Anyone recently back from Sapphire (Alaska)... Have some questions

SF

Haven't seen any recent posts from people returning from the Sapphire... Alaska Cruise. Have some questions so hopefully someone will post.

1. What time was embarkation in Seattle at Pier 30?

2. Who was the entertainment on board?

3. Is it true they did away with the 4 alternative dining menus? Can you still

ask for it in the traditional dining room if you don't like the main menu

selection?

4. How was the weather? We're trying to decide what to pack....long sleeve

shirts or short sleeves with a jacket?

5. How was disembarkation, what time did they start allowing people off? I

heard it's real disorganized and hard to find your luggage, is this true?

Any info regarding the cruise would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Haven't seen any recent posts from people returning from the Sapphire... Alaska Cruise. Have some questions so hopefully someone will post.

1. What time was embarkation in Seattle at Pier 30?

2. Who was the entertainment on board?

3. Is it true they did away with the 4 alternative dining menus? Can you still

ask for it in the traditional dining room if you don't like the main menu

selection?

4. How was the weather? We're trying to decide what to pack....long sleeve

shirts or short sleeves with a jacket?

5. How was disembarkation, what time did they start allowing people off? I

heard it's real disorganized and hard to find your luggage, is this true?

Any info regarding the cruise would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

We got off the Sapphire on Sunday......I'll try to answer your questions....

1. We got to the port about 10:00 a.m........there were probably 25 people in front of us.........it was very organized......(Not like Ft. Lauderdale where everyone crowds the doors)they had us in lines......first come, first served....they took our luggage directly from us and put it on a conveyor belt that went directly to the bins that go to the ships. Then let us into the

terminal building where we waited in a line until approximately 11:30 when they started processing us.......took about 20 minutes for us to get thru that line.......we were on board alittle before noon time, our earliest ever.

2. Two shows by the Princess Players(?? I can't remember what they're called)....one was "Piano Man" and one was "Curtains Up".....they were great, the singers were really good(they're dancing wasn't quite as good, but still very entertaining)......I loved Piano Man, all tunes from the 70's/80's and they did a wonderful job with it. There was a singer/entertainer one night....Brandi something, she was pretty good. A comedian and a comedian/magician were the other two nights, they weren't as good, but okay.

3. Yes, they have done away with the alternative menus. (They said just temporarily) All the restuarants have the same menu each night. They also have their "always available" items. The food was good, but I was alittle disappointed(not too much) I believe my other cruises with Princess had better food.

4. As far as clothing, I think it depends when you are going. I wish I had packed warmer clothes. We had GORGEOUS weather.......very warm in the ports, so short or long sleeved lighter weight shirts were fine.......BUT....it is very cold standing out on deck. We had a balcony and wanted to spend alot of time out there as the scenery is so incredible and I WAS COLD. When the ship is moving it is windy and very chilly(and I"m from NOrthern Maine, so I'm used to the cold) We needed hats and gloves and I had a fleece vest and rain coat on and I wished I had brought warmer pants (I wore jeans) or long underwear!!!

5. I will contradict all you've heard about disembarkation in Seattle........IT WAS GREAT....I was really impressed, they have their act together. Sapphire were scheduled to start disembarkation at 7:00.......we did........our color was scheduled to be called at 8:15, we were called at 8:14. Its a pretty long line thru customs(not Princess fault). The luggage was all arranged by color AND number......it was much easier to find than in FLorida.......and we were at the Renaissance checking in at 9:15.....Yes we had an extra day in Seattle and the Renaissance let us check in at 9 in the morning......it was smooth and like clockwork.......don't worry........we were very impressed with the process.

No Problem.....any other questions let me know..........I have come back recommending to all my friends/relatives that they take this cruise........it was some of the most incredible scenery I have ever witnessed. I was just awe struck for most of the time.......We went to the Grand Canyon last year and certainly this rivals the views........What a fantastic country we have!!!!!!!

Yes, we were in Alaska about 10 years ago and I still remember the fabulous scenery. Last time we did Hubbard Glacier and this time we are cruising Tracy Arm. What did you do in each port?

Did the ship dock in each port or did you have to tender in any?

