all sounding very appealing! To be frank we spend so long saving and looking forward to one cruise a year / eighteen months it needs to be good.

We are easy going people, we do not look for things to complain about at all and like true brits make the most of things when they are not 100%.

However......

the fact is that now Thomsons know about all these pionts that are being raised that could easily take the shine off your holiday and if they choose to do nothing about them it says a lot and we like many will vote with our wallets and move on.

This will only be our 4th cruise so still new to all this but once we start to dip our toe in and try the other brands ( we have once already) will we and all the others that are not happy come back .....:confused:

I havnt looked further than that at the moment but will over the next few weeks.

We will wait it out a little longer but would like to know Thomsons are sorting this lot out before i pay my final balance!

All such a shame as up until these last couple of weeks we have been so looking forward to it but the niggles and worries are growing the more i read :(

Has a thought whilst pondering my options last night, i may be wrong but it does seem that the Caribbean Cruises do seem to raise more issues than the Mediterranean ones. The sewerage smell gets mentioned more often, as do service issues and shortages.

Is this because there are elements that affect the Caribbean cruise that do not effect the Med ones, such as port sanitation issues hence the pong, supply chain issues, hence shortages and is it a new crew bedding in together that has an effect on service?

I booked our Oct cruise last June (before we had even set foot on the Dream) and was confident i had made the right choice, as my Holiday on the Dream the next month was a great one i knew i had. I have taken the word Platinum out of my vocabulary as far as the Dream is concerned, and replaced it with 'facelift' ( i could do with one of those :D) so my expectations on that front are nearer to what has actually taken place.

After a good nights sleep, i feel far more positive, as i recalled having the same thoughts last year, based on reviews, which were unfounded IMO.

Don't get me wrong there were niggles, very minor, but did not tarnish the experience. And if i could wave a magic wand and make one thing better it would have been the food, it was ok, nice, but just that. The only comparison i can make is that the food in the a la carte restaurant is good in fact far better than the Orion MDR but of the same standard as the MDR on the P & O Cruise we recently took, so yes THOMSONS it can be done and keep the bean counters happy! And yes a peak times last year the waiting staff did seem a little rushed, but their service made up for it.

So going back to having my Cup half full again, looking forward to introducing my Daughter to an new type of Holiday.

sorry....same for Dreamgirl & Topsey

dont let me put you off

there is still lots to enjoy

they are small things really on their own nothing serious...I think we were there at a bad time...ship was full....crew were clearly struggling with demand...seemed overstretched....some were quite surly? (overworked probably?) they kept running out of things

it was a series of niggles that you could easily disregard if they came one at a time

don’t forget…I had family in tow so everything was magnified X 5

dont worry, go and enjoy

:) I think finding out that i could only go on MSC with a baby under 6 months suddenly snapped me out of it :)

Although, to play Devils Advocate, the reviews were (and still are) bad, including yours, so saying go ahead, you'll enjoy it, what if they don't, i don't think you, or ony of us, can make that decision for them?

At the end of the day, wherever i go, i read reviews, and as said, i ignore the best and worst ones. I will also count up how many good/bad there are in the first say 20 reviews, and good has to be about 80% over bad, or i just won't go.

I know it's all opinion, but i like to make a judgement based on others opinions, as at the end of the day, if you are only having 1 major holiday, you want to give yourself the best chance of it being right.

Thanks Sodafountain and Geomagot , i feel such a moaner.

Just getting more worried as all the new reviews start coming in.

My main bone of contention is that Thomsons should be right on top of all this mainly as they over-hyped the Platinum over haul and made it sound so fantastic when its just been a re-furb that was badly needed.

Not so much for us but the new customers who have booked on the back of the hype, this is going to be a PR disaster for Thomsons as the months go on as there will be (i think ) thousands of very unhappy new passengers all expecting one thing and getting another!

We like the older ships but ive got to say one of the reasons we booked the Dream was the Platinum upgrade and over the last few months i like everyone else has been more than excited to see what the results were .

We are not overly picky as i said before but the "not so Platinum " refurb along with all the other things Geomagot mentioned will niggle at me im afraid.

