Airport, transfer to Dock and what inbetween?

Hi all, we are arriving at Sydney airport at 7.30am (I know, awful hour!) for our cruise on the Pacific Pearl 8/3. I have contacted P&O and the rep said....... no transfer at that time in the AM (I figured that!) and that we should store our luggage and go and play in Sydney for five hours. She somehow didn't acknowledge my request to get a transfer at any point.

She said get a taxi to the port for 1pm - that is when they start boarding.

We are not much interested in seeing Sydney, been there, done that.

Questions:

Surely we can go to the port before 1pm? I would rather sit there than the airport. We want to go shop for soft drinks beforehand anyway.

Do they really not start boarding till 1pm? I thought I had read of people being on ship by mid day and having lunch?

One other thing. Is it true that there is barely any difference between non duty free and duty free cigarettes now? I am thinking of just bringing my own if that is the case.

Thank you for any help with this. We are first time cruisers and are trying to make the most of all of it!

Julie :)

Hi all, we are arriving at Sydney airport at 7.30am (I know, awful hour!) for our cruise on the Pacific Pearl 8/3. I have contacted P&O and the rep said....... no transfer at that time in the AM (I figured that!) and that we should store our luggage and go and play in Sydney for five hours. She somehow didn't acknowledge my request to get a transfer at any point.

She said get a taxi to the port for 1pm - that is when they start boarding.

We are not much interested in seeing Sydney, been there, done that.

Questions:

Surely we can go to the port before 1pm? I would rather sit there than the airport. We want to go shop for soft drinks beforehand anyway.

Do they really not start boarding till 1pm? I thought I had read of people being on ship by mid day and having lunch?

One other thing. Is it true that there is barely any difference between non duty free and duty free cigarettes now? I am thinking of just bringing my own if that is the case.

Thank you for any help with this. We are first time cruisers and are trying to make the most of all of it!

Julie :)

i dont know what time p&o start their transfers but you can catch a KST one http://www.kst.com.au/Sydney/Airport-Shuttle-Bus-to-City-Sydney/

and you can drop your luggage off at wharf 5 anytime after 8am and check in starts between 10am & 10.30am plus boarding commences about 11.30 -11.45 am so you should be on by 12 noon having lunch

with the smokes they were $14 per pack of 30's last july in any bar but not sure of prices now....you are allowed to bring in 50 cigs per person now into the country

if the ship calls into Port Vila you can duty free there

i dont know what time p&o start their transfers but you can catch a KST one http://www.kst.com.au/Sydney/Airport-Shuttle-Bus-to-City-Sydney/

and you can drop your luggage off at wharf 5 anytime after 8am and check in starts between 10am & 10.30am plus boarding commences about 11.30 -11.45 am so you should be on by 12 noon having lunch

with the smokes they were $14 per pack of 30's last july in any bar but not sure of prices now....you are allowed to bring in 50 cigs per person now into the country

Thank you so much for the information. I will contact kst. It all sounds so much better now!

Not much point in Duty Free smokes now....

I have a mental picture of smokers after Port Vila , lined up on the railing smoking like crazy , all saying,

..these were duty free and so cheep , but we have to smoke them all before we get home.:D:D

Not much point in Duty Free smokes now....

I have a mental picture of smokers after Port Vila , lined up on the railing smoking like crazy , all saying,

..these were duty free and so cheep , but we have to smoke them all before we get home.:D:D

Ahhhh the joys of addiction. Gotta get that fix! :(

Ahhhh the joys of addiction. Gotta get that fix! :(

we'll be in Port Vila in 3 weeks so i'll check out the duty free shop, most of the ship goes to Kung Fei, its the last shop on the left

if you need an internet cafe they have a couple in Vila but i like the one just near Prouds shop as its only about $4 for half hour

we'll be in Port Vila in 3 weeks so i'll check out the duty free shop, most of the ship goes to Kung Fei, its the last shop on the left

if you need an internet cafe they have a couple in Vila but i like the one just near Prouds shop as its only about $4 for half hour

Thank you very much, I really appreciate you checking this out.:D

Hi Julie,

A couple of points: there is barely any luggage storage in Sydney (including the OPT), but if you visit the Museum of Sydney next to the Overseas Passenger Terminal, they do have a place where you can leave luggage. There's quite a bit to see around Circular Quay - the Opera House, the Rocks, the Botanical Gardens, the Quay itself are all within easy walking range. You may also be able to check your luggage in on the ship earlier than you can embark yourself. Good luck!