How were the seas, did you encounter any rough days?

When you docked in Victoria did the traditional dining room stay on their two dining times or did it go to open seating? We figure we'll eat something prior to leaving the ship and then head to the buffet late at night when we return. We're not going to be back on time since we have traditional second seating. I believe the buffet is open late, do you know the hours?

I'm going to start organizing some of the items I want to take within the next week and I already know I'll probably overpack. The problem is you don't know what the weather is going to be like so I have to pack short sleeves and long plus sweatshirts and a jacket.

Thanks again for answering my questions. :)

We definitely didn't do everything we'd have like to have done........but $$$ kept getting in the way. The excursions are very expensive, as you probably already know, so we tried to get around on our own, but even then the fun ones are very expensive. We did a lot of hiking on our own. In Juneau the shuttle to the Mendenhall glacier is only $5 each way, so that's not too bad. In Skagway we hiked to Lower Dewey Lake and around the lake. Its a fair hike, kinda steep in the beginning and really rough on the back side of the lake, but the views were worth it. The ship also went to Tracey Arm, but we couldn't go all the way to the glacier, too many icebergs in the water. It was a gorgeous morning that we were there and the glacier would have been beautiful, but it was too dangerous. The trips in and out were spectacular, the sun was shining and the sea was really calm. They even sent a pilot boat out to take pictures of the ship it was so beautiful, we were lucky, but perhaps you'll get to the glacier. I so wanted to see calving. We did nothing in Victoria, it was late and we were tired.

Yes, the ship can dock at each port........however some of the piers are kinda out of the way and you have to take a shuttle to town.......another way to make $$$. ALthough they were quite reasonable. Only dock right in town was Ketchikan. No tendering (thank God!), but my husband suggested they tender us up to the glacier in Tracey Arm........

You go into the ocean on the way up and on the way back(the Sea Days)......those days were alittle rough, some people were sick. I took a dramamine as a precaution, but I don't think I really needed it. If you stayed in the middle of the ship you were fine. Our cabin was on Lido in the front, so it was pretty rocky some nights when we were out in the open seas.

We did personal choice dining, but the Princess Patter lists the dining hours in Victoria as Second Setting at 8:15 and the doors will close at 8:30. Horizon Court will be opened from 5:30 to 11:30 for dinner.

You will want to pack warm clothes.........I didn't think the formal dress was quite as formal as usual........

Thanks again Pat for all the great info. Sorry to hear you didn't get a chance to go all the way to the glacier. Now you have a good reason to return and sail Alaska again!!!

We don't sail until the 3rd of July so hopefully the weather will warm up. I'm only bringing jeans and short and long tops plus of course a sweatshirt and a jacket. Guess that will have to do. We live in the South so we never get to use winter clothes so I don't really want to spend extra $$$ for just a few days.

We've been to Victoria before so if we're tired we'll do like you did and just relax. Most people will be going to Buchart Gardens and the Empress Hotel which we've seen already. As for the other ports we've been there too except for Skagway. We also don't want to spend a lot of money on the excursions (agree with you some are real expensive) as it can get pricey for a family of four so we'll be doing our own thing. Probably hire a taxi for a little bit or grab a tour when we get to shore.

I guess if we do get off in Victoria we'll use the Horizon Court for dinner as we won't make it back for second seating. We're kind of upset about that as we like to eat in the dining room the last night. Also, since we'll be back late into the evening if we disembark I guess we'll have to pack during the day.

I don't think now that you mentioned it I'm going to bring my dressier formals. Probably have my daughter bring her cocktail type dresses vs. her gowns. Much easier to pack also.

Just a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. We have to disembark early on the last day of the cruise (even though we did our own air) do you happen to remember what color tags got off first? Was it red or white? I can't seem to remember which one Princess uses. We're Platinum anyway so I think that entitles us to early disembarkation if I'm not mistaking.

2. I'm assuming the first formal is Monday and the 2nd is Friday, is this right?

3. My husband and son are big trivia buffs do you happen to remember if they offered it daily and what time it was scheduled?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Oh, I think we'll definitely go back!!! It's just a really long flight for us(from Northern Maine), and seems to be so exhausting, the planes were filled to capacity each way, I felt like a sardine!!!!!!!(and probably smelled like one too by the time we got back).