I was bought up in the catering trade, my family had several resturants etc, i leaned from the bottom up and the customer is king, i was taught that you nipped all the little niggles in the bud, first impressoions are lasting etc etc so just cannot understand why Thomsons are not already replying to the reviews and getting things sorted along with a little damage limitation for the new cruisers who are expecting a floating Platinum hotel!

Although, to play Devils Advocate, the reviews were (and still are) bad, including yours, so saying go ahead, you'll enjoy it, what if they don't, i don't think you, or ony of us, can make that decision for them?

At the end of the day, wherever i go, i read reviews, and as said, i ignore the best and worst ones. I will also count up how many good/bad there are in the first say 20 reviews, and good has to be about 80% over bad, or i just won't go.

I know it's all opinion, but i like to make a judgement based on others opinions, as at the end of the day, if you are only having 1 major holiday, you want to give yourself the best chance of it being right.

I apologise that you feel my reviews were bad, they were not intended to be bad, they were intended to be an honest apraisal of the facts as I saw them and how they affected me

however I agree...the varied opinions of others who have had the relevant experience does count for a quite a bit

but, I am very aware that one mans rubbish may be another’s treasure

I have pointed out the issues that bothered me personally

I didnt allow any of those issues to spoil my holiday

I have made it clear that there were things that were enjoyable and others that were not so

I am not trying to convince others to go, stay or do anything, just trying to furnish them with the facts as I experienced them

I also have no wish to worry those that are already booked and are committed to going, that would be unnecessary...they may find their own experiences totally different

its what YOU make it

tbh...if you cant have fun on a cruise ship in the caribbean, then were on earth can you have fun?

Has a thought whilst pondering my options last night, i may be wrong but it does seem that the Caribbean Cruises do seem to raise more issues than the Mediterranean ones. The sewerage smell gets mentioned more often, as do service issues and shortages.

Is this because there are elements that affect the Caribbean cruise that do not effect the Med ones, such as port sanitation issues hence the pong, supply chain issues, hence shortages and is it a new crew bedding in together that has an effect on service?

I booked our Oct cruise last June (before we had even set foot on the Dream) and was confident i had made the right choice, as my Holiday on the Dream the next month was a great one i knew i had. I have taken the word Platinum out of my vocabulary as far as the Dream is concerned, and replaced it with 'facelift' ( i could do with one of those :D) so my expectations on that front are nearer to what has actually taken place.

After a good nights sleep, i feel far more positive, as i recalled having the same thoughts last year, based on reviews, which were unfounded IMO.

Don't get me wrong there were niggles, very minor, but did not tarnish the experience. And if i could wave a magic wand and make one thing better it would have been the food, it was ok, nice, but just that. The only comparison i can make is that the food in the a la carte restaurant is good in fact far better than the Orion MDR but of the same standard as the MDR on the P & O Cruise we recently took, so yes THOMSONS it can be done and keep the bean counters happy! And yes a peak times last year the waiting staff did seem a little rushed, but their service made up for it.

So going back to having my Cup half full again, looking forward to introducing my Daughter to an new type of Holiday.

Hi again Topsey !

You do sound happier so hopefully by tomorrow i will too. Got to say we have been so looking forward to this cruise so i will try the posative approach too.

Last time we were on the Spirit i can only agree with you about the food situation. We found it quite bad on two nights (first and last). On the first night i ordered chicken curry, it was a chicken escolope in breadcrumbs with curry sauce ! The starter was worse and we nearly gave up on the MDR and thought we might just use the lido for the rest of the cruise but carried on and it picked up a bit but def not to the standard of RCI and P&O by any means. We tried the a la carte one night and it was great , very impressed. I know it is difficult with so many guests in MDR but if the other lines can do it then Thomsons should be able to. The service on the Spirit was fab ive got to say along with everything else, we couldnt fault it and loved the holiday .