Hi Julie,

A couple of points: there is barely any luggage storage in Sydney (including the OPT), but if you visit the Museum of Sydney next to the Overseas Passenger Terminal, they do have a place where you can leave luggage. There's quite a bit to see around Circular Quay - the Opera House, the Rocks, the Botanical Gardens, the Quay itself are all within easy walking range. You may also be able to check your luggage in on the ship earlier than you can embark yourself. Good luck!

the OP is cruising from wharf 5 and she can drop her luggage off anytime after 8am and wander around Darling Harbour

Hi Julie,

Thank you for the great suggestions. This is our first cruise (bet you can tell that!) I am SO excited! :o

Sorry to butt in to your questions rubytuesday999but I would like to ask rkmw a question re smokes. If I buy a carton at Noumea-have read they are cheap there or at Villa can I take them with me back on board & smoke them for the rest of the cruise? Rubytuesday999 you will have a great time on the Pacific Pearl. We are going on the 14th FEB for our 3rd cruise on her. What ports are you going to? Just go with the flow & you will be hooked like most of us. Suexxx

Sorry to butt in to your questions rubytuesday999but I would like to ask rkmw a question re smokes. If I buy a carton at Noumea-have read they are cheap there or at Villa can I take them with me back on board & smoke them for the rest of the cruise? Rubytuesday999 you will have a great time on the Pacific Pearl. We are going on the 14th FEB for our 3rd cruise on her. What ports are you going to? Just go with the flow & you will be hooked like most of us. Suexxx

Sue, i have bought smokes in Noumea but you need a passport to buy but you must spend over $40 so that normally works out that you have to buy 2 cartons and they deliver to the ship and they may kept them until the last night so i would buy them in Vila and you can take them yourself and smoke them onboard....you are allowed only 50 smokes per person to bring back into the country.....i havent been to Vila since last july so i dont know the prices now

Close rkmw :) its Fung Kuei.

End of street Bayside next to the Anchor Inn which has free internet and is a good stop off for a refreshment.

IMG_2443xx.jpg.82793ed0616873ac7c68aef1680bc92b.jpg

Close rkmw :) its Fung Kuei.

End of street Bayside next to the Anchor Inn which has free internet and is a good stop off for a refreshment.

yes close enough but all the regulars know the place but there's another couple of duty free shops in town, used to good before Gillard cut the allowance, wonder they havent cut the alcohol?

yes close enough but all the regulars know the place but there's another couple of duty free shops in town, used to good before Gillard cut the allowance, wonder they havent cut the alcohol?

I guess Smoking is seen as worse than drinking?

I used to be a packet a day but saw the light a few years ago.

Too expensive in too many ways.

We are going to the Isles of Pines, Mare, Lifou and Noumea. I think I am already hooked!:D

We are going to the Isles of Pines, Mare, Lifou and Noumea. I think I am already hooked!:D

Ruby, seeing you are going to Noumea i will give you directions to the duty free but you MUST take you passport with you, last year they cost approx $35 for a carton of 200 but you had to spend over $40 so that meant you had to buy 2 cartons but you are allowed 50 cigs per person to bring into Australia so if you have any non smoking friends give them the extra to carry thru customs

this is the directions to the duty free

Noumea Duty Free

When you walk out of the cruise terminal turn to the left and cross the main road at the first set of lights. Walk down that street (it is on the left-hand side of Coconut Square). Walk five blocks and turn into the street that has the old Town Hall (now a museum) on the corner. Walk to the next street and Marlene's is on the corner

bob

I just checked the KST link and it indicates transfers from the Airport to hotels. I didn't see anything that included the ports. Did I look in the wrong place?

I just checked the KST link and it indicates transfers from the Airport to hotels. I didn't see anything that included the ports. Did I look in the wrong place?

they pick up and drop off at wharf 5 but once the ships go to white bay they may not

I have sent an inquiry to KST, as I found the same thing. I have yet to get a response. I will give it a few days then call them directly.

Ruby, seeing you are going to Noumea i will give you directions to the duty free but you MUST take you passport with you, last year they cost approx $35 for a carton of 200 but you had to spend over $40 so that meant you had to buy 2 cartons but you are allowed 50 cigs per person to bring into Australia so if you have any non smoking friends give them the extra to carry thru customs

this is the directions to the duty free

Noumea Duty Free

When you walk out of the cruise terminal turn to the left and cross the main road at the first set of lights. Walk down that street (it is on the left-hand side of Coconut Square). Walk five blocks and turn into the street that has the old Town Hall (now a museum) on the corner. Walk to the next street and Marlene's is on the corner

bob

Thank you Bob, that is so nice of you to spell it out for us!:o

Thank you Bob, that is so nice of you to spell it out for us!:o

Ruby thats ok but when you get to Noumea you will come out at the tourist information and you can get a map of Noumea and any questions just ask them.....we get our passport stamped to say we have been there

we cruise just over 2 weeks but we dont stop at Noumea, we go to Vila instead

I had received a reply from my KST inquiry, it had gone into spam so I have only just found it. They sent back a quote of $32.40 for two of us and a link to pay online. So I did!

Archived