Walk off

GeneD

Hi,

What is the proceedure for walking off the ship at the end of the cruise (Boston to Bermuda to Boston).

Do you not put out luggage the night before or put it out and then go to the dock and pick it up?

Do you have to do the walk off at a particular time or how does it work. Can you get a porter to help if you have to leave the ship carrying all your bags? Also there shouldn't be a customs to go through would there?

Sorry for the questions but we are driving so no need for waiting around at the end.

If you are a true "early walk off", then if you can carry all your luggage yourself with out assistance, you can get in line and leave as soon as the ship is cleared. Those folks get to leave the ship first. Otherwise, you can get a colored luggage tag the day before, different color for different exit times, leave you luggage out the night before, and then exit next morning when your color is called. Then you will pick up your luggage before proceeding through customs. Yes, porters are available at the luggage pick up point. Yes, you must go through customs regardless of how you do it.

I've often done early walk off, carrying my own luggage. Note that if you truly want to be among the first people off the ship, you will probably need to get in line 45 minutes to an hour before the estimated clearance/departure time.

We did a walkoff in Boston and while the ship moved people quickly, we realized we had a problem when we reached the taxi stand.

It seems odd that even on weekends when traffic is slow, taxi drivers do not monitor the arrival of ships.

We must have had over 100 people on line ahead of us and we were trying to make an air connection.

The staff called taxis but it took 20 minutes for a line of cars to arrive. If I had to do this again (and I will) I would arrange for a taxi pickup in my name; those that did that were happy campers.

We did finally get one as it was a small vehicle and could only take 2 passengers.

Easy walk off times will be announced, which should be before the colored tags are called. For walk offf you don't put luggage out the night before. You have to carry them off the ship and I don't think you can get help, it would defeat the purpose of walk off. But once you reach the baggage area in terminal you should be able to get a porter.

The fact that you are driving doesn't help you.

Archived