BTW, I would definitely take a hat/gloves(I took those light weight gloves($2 at Walmart and earwarmers and that worked well). It can get really windy if you plan on being outside when the boat is moving and they have that really wonderful deck that is directly over the bridge, its across the entire front of the boat, but of course its outside and VERY WINDY!!!!!

You could check to see if you could use PC Dining on the last night.... they are checking room numbers on the computer now, so I guess you have to ask permission to change. AND YES, I forgot to mention, they wanted our luggage outside our stateroom BEFORE DINNER on the last night, said it creates less noise.......HOWEVER, that was not convenient for us, we needed to pack the clothes we wore to dinner, so we left it out after, and it seemed to be fine.

I believe they called Red 1 first(we were Light Blue 1 and as I said we were off by 8:15 and we didn't have a flight until the next day).......however, if its possible for you, you can do express debarkation where you carry all your own bags off and you can get off FIRST, I think 7:00 a.m........don't try to cheat, they were checking colors on EVERYONE, we had to show our colored tags or they wouldn't let us off. If you're concerned, make sure you have a copy of your airline schedule or e-ticket confirmation and take it to the Purser's desk and they'll make sure you have an early number. We had to do that the last cruise because they had us getting off too late for our flight, they changed our color easily but wanted the e-ticket confirmation(I guess to make sure we weren't lying!!!!!!!) I can't remember about Platinum.......we haven't made it that far yet....another cruise to go!!!!

Yes formal nights are the sea days.......Monday and Friday....Lobster tails on Friday if you're interested. I had the Beef Wellington instead(when you're from Maine, the Lobster tails just aren't the same on the boat).......The Wellington was wonderful.

Morning Trivia, Wheelhouse Lounge, Deck 7 at 11:30 a.m.

BTW, the Internet Cafe is REALLY NICE........There is a bar there and pastries...the easiest to use so far, you just run you card through the computer and you're right on.......some of the keys on the keyboard were kinda sticky, they might want to reconsider the pastries (hahahaha), but it was quick and easy to check your emails and LOTS of computers, no waiting most of the time, its in a big room right off the Photo Hallway.

Also, there is one of those instant print digital photo machines right there too.......just put in your digital photocard and print to CD(you have to have a CD, so get one at the Photo desk first or bring one with you from home). Or you can have the photos printed from there. I used it just to look at my pictures to make sure they were coming out okay.......very convenient.

As you can tell, I have my "Princess Patters", so I'm glad to look up anything you'd like........makes me feel like I'm still onboard!!!!!!!!

I thought I'd join in here and add a few comments to what Pat has already told you.

Trivia - there were actually 2 trivia games each day - mornings at either 11:15 or 11:30 and afternoons at either 4:15 or 4:30 (it varied each day).

Disembarkation Schedule - According to the instruction sheet provided, those who made independent arrangements and had flights before noon were Red 3, with a disembarkation time of 7:15. From what we could tell, they were pretty much on time (our scheduled time was 8:30 and we were called by 8;45). The instruction sheet also states that Elite and Platinum members "are invited to use the hospitality lounge facilities in the Club Fusion", but doesn't indicate anything about early disembarkation. As Pat said, there is a form to fill out with your flight information that you can give to the Purser before they give out the tags, so that they can schedule you for the correct time.

They do ask you to have your suitcases out by 6 pm, and a lot of people did so, although others waited until later to put them out. They say they ask you to do it early so that the crew isn't making noise collecting the suitcases while people are trying to sleep. The problem is that all those suitcases in the corridors makes the corridors crowded for people walking around.

Shows - On the first night there's a welcome aboard show that consists of the Sapphire singer and dancers, and a comedian, Scott Wyler. He has a slow, quiet delivery, and in the beginning I didn't think he was very good, but by the end of his act I was laughing a lot. He also appeared on Tuesday night, with a completely different act, which was also funny (if you like that style of comedy). The 2 big production shows were on Monday and Friday nights, and I really enjoyed them. I didn't go to the comedy/magic show on Wednesday night although I did see him perform later in the week in the Explorers Lounge. On Thursday there was a singer, Brandi Chapman. While most people seemed to have enjoyed her, I found the show to be just OK.