Ive heard lots of good reviews on the Dream food in the past as well as the spirit and lets face it we could have just been un-lucky, main chef may have been off or ill, standards slipped etc so wont judge on that and would book Spirit again without a worry :)

I apologise that you feel my reviews were bad, they were not intended to be bad, they were intended to be an honest apraisal of the facts as I saw them and how they affected me

however I agree...the varied opinions of others who have had the relevant experience does count for a quite a bit

I have made it clear that there were things that were enjoyable and others that were not so

I am not trying to convince others to go, stay or do anything, just trying to furnish them with the facts as I experienced them

I also have no wish to worry those that are already booked and are committed to going, that would be unnecessary...they may find their own experiences totally different

its what YOU make it

tbh...if you cant have fun on a cruise ship in the caribbean, then were on earth can you have fun?

Please dont worry at all that you may have overly worried me Geomagot. Im just a worry wart anyway. :rolleyes:

As i said on another post, its mainly the new to Thomsons customers i feel for who are all expecting a floating Platinum hotel and will not be getting it!

I really feel Thomsons should be thinking fast to limit the damage before the real moans start , and they will im very sure of that ;);)

[i think we are all very privileged to be able to go on these holidays. I'm sure, as a child holidaying at Hayling Island every year in old wartime huts, I never could have imagined the places I would visit in later life :)

Too true Linda- we are very fortunate to be able to afford these cruises! That needed saying.

I too remember my 'holidays' as a child- a 7 day 'runabout' ticket on the train- day trips every day to Yorkshire coast resorts-Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington, Hornsea etc. And my Dad made his own way there by cycle!

Flopsy

Please dont worry at all that you may have overly worried me Geomagot. Im just a worry wart anyway

As i said on another post, its mainly the new to Thomsons customers i feel for who are all expecting a floating Platinum hotel and will not be getting it!

I really feel Thomsons should be thinking fast to limit the damage before the real moans start , and they will im very sure of that ;)

:DI still worry that worrying and being worried may worryingly become a worrying trend to worry about when things conspire to worry people when their worried...... worryingly?:D:D

so stop fretting....how bad can it be?.....its not like you’ll have to eat spinach all week or anything……no wait!....sorry;):o

:DI still worry that worrying and being worried may worryingly become a worrying trend to worry about when things conspire to worry people when their worried...... worryingly?:D:D

so stop fretting....how bad can it be?.....its not like you’ll have to eat spinach all week or anything……no wait!....sorry;):o

Ah now thats put it all in perspective , ha ha , made me chuckle .

Yes i will try to chill, i promise ...:cool:

[i think we are all very privileged to be able to go on these holidays. I'm sure, as a child holidaying at Hayling Island every year in old wartime huts, I never could have imagined the places I would visit in later life :)

Too true Linda- we are very fortunate to be able to afford these cruises! That needed saying.

I too remember my 'holidays' as a child- a 7 day 'runabout' ticket on the train- day trips every day to Yorkshire coast resorts-Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington, Hornsea etc. And my Dad made his own way there by cycle!

Flopsy

Hi Linda and Flopsy, i seem to have been on here all morning and getting no work done lol, work at home self employed so will have to wag my finger at myself and get cracking! :eek:

Just wanted to say i do appriciate the cruises very much , possibly far more than some who can book one or more a year without having to overly worry about the cost.

We are sadly not in the postion to take a chance on a holiday that we have to save hard for for eighteen months its as simple as that, it realy is a major expense for us thats why i want it to be right im afraid but we def do not expect perfection by any means ;)

Just need to win the lottery i think ! :) :rolleyes:

Hi Geomagot

As a bit of a lurker on these pages ... I don't know a lot so it’s difficult to comment on things... I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for all the information you have given about your last cruise on the Dream. I found it to be very informative & delivered with good humour. As confirmed buffet eaters we want to know things like how long the queues are and how they are organised (or not) & things like the size of the cups in the room. In fact having booked the Dream for the first time for April I was getting worried from the Thomson blurb about “Platinum Service” that this ship would be too posh for us, but your comments on things like shorts seen in the main dining room have been a source of reassurance to me. (Not that I plan to wear a string vest at the captain’s table, but I wear a tie all year at work & I like the opportunity not to wear one on holiday). So on behalf of us NCL sailing lurkers, I genuinely thank you for your very detailed observations… Of course if you if had made any negative comment on the old Ocean Village, it would be a different matter.