Victoria - In the end, we only got off the ship for a few minutes around 10 o'clock, because I wanted to try to get pictures of the ship in the dark, because we hadn't signed up for any of the excursions and we weren't sure what we wanted to do. Instead we went to our regular dinner - traditional, first seating. The dining room was less than half full, although everyone at our table was there, which made it nice. They were showing movies in the Princess Theatre all afternoon/evening, so after dinner we went to see Finding Neverland (which we hadn't seen before).

There were 2 interesting ship tours on Saturday morning/afternoon. One started as a cooking demonstration by the main chef and maitre d', followed by a tour of the ship's galley. At the end you can purchase a copy of the Princess recipe book, but there's no real pressure to do so. The other tour is of the Princess Theatre, and starts with a talk by the cruise director, stage manager, and captain of the dancers. Then they take you on stage, and then back stage, where they explain how things work. We enjoyed both of these tours (there may have been others during the week, but we didn't go to them).

Docking/Excursions - As Pat said, although we didn't tender, in Juneau and Skagway we were docked a distance from town. We didn't want to wait for the shuttle bus in Juneau (I think it was only $2 a person, but there was a long line), so we walked. It took about 15 minutes, and was really very pleasant, although it was up-hill part of the way. Once in town we took the $5 bus to Mendenhall Glacier ($10 round trip and you pay for both ways when you buy the ticket). We bought the ticket from MGT tours, but there are 2 other companies that honor each other's tickets, and the bus we took to the Glacier was actually from Last Frontier tours. The driver gave a running commentary of what we were seeing during the trip, and it was as good a tour as if we'd paid a lot more. We spent almost 2 hours at the glacier, walked out to the waterfall, and then got the shuttle back to town. If you do this, note that these busses are not fancy - they're school buses - but the trip is only about 30 minutes each way. Also, the last shuttle leaves Mendenhall Glacier at 6 pm.

In Skagway we took the but tour that goes to the Yukon. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking, and the trip was worth the money. However, it is an all day tour (8:30 am until about 3:30 pm), so there's not a lot of time for shopping or sight-seeing in Skagway.

Hope this was helpful. Any other questions?

Hi Pat and Figsgrandma:

Thank you both so much for the information and review of your trips. Figsgrandma glad you decided to join our thread. By reading your posts it helps the time pass until our cruise. Now I'm getting excited as we got our docs last week.

Is the cafe with pastries by the Internet free or do you have to pay for the coffee and sweets?

Do you remember if there were any taxi's by where you docked in Juneau and Skagway? We really don't want to wait for the bus and have to pay $8.00 just to get to town when we'll probably hire a taxi there anyways for a short tour.

How far is it to walk to the glacier once at the visitors center by Mendenhall?

Do you think we need to pre-purchase the tickets to the Lumberjack Show as we really wanted to wait to see what the weather was like but we don't want them to end up being fully booked?

Since everyone wants to get off immediately when the ship docks how was the disembarkation, were there long lines?

I really appreciate all the help you're giving as it makes planning our trip so much easier. Thanks again. :)

Pat, for PC dining...did you make reservations? (We were hoping to just show up as we're rather "early" diners). If there is a wait for a table...do you have to wait there or do they tell you when to come back..maybe a pager?

Also, does anyone remember what movies are playing (other than "Finding Neverland").

We're leaving for Seattle a week from Friday!!! Thank you all for making our cruises that much better with advance info!!!!

Deb

No Problem.....any other questions let me know..........I have come back recommending to all my friends/relatives that they take this cruise........it was some of the most incredible scenery I have ever witnessed. I was just awe struck for most of the time.......We went to the Grand Canyon last year and certainly this rivals the views........What a fantastic country we have!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info also. Our daughter & son-in-law were on yur cruise that week and they said the weather, and ship were AWESOME. We go in August so maybe won't need the long Johns !!! But you never know. It IS Alaska. Welcome home, thanks for sharing.