By the way, off thread, did you say there were working mini refrigerators in the outside plus cabins on the Dream?

Its a fact that some people will have an amazing holiday experience and on the very same trip someone else will have a terrible time, been there, done that!

I like reading opinions and reviews good and bad. I like to be armed with all the little tips, dos and don'ts that sometimes are there not so much in print but by reading between the lines a lot can be learned.

A lot will always depend on the individual and their expectations. I've read lots about the food, some folk don't think its that good. Not having been on Dream yet I can't comment but last time I was on Destiny, people moaned about nothing decent to eat!! Really?? Spoilt for choice I was!! Try eating something other than chips!!

Opinions will always be personal, you just need to find out for yourself......

Geomagot - I like your honesty in your findings, you shouldn't tell people what they want to hear if it isn't how you saw it. Thanks for taking the time to detail your experience and be assured none of it has put me off, instead I feel quite prepared and can't wait :D

its what YOU make it

Geo, I don't feel you need to apologise for your honesty. This is a forum for opinions which is exactly what you have given and which others will disagree with but which contributes to people making informed choices. Thomson are also quick to react to their customers opinions in an effort to please their customer base.

At least people are now aware that the platinum refurb of the Dream is a bit of a damp squib by all accounts so will not be disappointed when they go aboard. I really appreciate being forewarned about things. I am keeping a close eye on the Dream reviews as was considering giving her a try next year as we haven't been on her.

Originally posted by gizzie4

"Beginning to wish we hadn't booked it now as it sounds as though this may not be for us.

loved the entertainment on deck on the Celebration, was lovely to sit outside on a warm evening and be entertained. Didn't realise they don't do much on the Dream, guess we didn't do our homework.

Hi Gizzie4,

you were booked on Dream last year and changed to Celebration to be with your son and that was understandable but if you had stayed on Dream you would have had a GREAT time - as you no doubt had on Celebration. We came home on the Saturday and I was in the TA the following Monday booking 2weeks B2B this June so it couldn't have been THAT bad. If you don't enjoy Dream I will be VERY surprised. I'm not saying it will be perfect but what holiday is?

I totally agree with Jim The Scot - "If I had taken heed of the reviews prior to my first cruise on the Dream some three years ago I would have cancelled.I didn`t and glad I didn`t and now on my fourth.If you look for faults/negatives you`ll find them like you will on most holidays. Go with an open mind and enjoy."

Hi Geomagot

By the way, off thread, did you say there were working mini refrigerators in the outside plus cabins on the Dream?

Yay!...I have found something positive.....yes, the fridges are great!:cool: (A bit dented) but working great!....and they lock (with a key you can take with you)...you can safely leave your stash of chocolate/beer in there

use them like a free safe (taps nose) they are free!;)

would I ever bash the OV? ...No, Never, luved the OV...it was a sad day when it sailed off to OZ, and the old Island Star too...they were spoiling us back then really

thanks guys eversomuch for your nice comments (appreciated)

Stevio have a great time on the Dream

and you too whistle.....maybe see you on board soon? (taps nose again);):)

Just wanted to say i do appriciate the cruises very much , possibly far more than some who can book one or more a year without having to overly worry about the cost.

We are sadly not in the postion to take a chance on a holiday that we have to save hard for for eighteen months its as simple as that, it realy is a major expense for us thats why i want it to be right im afraid but we def do not expect perfection by any means ;)

Hi Dreamgirl

Yes i understand what you mean about expecting a lot from your holiday because it has taken a lot of saving up! I think a lot of us on here are paying for our cruises out of current income lol.That's why I'm still working part-time at 67- because I love to go on cruises! But I do enjoy working two days a week- it's getting out of bed at 6.45 I don't like lol!

Anyway Dreamgirl I hope you have managed to get back to your work again! Nobody to tell you off when you are self employed!

Just got to pay for my May 2013 Dream cruise next week and just at this moment there isn't enough in the account!

Flopsy

Yay!...I have found something positive.....yes, the fridges are great!:cool: (A bit dented) but working great!....and they lock (with a key you can take with you)...you can safely leave your stash of chocolate/beer in there

use them like a free safe (taps nose) they are free!;)

WOW... Even the mighty NCL aft balcony cabin with fridge, coffee maker, safe & cabin service (all for free)... did not have a fridge that locked!!! This information alone is making me really look forward to the cruise.

I will have somewhere to hide the extra little tubs of milk that I half inch off the trolleys in the corridors.... Only joking Thomsons.

Seriously though we do appreciate a fridge in the cabin usually to refill from the tap & chill our own bottled water. Sounds a bit tight I know, but I am... Off now to see how much more the cruise has gone down in price since booked, & pull a bit more hair out. :eek:

Hi Dreamgirl

Yes i understand what you mean about expecting a lot from your holiday because it has taken a lot of saving up! I think a lot of us on here are paying for our cruises out of current income lol.That's why I'm still working part-time at 67- because I love to go on cruises! But I do enjoy working two days a week- it's getting out of bed at 6.45 I don't like lol!

Anyway Dreamgirl I hope you have managed to get back to your work again! Nobody to tell you off when you are self employed!

Just got to pay for my May 2013 Dream cruise next week and just at this moment there isn't enough in the account!

Flopsy

ha ha Flopsey, i know the feeling very well ! ;)

Hi Linda,

My first experience of travelling was a day trip by coach to Blackpool age 16 in the 60s, before that our family visited the zoo 6 miles away once a year. Made up for it since have travelled extensively - but only one cruise+a Nile cruise - also IE in 11 weeks. Our parents never even imagined going to another country (other than my fathers years in war) it wasn't the way of life for most people.

Have a really lovely holiday next week :)

Carole

Hi Barnowl,

Sounds like my holidays in Hayling Island were positively luxurious then :D

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope you husband is OK now and looking forward to your cruise.

Just finished packing, apart from a panic with a padlock and DH going out to buy some deck shoes and coming back with slippers, all is going well. Luckily there is a super shopping centre in Gran Canaria aand now we have an excuse for going there!

Off to Gatwick after tea

Back next weekend with all the info

TTFN

Thanks Jim, sorry if i sounded like a real moaner. Lets hope its all ok , been so looking forward to it :)

Not at all Dreamgirl(well maybe a wee bit;):D).I aired my concerns on reviews I read prior to my first cruise on the Dream,only natural.

My main bone of contention is that Thomsons should be right on top of all this mainly as they over-hyped the Platinum over haul and made it sound so fantastic when its just been a re-furb that was badly needed.

Not so much for us but the new customers who have booked on the back of the hype, this is going to be a PR disaster for Thomsons as the months go on as there will be (i think ) thousands of very unhappy new passengers all expecting one thing and getting another!

I think thats crux of the matter for some and although that was not my reasoning for booking the Dream again I must admit I expected a lot more from the refurb

its what YOU make it

Like others have said you have nothing to apologise for geo,you gave a honest,open and personal opinion.I highlighted negatives in my past Dream reviews and will so again if necessary on my return from the next cruise

I wasn`t having a dig at your previous post BTW

Hi Barnowl,

Sounds like my holidays in Hayling Island were positively luxurious then :D

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope you husband is OK now and looking forward to your cruise.

Just finished packing, apart from a panic with a padlock and DH going out to buy some deck shoes and coming back with slippers, all is going well. Luckily there is a super shopping centre in Gran Canaria aand now we have an excuse for going there!

Off to Gatwick after tea

Back next weekend with all the info

TTFN

Have a fab time Linda - look forward to hearing on your return :)

I intend to go with an open mind, we are both fairly easily pleased. However it would be nice to see something done about these little niggles, imagine how fab Thomson's would be if they got it sorted. Reading a couple of reviews from last year, it seems there was an issue with Lukewarm food then, so maybe Thomson can at least try and show they are doing something to sort it.

2 Weeks, 3 days and counting :D

I intend to go with an open mind, we are both fairly easily pleased. However it would be nice to see something done about these little niggles, imagine how fab Thomson's would be if they got it sorted. Reading a couple of reviews from last year, it seems there was an issue with Lukewarm food then, so maybe Thomson can at least try and show they are doing something to sort it.

2 Weeks, 3 days and counting :D

Archived