Deb:

We leave two weeks after you. :) Have a great cruise and take care of the Sapphire Princess for us. Don't forget to post when you return for all us anxious cruisers. Would love to hear how your cruise goes. Happy sailing!!

SF - we are going to be on the cruise with you on July 3. This will be our first time to Alaska.

Thanks to all of you for the info - we are really looking forward to this.

Just a comment on having bags out by 6:00pm - we have 2nd seating dinner and will be on shore excursions until dinner time - we will definitely not have our bags out then - we usually wait until after dinner to put them out. We have never been bothered by crew moving bags around - maybe we're just sound sleepers!

Hi Layla,

Glad to hear from someone else on our sailing. Who's cruising with you? We'll be a family of four.

We also have second seating and won't have our bags out until later in the evening, probably around 10PM as I need to put the clothes we'll be wearing in the suitcases. I'm sure we won't be the only ones.

You're going to love Alaska, the scenery is so beautiful. We enjoyed it so much the first time we're going back doing a different route.

See ya on board....counting down the days.

Okay, I"m going to take a stab at answering some of these questions....

SF--

Internet Cafe....pastries were free, I can't remember if they had coffee or not because I brought a cup along with me......of course you had to pay for the drinks(it was a full bar!!!)

Taxis--You know I can't really remember, I'm pretty sure there were taxis in both places......The walk to town in Skagway was really pretty easy(we did it 3 times)....in Juneau it looked kinda junky around, but the walk itself wasn't all that long(maybe a mile), the buses filled pretty quickly and it was cheap($1.50(or maybe $2)/person all day)but there was a long line to buy tickets.

Disembarkation at ports--We never tried to get off with the crowd.......we looked out our balcony and when the crowd thinned we left then......getting off is not a problem, but getting back on at times there were long lines going back thru security. Particularly when tours got back.

Flintstone--

PC Dining-- We also ate early(still on East Coast Time), but the Dining rooms were always pretty full. We NEVER made reservations, one dining room(Pacific Moon) the Matre d' always kinda frowned at us and said "Oh, No Reservations.........well let me see.....would you like to be seated with others (No, we wouldn't) oh well......okay......." and then we were seated immediately, we never waited, just felt like he was trying to make us make reservations. The other dining rooms were fine......Sterling fills up quickly, we ate there twice. Another time, I might go into a Dining Room and pick a table and see when I could make a reservation for THAT table........Those tables for 2 that are all shoved together are the pits!!! Its like you are eating at a table for 8!!!!!!!!!!!!

Movies--I didn't really watch them, but I think they had "Meet the Fockers" and "In Good Company" and "Fidning Neverland" and maybe another one......can't remember sorry.......

Hi, SF and Flintstone

I'll try to answer your questions.

I wasn't in the Internet cafe, so I can't answer that question.

The only port where we experienced any problem getting off the ship was Juneau, and I think that was because it was an afternoon arrival. In Ketchikan and Skagway, unless you were a very early riser the ship was already docked when you awoke, and as the starting times for tours were staggered there didn't seem to be any crowds at the gangway door, at least when we were there. In Juneau, however, people started lining up to leave at least a half hour before they opened the door (even though they had requested the night before that we not do so - and I have to admit that we were one of those on the line, although we did try to wait a while before doing so). By the time they opened the door, there was quite a crush, both on the deck above, and on the stairway leading down to, the gangway door.

I think that people going on the various Princess excursions had it a little easier. It looked like they were assembling in the various lounges, and that they were leaving from a different gangway. We were anxious to get off the ship because we knew it would take a while to get into town and find the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier, and we wanted to have enough time too walk around there before getting the shuttle back to town.

I didn't see taxis in either Juneau or Skagway. As I said, the walk into Juneau takes 15 - 20 minutes, and should be an easy walk for most people even with some of it being up hill. We didn't take the shuttle from the ship because there seemed to be a long wait. Also, I heard someone say that you don't have to pay for the shuttle on the return to the ship, but I don't know if that's true. The distance from the ship into Skagway is shorter than in Juneau, and there are no hills. Our tour left from the ship, but on the return the driver let passengers off in town if they wanted to do some shopping. The walk back to the ship was very easy. Skagway is a very small town, I think the year-round population is only about 800, although that number doubles during the tourist season, so walking around is not a problem.

At Mendenhall Glacier we didn't actually walk all the way to the glacier - I don't think that you can. Here is the official web site that gives you a lot of information, including various walking trails:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

We just sort of wandered around, and eventually followed other people out to a water fall. There's also some more info about Mendenhall Glacier on the Alaska board.

We didn't book any excursions pre-cruise, because we couldn't decide what we wanted to do, and because we were concerned about the weather. Once on the ship, Princess excursions have to be booked by 10 am of the day before (e.g., excursions on Tuesday have to be booked by 10 am on Monday), but you can book several days in advance and cancel up until that same 10 am deadline. I think that if you booked now, you could still cancel in that same time frame. Some excursions were sold out on the day we sailed, usually the most popular ones, but most seemed to be open. I don't remember seeing the Lumberjack show as one that was sold out.

Here are the movies that were shown during the cruise, a different one each day with usually 2 showings, one in the morning, the other in the afternoon: Meet the Fockers (Monday), Phantom of the Opera (Tuesday), Finding Neverland (Wednesday), In Good Company (Thursday) and The Aviator (Friday, only 1 showing). The actual times varied from day to day. As I mentioned, on Saturday, they repeated some of the movies from earlier in the week throughout the afternoon and evening, but I don't have the Saturday schedule handy.

Any other questions?

Wow, thanks you guys! It's like having our own private tour agent with all the information you've supplied. We'll be so prepared when we sail thanks to all the help you've given.

I think they should have had taxi's along with the buses to take people to town as if the line is long you're wasting so much time to get tickets. Being four we would have taken a taxi. I guess the people that couldn't walk had to wait.

Did they have any private tour operators where you docked or do you have to go to town for that? We want to take a tour but we want to book it when we get to port. I don't think for what we want we need to pre-book. We just want a city tour and a visit to Saxman Village in Ketichan and the Glacier in Juneau. I don't want to go thru Princess as I'm sure we can do better on our own.

I'm sure I'll probably think of more questions after I post this but until then thanks for answering all the previous ones.

Thank you all for the excellent information!!!!

SF...we will try to take "good" care of her :D . If you happen to hear of a rather fluffy stow-away being found in an aft cabin...that would be me!! :D

Getting off and coming home is always so hard (and depressing!!!)

Deb

Wow, thanks you guys! It's like having our own private tour agent with all the information you've supplied. We'll be so prepared when we sail thanks to all the help you've given.

I think they should have had taxi's along with the buses to take people to town as if the line is long you're wasting so much time to get tickets. Being four we would have taken a taxi. I guess the people that couldn't walk had to wait.

Did they have any private tour operators where you docked or do you have to go to town for that? We want to take a tour but we want to book it when we get to port. I don't think for what we want we need to pre-book. We just want a city tour and a visit to Saxman Village in Ketichan and the Glacier in Juneau. I don't want to go thru Princess as I'm sure we can do better on our own.

I'm sure I'll probably think of more questions after I post this but until then thanks for answering all the previous ones.

I didn't notice any independent tour operators right near the ship in Juneau or Skagway - remember, in those ports the ship docks a little out from the main part of town, and Princess sort of has the area to itself.

In Ketchikan the ship is more centrally located, and there may have been other tours operators near, if not right at, the ship.

We will be on the July 3rd cruise too and we did get our suitcases out today:-) I watched the Sapphire's "Bridge Cam" this afternoon and it looked like they made it to Victoria early, around 4:00pm. The weather there looked beautiful and I hope we have such good luck. Won't be long now.

49er

What time can we "realistically" expect to be off the ship in Juneau? We have a 5:00 booked with Captn Larry and am trying to decide if we'll have time to go out to Mendenhall and back before.

Thanks

Deb

I think it was after 2:30 before we were able to get off in Juneau - maybe even closer to 3. I don't think that gives you enough time if you have to get back for 5 pm. If you dock in the same place we did in Juneau it is not in the center of town, so that would add to the time you would need to get to Mendenhall.

Archived